Electric set up advice

Peppers

Featured Posts

1, Flaky tray would think you get one fabricated at any nb shell builders 

2. I have both a pair of cheviots the 19" inch dual concentrics but the NAD runs into 2 Fusions, space issue, the Cheviots would need a 70 footer.

Edited by Errant Ewart

29 minutes ago, Errant Ewart said:

I have both a pair of cheviots the 19" inch dual concentrics but the NAD runs into 2 Fusions, space issue, the Cheviots would need a 70 footer.

Please don’t tell us that you use gold plated connectors and oxygen free copper to cable them up. 

33 minutes ago, Errant Ewart said:

2. I have both a pair of cheviots the 19" inch dual concentrics but the NAD runs into 2 Fusions, space issue, the Cheviots would need a 70 footer.

My NADs were connected to a 19" woofer. But my mrs told me to stop exaggerating. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Did they ever do Marine grade cabling?  That's the same cable with a boat on the packet and an extra digit on the pricetag.

They’d also have taken out several full page ads in waterways mags full of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo explaining how they’ll improve the efficiency of your batteries tenfold. 

Edited by WotEver
Typo

8 minutes ago, Errant Ewart said:

Oxygen free won't help.

Any copper cable is 99.9% oxygen free anyway. That 0.09% difference is nowt but marketing hype. No-one ever heard any difference because there’s no difference to hear. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Any copper cable is 99.9% oxygen free anyway. That 0.09% difference is nowt but marketing hype. No-one ever heard any difference because there’s no difference to hear. 

Nonsense.  You hear "cha-ching!" from the bloke in the shop.

Back too many years ago I had a mate who couldn't spend enough on hi-fi gear, who got all these type of goodies.

Then he demonstrated how cool these newfangled MP3s were ...

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I always sheild my NADS in PVC containing Diisononyl phthalate. 

I would use Diisodecyl phthalate as it has one more carbon atom which is a benefit in the great scheme of  things as that is one molecule of Co2 less in the atmosphere.

51 minutes ago, Errant Ewart said:

1, Flaky tray would think you get one fabricated at any nb shell builders 

Funny that. I have a pair of Cheviots too!

ANd a pair of Chatsworths with 12" Monitor Golds. And a pair of Devons. 

And several pairs of them newer and less well regarded pentagonal ones. 

I LIKE Tannoys!

Just now, Dr Bob said:

I would use Diisodecyl phthalate as it has one more carbon atom which is a benefit in the great scheme of  things as that is one molecule of Co2 less in the atmosphere.

Well obviously, that is what i meant. Who would use Diisodecyl. Its so 1980's

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nonsense.  You hear "cha-ching!" from the bloke in the shop.

Back too many years ago I had a mate who couldn't spend enough on hi-fi gear, who got all these type of goodies.

Then he demonstrated how cool these newfangled MP3s were ...

He should have bought a Wireless. :closedeyes:

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I assume you don't need a very large sheath if it's only one molecule ...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Errant Ewart said:

Then he would have heard that valve amps have a nice warm sound no doubt due to their heaters :giggles:

Actually I have a very nice valve mic amp and it has absolutely the sweetest sound of any mic amp I’ve used. 

My old chemistry teacher once went into Dixons to buy a new stereo, and the PFY was waxing lyrical about all the features they could offer her.

PFY: ... and this one has a Graphic Equaliser!

Her: So what does that do then?

PFY: Erm ... it equalises your graphics.

Her: Goodbye!

Valve amps are fine, but their characteristics are very similar to MOSFETS and in a blind test you really could not tell the difference, any active device adds noise it depends on what you can live with , now is your amp a class A or AB or oh well . Now a lot are digital  different ball game. The valve amp scenario is probably best expressed in the download v CD v vinyl argument

8 hours ago, Errant Ewart said:

Valve amps are fine, but their characteristics are very similar to MOSFETS and in a blind test you really could not tell the difference, any active device adds noise it depends on what you can live with , now is your amp a class A or AB or oh well . Now a lot are digital  different ball game. The valve amp scenario is probably best expressed in the download v CD v vinyl argument

The mic amp in question is class A. All of the power amps I currently use are class AB as they are quite good enough and I have no desire to run room heaters to power speakers ;)

Valve characteristics are nothing like those of MOSFETS although I accept that these days you can design a pre-amp to sound like just about anything.  

Edited by WotEver