Victron Easy Solar Combi

Movin' on

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Halsey said:

Hi

Thinking of investing in one of these but it’s a new product does anyone have experience in use and of a DIY install?

Keep it simple and separate whenever possible. My combi has the ability to control the solar and solar can be wired directly into it but I have mine through a separate controller. I only have this all singing and dancing unit cos it was already fitted or it would all be separates.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Keep it simple and separate whenever possible

The EasySolar combines a MPPT Solar Charge Controller, an inverter/charger and AC distribution in one enclosure. The product is easy to install, with a minimum of wiring.

As Mrs Melly suggest keep it separates - one of them will fail and you'll need to send away the whole shebang for repair, you then loose not only the part that has failed but all other aspects as well

1) Solar Controller

2) Inverter

3) Charger

4) AC Distrubution

Without those you are pretty much stuck with 12v and running the engine for power - OK if your boat is geared up for 12v living (but if it is why do you need the 'combi' ?) but if you are geared up for 230v than you are going to be struggling.

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Thanks so far - separates would normally be my pref but the appeal of this to me is the ability to DIY install

Balance that against the unappealing lack of everything when one bit breaks. 

Thanks so far - separates would normally be my pref but the appeal of this to me is the ability to DIY install

If you can DIY that, you can DIY install separates.   One of the advantage of going separate is that you can easily change and upgrade one of the items at a later date if required, as well as choose items now that suit your requirements better.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

If you really like Victron,  you can have an inverter and a separate bluesolar mppt unit which wires into the inverter, saving yourself the installation of a set of cables to the battery.

This gives you the beauty of separate units along with the guarantee that the units are compatible.

• Greenie 1

Thanks all

I’m now thinking I’ll keep the solar bit separate so victron easy plus and victron mppt - is the installation truly diy? I’m competent but electrics aren’t a strength - the boat in prospect has the simplest 12v and nothing else

NEW point - re panels what experience do people have of flexible panels which lay/stick on the roof

thanks so far

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

I’m now thinking I’ll keep the solar bit separate so victron easy plus and victron mppt - is the installation truly diy? I’m competent but electrics aren’t a strength - the boat in prospect has the simplest 12v and nothing else

If you can wire a consumer unit, you'll be able to wire the separates.

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

NEW point - re panels what experience do people have of flexible panels which lay/stick on the roof

Probably best to raise another topic for that.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Thanks all

thanks so far

If the boat is to have 12V and nothing else, then why do you want to install an inverter/charger?

I installed a Victron Easyplus on my boat for the simplicity aspect. In retrospect this was a mistake for the all the eggs in one basket, going wrong and hard to upgrade reasons given by others. On a new installation I would now use separate modules for inverter, charger, consumer unit and solar controller. Would still buy Victron bits though.

The question about it being DIY is impossible to answer as people doing DIY installations have widely varying existing skills, or motivation and ability to learn new skills. We can't know where you are on that spectrum. Only you can, or someone who knows you well.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

thanks so far

Multiple threads recently discussing this. Majority of peeps saying rigid panels are a better option. I've only ever had rigid panels but my materials experience would back up the statements by many that flexible panels can fail in a small number of years....they are just not robust enough. Heat of the roof is another potential problem which will reduce performance although in the blazing summer sun, the panels will have already charged the batteries to full. For me, more of a problem would be the corrosion under the panels. Not a problem on GRP boats but a real issue on sewer tubes. I'd always go for rigid panels.

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If the boat is to have 12V and nothing else, then why do you want to install an inverter/charger?

I installed a Victron Easyplus on my boat for the simplicity aspect. In retrospect this was a mistake for the all the eggs in one basket, going wrong and hard to upgrade reasons given by others. On a new installation I would now use separate modules for inverter, charger, consumer unit and solar controller. Would still buy Victron bits though.

The question about it being DIY is impossible to answer as people doing DIY installations have widely varying existing skills, or motivation and ability to learn new skills. We can't know where you are on that spectrum. Only you can, or someone who knows you well.

Jen

Sorry it has only got simple 12v now - not what we want but simple 240 is enough

Sorry it has only got simple 12v now - not what we want but simple 240 is enough

Ah, understand now

Are you planning to live on this boat, or will it be a holiday cruising vessel? If the later, then the consequences of an all in combi inverter/charger/solar failing are just annoying. If living aboard, then going perhaps weeks with no 240V is worse. The Easyplus range also include the AC out rcd and mcb's. With a seperate small consumer unit, then a shore line, or generator can be run in to the consumer unit, instead of via an inverter, or combi, should the inverter, or combi fail, giving you mains while the inverter is away for repair. Inverter Failure is not  uncommon, even with the better manufacturers like Victron. Keeping functions in seperate boxes gives more options for keeping your electrics going in the event of a fault.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies