Walking home for Christmas (London to Manchester)

Marc

Featured Posts

A good first try Gavin; perhaps as you build up strength you'll be able to walk for more than 3 days at a time. Let me know how your training goes, perhaps @Barbara Maxwell can pray for you?

Also, could it be that because you were using multiple bivvy bags the extra weight just exhausted you? A common mistake to make for towpath novices. Just get a single high end one. 

I don't think we should become friends though, as they say to never meet your heroes. 

<Day 5    Day 6

I wonder if Atherstone Locks mark the North-South divide because today people have actually started talking to me!

Queueing at Greggs for breakfast (now you know where the energy comes from) another customer began discussing baps v baguettes, a propos of nothing. 

At lunch a lady asking how far I'd walked went on to state: "Were you out in that snow last week? I tried walking to the canal and went straight down on my knees". Seems the done thing to do, luv. 

And I arrived for dinner to find this little touch:

IMG_20171219_202158.jpg

Current score: Marc 1 - Boats 1. I've taken over one boat (yesterday) and one overtook me today. Yes, selection effect, but coming towards me it's only been a couple a day. The canals really are very quiet. 

On reflection I'm indebted to Rob, not only for taking away a lot of my stuff (I packed like an amateur. Though l must find a hotel each night now, as he took my camping gear) but also for the company - which is invariably excellent. The day before I had noticed I'd started to talk out loud for a few seconds. It was weird - doesn't take long to go crazy!

I caught this picture, which sums up something I see several times an hour, most parts of the day. FML.

VirginTrain.jpg

I've also used it on a just giving page to raise money for Crisis, if anyone feels so inclined.

Quotes of the day:

"F*ck Richard Branson" - Becs. It was unclear if she was referring to the above pic, or was just stating a desire. 

"Another Marc project!" - Andy

"I do wonder what good you could do if you put your drive and refusal to fail into something meaningful" - Tony

"ps avoid the penguins" - Tony

"Buy yourself a bike" - John

"I have so much gingerbread. You're missing out" - Louise

"If you need your camping stuff, it's on eBay. 5 day auction. Merry Christmas" - Rob

RouteSoFarSmall.png

Updated Stats:

Day 1: 5,909 calories; 65,139 steps; 27 canal miles

Day 2: 5,145 calories; 53,380 steps; 20 canal miles

Day 3: 5,606 calories; 55,676 steps; 29 canal miles

Day 4: 5,178 calories; 52,165 steps; 28 canal miles

Day 5: 5,194 calories; 54,841 steps; 24 canal miles

Day 6: 5,034 calories; 51,551 steps; 25 canal miles

Edited by Marc
  • Greenie 3

Getting along nicely.

Even though it' not as planned, it must be nice to sit down have a proper meal and a shower and real bed for the night.

You will enjoy the Macclesfield and peak forest so much more. 

Your inspiring me to actually get of my bum and do a proper walk or cycle ride next year. I keep threatening it.

2 hours ago, Barbara Maxwell said:

Will you be passing my lock? We could pray together. 

Unfortunately Barbara Marc is a convert and now only prays to  the Invisible Pink Unicorn, (blessed be Her Holy Hooves.) (by his own admission)

He is clearly well beyond the help of your prayers and so is going to have to face the fact that he will have to walk the rest of the way home unaided!

20 hours ago, Marc said:

A good first try Gavin; perhaps as you build up strength you'll be able to walk for more than 3 days at a time. Let me know how your training goes, perhaps @Barbara Maxwell can pray for you?

Also, could it be that because you were using multiple bivvy bags the extra weight just exhausted you? A common mistake to make for towpath novices. Just get a single high end one. 

I don't think we should become friends though, as they say to never meet your heroes. 

Marc

I must say it’s a little disappointing to receive such a condescending response when I though I had been pretty generous in my praise. It might need to be pointed out that the only reason I spent just 3 days doing the Grand Union was that I didn’t mess around with a mere 20 to 27 mile per day pace, and averaged around 44. Plus, it seems that despite your rather rude bivvy bag comments, you seem to have bailed completely on that idea and stayed in comfortable hotels. So much for the intrepid explorer.

Did you take that photo of you with the stick by the tunnel entrance as your Grinder profile picture?

Gentlemen, this is a refreshingly different and interesting thread. Please could you remain just that - gentlemen, that is - so that the thread does not deteriorate?

Edited by Athy

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

Gentlemen, this is a refreshingly different and interesting thread. Please could you remain just that - gentlemen, that is - so that the thread does not deteriorate?

3 brand new posters in this thread coming up with rather odd stuff not related to canals (I’m not referring to the OP of course). Hmmm I’m suspicious! Do you know what Grindr is? Seemed an entirely unwarranted and offensive comment.

It’s all going to end in tears, not the fault of the OP.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

3 brand new posters in this thread coming up with rather odd stuff not related to canals (I’m not referring to the OP of course). Hmmm I’m suspicious! Do you know what Grindr is? Seemed an entirely unwarranted and offensive comment.

It’s all going to end in tears, not the fault of the OP.

I'm guessing but I bet they are people he knows or have met and told about this thread. Otherwise it's a bit random.

