Cheap Generator

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I have no interest in this - just found it and thought that one of the increasing number of folks buying fat boats / liveaboards and fitting out may be interested :

d1654869-b852-4c05-870b-1e2743eee5eb_large2000.jpg

For Sale:

6.2kW Generator - Model MASE IS7 - 50Hz 1500rpm

Price:
£6,895 +VAT
Description:
Unused demo stock from 2014. Zero hours use - see photos showing hour meter on side

Closed frame Mase generator with Yanmar 3TNV76 1500rpm diesel engine.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Voltage and frequency regulation are pretty poor, but acceptable for most uses I suspect. Unity power factor is unusual, especially for cheaper stuff as it means a more powerful engine than normal to drive the alternator.  No mention of noise breakout at any distance.

When I was working, back in 2013, we used a "synthetic estimate" of £1000 per kVA to get a rough price for a job, but for higher quality industrial stuff.

Seems to now apply to "domestic" power electrics now (plus VAT).

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

£6,895 plus installation kit, fitting and VAT is not my idea of a "Cheap Generator".

For a 6.2kW 1500rpm diesel it’s dirt cheap. 

Compare it with £10k for a 5kW Northern Lights job. 

https://www.onboardenergydirect.co.uk/shop/northern-lights-230v-diesel-marine-generators.html

10 hours ago, cuthound said:

Unity power factor is unusual, especially for cheaper stuff as it means a more powerful engine than normal to drive the alternator. 

Are you sure about that surely a PF of 1 means they can use the smallest possible engine ?  

No you clearly do not understand the difference between VA and Watts and how power factor works....  

simply put a pf of 0.8 means only 80% of the work done by the engine can be used as real power so to get a 1000w out the engine would have to work 25% harder or be bigger not smaller...

it’s a strange thing to include in the spec sheet most would have quoted in VA not watts as it’s the load that defines the power factor (reactive load rather than resistive) 

13 hours ago, jonathanA said:

it’s a strange thing to include in the spec sheet most would have quoted in VA not watts as it’s the load that defines the power factor (reactive load rather than resistive) 

Indeed, most manufacturers prefer to market in kVA, because the numbers are bigger and thus more impressive to uninformed customers. 

23 hours ago, jonathanA said:

No you clearly do not understand the difference between VA and Watts and how power factor works....  

simply put a pf of 0.8 means only 80% of the work done by the engine can be used as real power so to get a 1000w out the engine would have to work 25% harder or be bigger not smaller...

Watts at unity power factor is the same number as VA. Maybe they do it this way so that it sounds better when compared with other manufacturers' VAs?

" Ah, but our figures are kilowatts, their's are just kVA".

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not like for like comparison tho'

6.5Kw Vs 4.5Kw

I wonder how the Mase 4.5 kw compares

Yes, I know, I wasn't directly comparing in terms of output, but I think the Norther Lights generator is superior to Mase

Edited by blackrose