Lighting

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Up to now I've always used fluorescent tube lighting in the tub - each unit has two 8 watt tubes.  As one cabin unit has just died and the other probably will soon, it's time to replace, and I was thinking LED.  Any recommendations that would use less power for the same light? I've only got one domestic battery so power saving is fairly crucial.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Up to now I've always used fluorescent tube lighting in the tub - each unit has two 8 watt tubes.  As one cabin unit has just died and the other probably will soon, it's time to replace, and I was thinking LED.  Any recommendations that would use less power for the same light? I've only got one domestic battery so power saving is fairly crucial.

You can get 12v LED tubes which are a direct replacement for those fluorescent tubes. You just by pass the units inverter.  Check them out on Bedazzled website.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ah, but Bizz posted whilst I was still typing,so I didn't see his advice. Thats my excuse,and I'm sticking to it.

Sounds reasonable to me. But what do I know?

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

You can get 12v LED tubes which are a direct replacement for those fluorescent tubes. You just by pass the units inverter.  Check them out on Bedazzled website.

The bumpf says that one T5 tube is equivalent to 3 fluorescents. Does anyone know if that's borne out in practice?

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The bumpf says that one T5 tube is equivalent to 3 fluorescents. Does anyone know if that's borne out in practice?

I would say from experience of my led spotlights that that seems a very reasonable assertion, may even be an under estimate.

Nice little comparison chart in this article

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/the-light-bulb-showdown-leds-vs-cfls-vs-incandescent-bulbs-whats-the-best-deal-now-and-in-the-future/

ETA having read the article through it would seem that in terms of wattage then it's about 6:1 for incandescent to led and less for CFL which they show as 1.4:1. I suppose it all depends on what is meant by "equivalent to 3 fluorescents"

Edited by reg

16 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Ah, but Bizz posted whilst I was still typing,so I didn't see his advice. Thats my excuse,and I'm sticking to it.

Yes, but you need to be quicker then! It's no use typing interesting questions if you are not quick enough. We were all discussing what WotEver knows by the time you got round to replying. :(

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Yes, but you need to be quicker then! It's no use typing interesting questions if you are not quick enough. We were all discussing what WotEver knows by the time you got round to replying. :(

Quicker i will be

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

We had two lighting units in the kitchen of our boat, both of which consisted of two 12v fluorescents. I have put 1 odd Bedazzled LED tubes in each lighting unit. A single LED is much brighter than the 2 fluorescents.

Hope that helps.

Yes we replaced ours with Bedazzled ones. One LED tube is as bright as 2 fluorescent tubes, which is ideal in the lounge and kitchen but actually makes them too bright in the bedroom (where there are two fittings that used to have one tube each) and I wonder if there would be a market for a half-power version as well.

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Fitted the bedazzled tubes this morning. Certainly seem a lot brighter than the old ones - shall be trying them out properly over the weekend.  Thanks for all the advice as ever.

If  I may be so bold What's the wattage difference between the CFL and the led?

ETA 

No need found the info now thanks

Edited by reg