It' a light hearted enjoyable thread. It will hopfully stay that way.

1 hour ago, Barbara Maxwell said:

Well said. Gavin and Marc would probably hit it off in real life. BFFs. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Fair comment. I shouldn’t have got riled and said the Grinder thing. It was just a shame to have my original comment thrown back in my face, that’s all. Apologies.

Once upon a time I spent new years night on top of Mt Snowdon, honestly. I followed the railway trackup it. I took along a huge roll of oven foil which I unrolled in a long strip on the ground. I then lay crossways on it and rolled along it winding it round and round all over me, shiny side inwards, it was like being inside a Thermos flask, leaving my arms out so I could fend of any wild beasties that tried to attack me in the night. I then hopped into an ordinary cheap sleeping bag, lovely and warm and cosy. The only mistake I made was taking my boots off because in the morning they were frozen up solid. The only way I had of thawing them out was to pee into them before I could get em on. There were lovely views up there, all around, right across the Menai straits to Anglesea and everything. Even the moon looked much bigger, I suppose because I was nearer to it up there. I decended next day in squelchy boots, quite happy.

1 hour ago, thebfg said:

I'm guessing but I bet they are people he knows

;) - only question is which people!

2 hours ago, Athy said:

These people are unlikely to be gentlemen, Athy, I'm afraid to say.

2 hours ago, Gavin Higginbotham said:

Marc

I must say it’s a little disappointing to receive such a condescending response when I though I had been pretty generous in my praise. It might need to be pointed out that the only reason I spent just 3 days doing the Grand Union was that I didn’t mess around with a mere 20 to 27 mile per day pace, and averaged around 44. Plus, it seems that despite your rather rude bivvy bag comments, you seem to have bailed completely on that idea and stayed in comfortable hotels. So much for the intrepid explorer.

Did you take that photo of you with the stick by the tunnel entrance as your Grinder profile picture?

Gavin, if you learnt how to use a map better, you wouldn't need to walk for 44 miles a day. How can you even get lost on a canal? Too busy swiping right on your favourite app, that's how.

<Day 6     Day 7

In an unfortunate development that will extinguish any remaining hero worship from Gavin, I have come down with man flu and as such only managed 12 miles today. Lame. It called for an emergency medical lunch:

IMG_20171220_125751.jpg

The friendliness has continued, with an "are you the walker?" opener in the bar tonight. For the first time I saw a "Moor Here!" exclamation, whereas down south it seemed the focus was rather "Maximum Stay 2 days". And posters here e.g., @Mac of Cygnet are looking out for my safety on the northern canals :)

This morning I had to ask "have you put everything on?" as the bill was surprisingly low. She had, I guess I'm not in London anymore.  

The @thebfg predicts the Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals will be more enjoyable, and I already perceive the landscape to be getting prettier :

IMG_20171220_152344.jpg

61 miles of the 230 remain, with a Saturday finish looking likely. 

Quote of the day:

"I think 'Babs' needs to reign it the f*ck in with the lord his savour and all that b0ll0cks" - Nick

Thank you to Pete, Tony, and Louise for donations today

Updated Stats:

Day 1: 5,909 calories; 65,139 steps; 27 canal miles

Day 2: 5,145 calories; 53,380 steps; 20 canal miles

Day 3: 5,606 calories; 55,676 steps; 29 canal miles

Day 4: 5,178 calories; 52,165 steps; 28 canal miles

Day 5: 5,194 calories; 54,841 steps; 24 canal miles

Day 6: 5,034 calories; 51,551 steps; 25 canal miles

Day 7: 3,801 calories; 34,135 steps; 12 canal miles

RouteSoFarSmall.png

IMG_20171220_152344.jpg

Edited by Marc
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Great Haywood I think.  We will moderate this to ensure this remains on topic and focused.  This is a great thread and we will not allow it to lose that focus.  Before you post please ensure that any comment remains focused.  If you do not.... I need say no more than Happy Christmas!!

2 hours ago, Marc said:

;) - only question is which people!

Gavin, if you learnt how to use a map better, you wouldn't need to walk for 44 miles a day. How can you even get lost on a canal? Too busy swiping right on your favourite app, that's how.

Marc, don't be rude to Gavin. I know him, he has passed through my lock many a time and is a good fellow. 

He doesn't like to go into this too much, but he is one legged. Being too poor to afford a decent prosthesis and the NHS being the way it is, he did it with a peg leg. 

If you manage to make it to your destination (with the help of our Lord Jesus), he will donate £50 in your name to an amputee charity and I also will do something for you, I will light a candle and say a prayer in your name. 

God speed, Marc. God speed. 

Yes, very impressive NB Lola!

Of course, feel free to moderate as you see fit, but for me personally don't be concerned: it's a fun game trying to guess who is who by the persona they are adopting (e.g., I put a tenner on Barbara being my atheist scientist sister).

Edited by Marc

4 hours ago, Gavin Higginbotham said:

Fair comment. I shouldn’t have got riled and said the Grinder thing. It was just a shame to have my original comment thrown back in my face, that’s all. Apologies.

Thanks, you ARE a gentleman!

3 hours ago, Marc said:

My comment was perhaps more inclusive than you realised.