Odd CRT email about moorings increases

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Anyone else had this or know what it's on about?  As far as I know I've not had any letter about fees, percentage increases, or David Helliwells. Or in fact, about my mooring fee (I have an EOG mooring). It seems to have been sent to "undisclosed recipients".

And what do you reckon a Mooring Support Supervisor supervises? Bollards, presumably.

Good Afternoon

Further to previous correspondence from David Helliwell it has come to light that the letter you have previously received from us had the incorrect fee and percentage increase quoted on it.  This was due to data that became corrupted during the mail merging process and picking up the incorrect percentage and fee.  

Please look out for an amended letter from me which you should receive in the next day or so.  This will contain the correct fee and percentage increase for your mooring.

I am very sorry for this error and would like to thank you in advance for your understanding and patience whilst we put things right.

Should you have any queries, please do contact me.

Kind regards.

Jackie Self
Mooring Support Superviso

You could try emailing Jackie.. I've dealt with her via email on several occasions and she's always been responsive and quite helpful (I know that there will be several people who will doubt this to be true).

"undisclosed recipients" is a standard "To" address when using BCC addresses.

• Happy 1

22 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Not really important, I just wondered if everyone had got it as the "undisclosed recipients" thing implied it was a mass mailing. 

I had a letter the other day about pending increases in mooring license fees ..... effectively saying I am due for an inflation based increase without further notice - but if above inflation then they will write to me again.  

I imagine, by clever pricing trickery, my EOG will be hit by a local 'popularity factor' (my words) where prices can be 'invented' for any reason CRT choose - in theory based on considerable investment - which locally will be incurred by way of closing long term in-line moorings - creating a shortage and a higher demand at local marinas - who are ready to bump up prices as much as they can at the first opportunity - no doubt to pass on the above inflation fees they will be charged by CRT.

It is somewhat academic to me. Regretfully we are faced with the prospect of giving up boating soon (due to looming old-age physical weaknesses and linked to moving home as well - without an EOG).   

I will still be able to chat here - so I can follow up to tell you about the increase in my licence.  

On 28/02/2018 at 21:50, Horace42 said:

I had a letter the other day about pending increases in mooring license fees ..... effectively saying I am due for an inflation based increase without further notice - but if above inflation then they will write to me again.  

I imagine, by clever pricing trickery, my EOG will be hit by a local 'popularity factor' (my words) where prices can be 'invented' for any reason CRT choose - in theory based on considerable investment - which locally will be incurred by way of closing long term in-line moorings - creating a shortage and a higher demand at local marinas - who are ready to bump up prices as much as they can at the first opportunity - no doubt to pass on the above inflation fees they will be charged by CRT.

It is somewhat academic to me. Regretfully we are faced with the prospect of giving up boating soon (due to looming old-age physical weaknesses and linked to moving home as well - without an EOG).   

I will still be able to chat here - so I can follow up to tell you about the increase in my licence.  

I got the same letter and suspect that your EoG mooring is, like mine, based on 50% of the cheapest local CRT mooring, which for both of us is Tuttle Hill.

If so, it is not a popular mooring. In fact almost deserted except for a couple of boats the last few times I have been past. I am therefore hoping for  0% increase (pigs might fly).  

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:50, Horace42 said:

My mum doesn't help with the locks anymore but she did up until about maybe ten years ago. She still visits and loves coming out on the boat and is stopping this summer for a few days cruising. She is fitter than me though quite frail and not very strong anymore. We hope to remain full time boaters until her age but its deffo luck of the draw as we don't know whats round the corner do we. Mum is 99 next year.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

She is fitter than me though quite frail and not very strong anymore. We hope to remain full time boaters until her age but its deffo luck of the draw as we don't know whats round the corner do we. Mum is 99 next year.

Wow!  Let's hope your Mum makes the magic 100.

On 27/02/2018 at 18:22, Arthur Marshall said:

This was due to data that became corrupted during the mail merging process

OT

Many years ago whilst working in the banking sector IT a special product was created for the top 5% of the banks customers this involved creating a mail merge template to send out an invite to the top 5% to join, unfortunately the name merge didn't quite work  and all of the selected customers received a letter headed with the developers test heading which read "Dear Rich Basta*d we invite you...."

Twasn't me by the way

Edited by reg
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, reg said:

OT

Many years ago whilst working in the banking sector IT a special product was created for the top 5% of the banks customers this involved creating a mail merge template to send out an invite to the top 5% to join, unfortunately the name merge didn't quite work  and all of the selected customers received a letter headed with the developers test heading which read "Dear Rich Basta*d we invite you...."

Twasn't me by the way

That's funnier than the failed setups on mail merging.

I once saw a 10,000 piece mail run printed where every single one was addressed to

[customer_name]

[customer_address]

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's funnier than the failed setups on mail merging.

I once saw a 10,000 piece mail run printed where every single one was addressed to

[customer_name]

[customer_address]

Someone hadn't heard of the concept "test run" , obviously.

Mind you, I once perpetrated a print run of a few thousand leaflets that said, in 30 point bold, The British Psychlogical Psychology across the top. And it had been proof read by two others before printing. When I took it back to the print department with my head hanging low, John the printer, who'd followed his father into the business, just sighed and said "I know, like my old man used to say, there's never time to do the job properly, but always time to do it twice..."

1 minute ago, BruceinSanity said:

Someone hadn't heard of the concept "test run" , obviously.

Mind you, I once perpetrated a print run of a few thousand leaflets that said, in 30 point bold, The British Psychlogical Psychology across the top. And it had been proof read by two others before printing. When I took it back to the print department with my head hanging low, John the printer, who'd followed his father into the business, just sighed and said "I know, like my old man used to say, there's never time to do the job properly, but always time to do it twice..."

Mrs Biscuit used to work for a firm that once had an entire print run of brochures (many tens of thousands) where nobody noticed that "Brochure" on the front cover had the R missing.

The "fix" was to get tens of thousands of labels that said "Office Copy" on them, and get the staff to spend every spare minute applying the label in just the right spot to disguise the error.  This made all the staff very happy and contented, as you can imagine :D

On 2/28/2018 at 21:50, Horace42 said:

Just received my mooring renewal form.  No reference whatsoever to the actual inflation % used to calculate the increase - but it works out at 3.4% as stated in the previous letter a week ago - but in my case a bargain as my increase ran into a string of decimal places that was rounded down to the nearest penny - in which case I was let off  0.5p ...... but what a waste of admin time and postage when the first letter was not necessary, or when both letters could have been sent together.

And you can't pay on line.