Passing of moored boats on the river

Matthew77

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have a log fitted and two GPS so we can get a pretty accurate picture of our SOG and our STW.

We too have a log fitted and two GPS's onboard,so whilst I trust the SOG ,i take the STW with a large pinch of salt (well, it is saltwater:)

18 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I will never understand why folks go to the Boat Show, buy an over-powered wedding cake boat designed to race from one marina to another in the Med or the Caribbean, and then cruise it on the Thames.  There seems to be a shortage of imagination in the design of suitable river cruisers,

Well they probably wonder why we cruise around in "floating skips". :)

They seem to cruise rivers much better than my poorly designed Liverpool Boat in any case!

RichM

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No speed limit on Breydon Water but I have still known boats to get pulled over for going too fast

Not strictly true as we found out.

You can't get pulled for speeding but you can get pulled for undue wash if there are hire boats around. Even if they wave you past it turns out. ?

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not strictly true as we found out.

You can't get pulled for speeding but you can get pulled for undue wash if there are hire boats around. Even if they wave you past it turns out. ?

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/cruiser-pilot-fined-for-speeding-on-breydon-water-1-5350304

On 02/10/2018 at 20:25, john6767 said:

On rivers no one slows down for moored boats, so expect to be violently thrown about when big cruisers go past. It does not matter how well you tie up, when they suck all the water out from under you, you just have to accept it, or stay on canals! If you are in a narrowboat then you will not even make any disturbance at the bank, so no one will know you have passed.  The only exception in lock cuts, if the river has them, I do slow down past moored boats then, but again the cruisers will not.  Been on the Thames for the last month and you just get used to it.

Not true.  You say no one.  I do.

I've just enjoyed five days going down the Thames from Oxford to Shepperton with the Narrow Boat Trust, and yes on a big river like that there's rarely a need for a narrow boat (or breasted up pair in our case) to slow down for moored boats. When you're ploughing down the middle of the river there's so much width and depth of water that boats moored to the bank don't move as you pass. In narrower parts such as a lock cut, or behind some islands, it can be an issue but there tend to be other reasons to go slower there anyway.

Although we must be getting close to the 8kph limit when going downstream, we get overtaken by the big plastic boats and the odd large passenger boat, but they don't seem to shake us about much. However we're a Grand Union town class pair, partly loaded, so not easily shaken. When on the Thames on smaller narrow boats I have felt a bit of a wobble from overtaking cruisers, but nothing alarming.

When punting in Oxford long ago I found that the occasional narrow boat posed little problem, but the bow wave from a plastic cruiser exceeding the speed limit would result in us taking on water and having to appoint someone to use the baling out pan.

Moored up in Nottingham, on the River Trent, County Hall steps.

We were passed by big 'Party-Boats', cruisers, narrow-boats, wide-beams without any rocking, but when the little 'skiffs' (even just 'pairs') went by it was if we were being attacked by a Tsunami

I don't think its 'speed' or 'size', its something else :- are these skiffs like a kind of leprechaun - "a little person wielding an influence, often malign, out of all proportion to his size".

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:48, NB Lola said:

Not true.  You say no one.  I do.

Me too.

If canal boaters cant put up with a little wave they should stick to the canals.

Edited by MartynG

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Me too.

If canal boaters cant put up with a little wave they should stick to the canals.

They could try boating over here in Brittany.  You don't get many passing boats but when they do you know about it. They don't do slow. Fuel is charged by the hour so if is flat out everywhere including into moorings and locks.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

They could try boating over here in Brittany.  You don't get many passing boats but when they do you know about it. They don't do slow. Fuel is charged by the hour so if is flat out everywhere including into moorings and locks.

On our charter last week we started with a full tank and paid according to the fuel required to refill it.

39 litres cost 60 euro!

Sail boats do quite a bit of motoring. 

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

On our charter last week we started with a full tank and paid according to the fuel required to refill it.

39 litres cost 60 euro!

Sail boats do quite a bit of motoring. 

The package we got with this boat includes for 30 hours of fuel. No mention of litres or amounts used so just based on hours. Not in my view the most sensible way of charging.

We seem to have been the only people bothering to slow down at all for moored boats, moorings or locks!

I can see now why the hire boats are so tired.

Wouldn't be happy having my boat in this marina we are in now either. Visitors which includes hire boats just find a spare mooring and ram their way in!

2 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

As was said earlier in this thread. Speed was not the issue but making excessive wash was.

Phil 

If you care to read the news article is says part of the fine was for ''failing to navigate at safe speed''.

What speed would have been considered safe ?

How is unacceptable wash measured ?

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If you care to read the news article is says part of the fine was for ''failing to navigate at safe speed''.

Since when was a news article ever accurate?

• Greenie 1

On 03/10/2018 at 10:57, Mike the Boilerman said:

When I came off the Thames (where no-one slows down for anything) I was shocked at how prissy canal boaters can get about being moved (even slightly) by passing boats. 

Yes it's ridiculous on the canals. There are so many girls blouses who think they're boaters who don't like it if their boat moves. I guess most have never ventured far from their home stretch of canal because I don't know how they'd cope with big boats passing at speed. Nobody's going to give a crap about some silly narrowboater shouting "slow down" on a river.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

The Broads consist if several rivers and each river is patrolled by a Navigation Ranger.  These guys have many years if experience of navigating rivers and as they patrol their patch each day, all day they are the arbiters of justice and DO know what's what. If they say you're travelling at an unsafe speed and you can believe it. If they say you are creating too much wash then you probably are.

The Rangers know their patch like the back of their hand and likewise they know all the vessels and their owners too.

Would you argue the toss with a policeman? I think not and don't think for one moment that there is no law and order on the Broads because there is. I have seen Nav Rangers corrall boats even seen crews of hirers turned off. And anybody failing to obey instructions could well face the wrath of the Broads Beat police who go about their business in a RIB with twin 65hp outboard (Oh and they are armed) so even if you managed to outrun the Nav launches (doubtful) the RIB would nail you in no time.

Phil 

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes it's ridiculous on the canals. There are so many girls blouses who think they're boaters who don't like it if their boat moves. I guess most have never ventured far from their home stretch of canal because I don't know how they'd cope with big boats passing at speed. Nobody's going to give a crap about some silly narrowboater shouting "slow down" on a river.

They wouldn't like it much on our swinging mooring in Wells much. You get 1/2 a dozen fishing boats passing at 2 am full speed.......rock n roll!

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

They wouldn't like it much on our swinging mooring in Wells much. You get 1/2 a dozen fishing boats passing at 2 am full speed.......rock n roll!

But not when the tide is out - mind you, its not a swinging mooring then, is it !!

They do out at a fair rate of knots don't they.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But not when the tide is out - mind you, its not a swinging mooring then, is it !!

They do out at a fair rate of knots don't they.

Yes they do. Had to adjust our ropes plenty of times in that visitors pontoon to stop the snatching on the ropes as they go past.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

....and they have slowed down by then too.

We were coming down the channel at around 5knts when one passed us on one side doing about 20+ Knots, then seconds later a second one passed on t'other side doing about the same.

It was like a fairground ride - and they were going outwards - none of this pass port-to-port

• Haha 1