water pump being weird

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

A car tyre pressure gauge is perfectly adequate - especially if its a dial type and not one of the old style telescopic ones.

If water really did come out of the air valve on what we now know is the expansion vessel then  you should really plan to repplace it withon a year or two, otherwise you may have to pressurise it again every few months.

For information. The accumulator - almost certainly the thing you just found - serves both the hot and cold system by storing a small amount of wtaer at pump cutout pressure so very small weeps or a cooling calorifier do not make the pump cut in frequently.

The one you blew up is almost certainly an expansion vessel and when properly set up it plays no significant part in the system operation because it is pressurise to the pump cut out pressure. What it does do is allow water that is expanding in the calorifier to flow into it and compress the air. This results in a far lower pressure rise in the system than would otherwise be the case and helps maximise the calorifier (hot water tank) life .

At present I think that until you do what Mike said your expansion vessel is acting like an accumulator but it will to an unknown  degree now also be minimising the pressure rise caused by water heating.

27 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

OK peeps so I've continued to explore parts of my boats which I've thus far avoided.  I found another football thingy and it's near to the pump!!  I am confident it's the accumulator.  Right? 

So one is for hot water and one is for cold water?

Anyway, I've given that a bit of a pump (not too much) and that seemed to enjoy the attention too.  I hope it was worth it as it was very hot and stuffy and a bit grubby in there.  Now, when I turn the pump off, the hot AND cold taps run for a bit?  I presume this is a 'good thing'?

I'm quite pleased with myself, and have noted that I need to buy a gauge tomorrow.  I'll have a think where I can get one.  One concerning thing is that my cold water came out brown for a few seconds just now.  But it's clear again now so I'll try not to think about that.

She?  You're thinking of Hela - Goddess of Death!

image.png.9c6ed20adafd3b4113e6eee978328136.png

This is Chris Hemsworth.?

Yes that's what I look like, but without the bullet hole in my neck.

On 21/07/2018 at 08:50, Dr Bob said:

I am not convinced the tap thingy will help that much...

Are you convinced now, Dr Bob?  ;)

(Always a good place to start, even if only to establish a baseline)

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Are you convinced now, Dr Bob?  ;)

(Always a good place to start, even if only to establish a baseline)

No.

If my accumulator is set at 15psi, and my first pump was set at 15.1 psi and the second at 14.9psi, you would see what I was saying in that earlier post. Hence increasing the pressure setting in the second pump to 15.1psi...and both would be the same. I may be talking b****lks here, as the forum is not working well tonight and I have lost my 'view new content' ....so apologies if I have become 'crossthreaded'.

On 20/07/2018 at 14:05, doratheexplorer said:

Hello helpful forum people.

I have a little problemo with my water pump.  The pump which pushes the water from the tank to my taps.  Not my bilge pump or the one which lives under my shower.

It keeps coming on for about half a second every five minutes or so.  It's near my bed and keeps waking me up in the night.

I put my thinking cap on and decided it must be coming on because the pressure is slightly dropping but it's a bit weird that it's just a very short blip right?

Anyway, if the the pressure is dropping then that would be a leak, right?  So I set about trying to find a leak.  A lot of my pipes are hidden away behind things.  So my idea was, get my bilges completely dry and see if any water reappears.  Since we've had pretty much no rain for ages, if water appeared in my bilge then I must have a leak somewhere.  Except I've been checking for a week and my bilge is bone dry (first time ever - yay!).  So I can't have a leak. 

So why does my pump keep doing that?

It's a jabco pump if that matters.

The water pump on my boat does not have an accumulator.I think it is a Sureflow,and it does operate for a couple of seconds every now and then.Sometimes it operates every few minutes,and other times every few hours.I have checked very thoroughly for leaks but can find none.I assume that the pressure is dropping for some reason [probably muck in the pump] cleaning the pump is on the "to do" list.There is a switch on the control panel for the pump,and it is switched off at night.

On 20/07/2018 at 14:05, doratheexplorer said:

Hello helpful forum people.

I have a little problemo with my water pump.  The pump which pushes the water from the tank to my taps.  Not my bilge pump or the one which lives under my shower.

It keeps coming on for about half a second every five minutes or so.  It's near my bed and keeps waking me up in the night.

I put my thinking cap on and decided it must be coming on because the pressure is slightly dropping but it's a bit weird that it's just a very short blip right?

Anyway, if the the pressure is dropping then that would be a leak, right?  So I set about trying to find a leak.  A lot of my pipes are hidden away behind things.  So my idea was, get my bilges completely dry and see if any water reappears.  Since we've had pretty much no rain for ages, if water appeared in my bilge then I must have a leak somewhere.  Except I've been checking for a week and my bilge is bone dry (first time ever - yay!).  So I can't have a leak. 

So why does my pump keep doing that?

It's a jabco pump if that matters.

Switch it off at night, right?

:)

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Yeah, you have. Here's a pic

google.com.jpg

Thats not me, don't be silly I am.far more handsome

On 22/07/2018 at 15:47, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes that's what I look like, but without the bullet hole in my neck.

And no you don't

;)

• Haha 1