Tesco's Reading

Tim

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Some of them have moved onto the Kennet above Fobney Lock.

Keith

That makes for an interesting situation. Most boaters would still regard that as a no-go area for mooring so they will be in nobodies way and might possibly improve security in that area. If the rules are to be applied fairly then CaRT will have to move them on but this will only displace them to other bits of the K&A where they will be more in the way and possibly more visible to local residents.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

When the Tesco's first opened it was a Free 2 hour Mooring for Shopping ,then the Rodneys moved in.

Thats curious. What was the landing stage there for before the Tesco was built? I remember the Tesco site when it was a coal yard, but can’t remember if there was a landing stage there. The existing stage looks far older to me than the Tesco building. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thats curious. What was the landing stage there for before the Tesco was built? I remember the Tesco site when it was a coal yard, but can’t remember if there was a landing stage there. The existing stage looks far older to me than the Tesco building. 

If we are talking Thames rather than K&A then there is no landing stage, nothing at all, just a length of bank with deep water right to the edge and a lot of fairly well spaced and convenient trees to tie a rope to, though a couple of trees have hazardous protruding branches.

................Dave

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not sure but think it may have been used by EA craft as it was close to Kings meadow where their Headquarters is/was.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

That makes for an interesting situation. Most boaters would still regard that as a no-go area for mooring so they will be in nobodies way and might possibly improve security in that area. If the rules are to be applied fairly then CaRT will have to move them on but this will only displace them to other bits of the K&A where they will be more in the way and possibly more visible to local residents.

..............Dave

Not these days, there are usually one or two boats there. I expect that they will to and fro between there and the Cunning Man pub at least at first.

Keith

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If my memory serves me correctly the landing stage was installed around the time that Tesco opened along with the iron fencing with arched openings. It just hasn't weathered well.

Keith

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Has the Beer in there improved recently then?!

Much better selection ( five ale pumps )and kept well, it used to be awful and was always running out. 

Has the Beer in there improved recently then?!

I don't know, have not been in for a few years now because the beer was either nothing special or sold out the last couple of times that I did, and they won't let me in with the dog.

................Dave

7 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

I hear that all the boats that were permanently moored outside Tesco Reading have been moved on, some have been heavily fined in the process.

I've messaged TVM to ask if boaters are expected to pay the mooring fee if only stopping for a couple of hours to shop, I'll post as soon as I get an answer.

Keith

I wonder if any have moved down to Kingston.  I have just seen this on Facebook Not a petty sight and someones home https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/warwicksalzer

On 14/08/2017 at 07:16, Tim said:

One of the signs that appeared here this weekend, should be interesting!

coal woodland.jpg

I must be missing something here, the sign indicates Reading Borough Council are involved, not clear why, or where the District Enforcement come in to the legalities.

Can anyone can put up such a notice anywhere, with no indication why or how they are entitled to charge £100, while encouraging you to use the mooring if you want to pay £100. That's what it looks like. What is the point of having moorings left empty?

I suppose I could moor in the canal and jump on and off?

Where is the £9.50 coming from?

Who is TVM?

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Received this reply this morning,

''Hello Keith,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The charge of £9.50 is applicable at all times.

Kind regards,

DE Apeals''

Thanks for checking Keith.

A first class example of the few finally  ucking it up for the many.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I must be missing something here, the sign indicates Reading Borough Council are involved, not clear why, or where the District Enforcement come in to the legalities.

Can anyone can put up such a notice anywhere, with no indication why or how they are entitled to charge £100, while encouraging you to use the mooring if you want to pay £100. That's what it looks like. What is the point of having moorings left empty?

Presumably Reading Council are the riparian owners, and District Enforcement are their contractors.  I don't see that can do anything about you "remaining stationary" at that point though, or if they can why can they?

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Presumably Reading Council are the riparian owners, and District Enforcement are their contractors.  I don't see that can do anything about you "remaining stationary" at that point though, or if they can why can they?

We can assume that is what they want us to assume, but more evidence is needed, if RBC are the owners, why do they want to discourage shoppers, just make it a 12 hour or a two day mooring surely?

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, john6767 said:

There was/is a boat moored at Christchurch Meadow with a sign on it saying along the lines of if you step on board without consent you are entering into a contract whereby you agree to pay the owner £100.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

We can assume that is what they want us to assume, but more evidence is needed, if RBC are the owners, why do they want to discourage shoppers, just make it a 12 hour or a two day mooring surely?

Is it Groundhog day again today? Have you actually read the thread?

It is to create some real teeth to prevent CMers occupying the site for years at a time, as has been the case for the last decade. 

Just now, LadyG said:

Reading Council used to have a Bod checking up on the Overstayers ,it cost them money and the Bod could not make the Serial CM's shift.

Much easier to hand it over to the Car Clampers. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

but that would require regular checking of boats (every 12 hours or 2 days from your examples).

by making it chargeable to moor or remain stationary there they can check it as and when they choose, any boat they see there not moving is in theory liable to a charge of £100

Just now, Jess-- said:

but that would require regular checking of boats (every 12 hours or 2 days from your examples).

by making it chargeable to moor or remain stationary there they can check it as and when they choose, any boat they see there not moving is in theory liable to a charge of £100

Or more pertinently, any boat caught on site not having pre-paid the £9.50 already, gets to pay the £100 immediately.

Is it Groundhog day again today? Have you actually read the thread?

It is to create some real teeth to prevent CMers occupying the site for years at a time, as has been the case for the last decade. 

Yes I appreciate that part, but it can't be a good thing to effectively close the mooring to genuine canal cruisers, forever.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes I appreciate that part, but it can't be a good thing to effectively close the mooring to genuine canal cruisers, forever.

Err you haven't read the thread at all have you? Its a RIVER!

More specifically its the River Thames, where mooring in a lot of places cost a tenner anyway. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman