Electricity problem

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, reg said:

Mine works ok through Victron Multiplus Phoenix 2500/120

Anything else I obviously can't vouch for.

Came in useful when installing my 240v circuits with multiple sockets. 

But that’s not centre tapped! I would certainly expect any test plug that works in a house to work with a correctly installed Victron.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

It’s also worth noting that they cannot detect a Neutral-Earth swap. 

Just to complete my education could you explain if this one would detect a Neutral-Earth swap it does say that it can detect a L-N-E reverse, Is that the same thing? 

https://www.tester.co.uk/socket-and-see-sok22-craftsman-socket-tester?fee=3&fep=4785&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOyvrajZ2wIV4p3tCh1ODQXCEAQYBSABEgKOp_D_BwE

Don't actually need to know just interested 

8 hours ago, reg said:

Just to complete my education could you explain if this one would detect a Neutral-Earth swap it does say that it can detect a L-N-E reverse, Is that the same thing? 

https://www.tester.co.uk/socket-and-see-sok22-craftsman-socket-tester?fee=3&fep=4785&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOyvrajZ2wIV4p3tCh1ODQXCEAQYBSABEgKOp_D_BwE

Don't actually need to know just interested 

No it can’t. I don’t believe any of them can because N & E are effectively the same thing, being bonded at some point (that exact point being determined by the particular earthing arrangement in use for that installation). 

You’ll note that the various arrangements of lights do not include “N-E Reversed”. 

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No it can’t. I don’t believe any of them can because N & E are effectively the same thing, being bonded at some point (that exact point being determined by the particular earthing arrangement in use for that installation). 

You’ll note that the various arrangements of lights do not include “N-E Reversed”. 

Agree with this.

At some point I bought something from Screwfix that claimed it tested various conditions that cheaper ones did not.

It was nonsense of course - they all actually do the same whether you  spend £2.50 on them or £25, and had I thought about it, I wouldn't have fallen for it.

It was duly returned for credit.

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

For anyone interested, here’s a schematic that I saved to my pc some time ago:

210E5D52-B40D-4881-A1BB-390C9173CAB1.gif.d028ed5a7ee2f031bc0822c1eeadec9b.gif

Obviously that’s for neons, not LEDs

I always think it beggars belief there is a need for these plug-in indicators. It really isn’t difficult to put the wires in the right holes in the back of the sockets. 

I once however found a whole house with live and neutral reversed. The idiot electrician had fitted a new consumer unit with supply cables reversed and amazingly, the boiler was the only thing in the house that didn’t still work. Presumably he didn’t see the need for one of these plug/in testers either... :P

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I always think it beggars belief there is a need for these plug-in indicators. It really isn’t difficult to put the wires in the right holes in the back of the sockets. 

I once however found a whole house with live and neutral reversed. The idiot electrician had fitted a new consumer unit with supply cables reversed and amazingly, the boiler was the only thing in the house that didn’t still work. Presumably he didn’t see the need for one of these plug/in testers either... :P

When  our supplier changed the meter at our property, the installer plugged one of these testers in to a socket in the kitchen before starting, and photographed it with all three lights lit.  He did the same after he had swapped the meter.

I was then asked to sign something that said he had installed the new meter correctly.

I couldn't be arsed to argue that the photographs were hardly a statement about the correctness of the whole installation!

I hear a lot of horror stories about these meter swappers. Some are disdainfully referred to as ‘career change cowboys’ by time-served electricians and gas plumbers. 

Possibly the same people who flooded the phantom market for “energy efficiency assessors” ten years ago. 

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I once however found a whole house with live and neutral reversed. The idiot electrician had fitted a new consumer unit with supply cables reversed and amazingly, the boiler was the only thing in the house that didn’t still work. Presumably he didn’t see the need for one of these plug/in testers either... :P

Our boat electrical installation has a warning light for L-N reversal (it's just a neon wired between neutral and earth. It has found faults in shore installations.

MP.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

OK thanks for that, did notice that "N-E Reversed" was not listed hence the query.

Got confused by their statement that it can identify  "L-N-E Reverse"  as logically I can't see how you can a 3 way reversal of anything (outside of quanta physics that is, of which I know even less). 

On 28/03/2018 at 21:00, Jeanie920 said:

I was cooking porridge in the microwave this morning when it tripped...

This'll probably be the problem: everyone knows that microwaves should only be used for heating baked beans.

I'd concentrate my efforts on anything that's got wet, been damaged or been disturbed/fiddled with recently.  It's unlikely that a system which has worked happily for some time has rewired itself wrongly.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

For anyone interested, here’s a schematic that I saved to my pc some time ago:

210E5D52-B40D-4881-A1BB-390C9173CAB1.gif.d028ed5a7ee2f031bc0822c1eeadec9b.gif

Obviously that’s for neons, not LEDs

We use to knock them up at work for people, drilling holes in the top of a 13 Amp plug top to glue the neons in. I probably still have one somewhere.