Tesco's Reading

Tim

Featured Posts

So, CRT will provide my personal details to District Enforcement even though CRT have not expressed such option when I provided my details to them; in my view a data protection act breach.

Unless, of course, you know better?

( I don't always read all of the small print)

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

As it is a river presumably the adjacent land owners owns the river bed also through riparian rights. 

Fair enough.  They also mention remaining stationary.  So if I chose to hover mid channel, but just to their side of the river, I could expect a letter through the post?

George

40 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

So, CRT will provide my personal details to District Enforcement even though CRT have not expressed such option when I provided my details to them; in my view a data protection act breach.

Unless, of course, you know better?

( I don't always read all of the small print)

With C&RT it is always advisable to read the small print (not that you can do much about it) as you may be surprised at what is included in your licence T&Cs,

In addition to you agreeing that they can provide your personal details to anyone they wish (which is considered a breach of the Data Protection Act) you are accepting a number of other law breaking clauses - one of which is quite interesting as you have now agreed to C&RT being able to board your boat with no notice (should they wish to) whilst the law states that they must give 28 days notice, and you have that 28 days to reply with a refusal to grant permission ( British Waterways Act 1995 Section 5)

Are these the purpose built moorings immediately behind, and with pathway access to, Tescos, or are they upstream of Tescos on Kings Meadow, which incorporates Coal woodlands?

Either way, they are surely nothing to do with C&RT, as they are on the Thames where most of the bank is owned either privately or by local Authorities.

Presumably Reading Council do not want people mooring at all, not even for 5mins.  Must be a disturbance to local home owners or the site was previously what exactly?

From may next year with the advent of GDPR being enshrined into UK data protection law, CRT will need to be explicit about who they want to share my data with and obtain my specific permission.  Tying licensing to data protection requirement (as in a requirement to share with whom they like) will be unlawful, although I suspect it already is as data should only be collected for specified, not general, purposes.  I feel an email coming on.

3 hours ago, MHS said:

Maybe the £100 is fully refundable if you spend more than £10 at Tesco! "Every little helps"

Boo, crossed with Rusty 69

Its not a "Tesco " mooring its council and its a reaction to all the boats the continuously moored there like some other places on the Thames

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

Feels a bit extreme to me.  A two hour limit for shopping would make more sense but I suspect enforcement then becomes a bind.

It originally was a 2 Hour limit around 20 Years ago,then the "New Age" Boats moved in,Groceries,Free Parking(now Controlled)and a Filling Station for Generator Petrol.also Handy for Controlled Substance Trading.

So sad to see a once useful Facility ruined.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Probably once the CMers are cleared out, a shopping stop may be allowed. At the moment it isn't possible to stop there due to wall to wall CMers. So nothing is lost for cruising boats at the moment

Are there other choices of visitors moorings in Reading.?

We had it down as a restocking stop for next summer!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Are there other choices of visitors moorings in Reading.?

We had it down as a restocking stop for next summer!

If you stop and one person remains on the boat then you should be fine, if the parking police do turn up then either explain to them, or do a little loop and return ten mins later.

Sad thing is that this stuff is happening again and again. The "boaters" concerned will likely just ignore it and the "police" will soon realise that its more trouble than its worth to collect the fine (no address and no money). In other cases the offenders just move on to the next "soft target", either on or off the water, but the new regulations and anti-boater feeling will stay for much longer.

............Dave

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Either.

There are VMs on the Thames just above Reading bridge, and also just below the junction with the Kennet which may or may not be part of the clearout (Tesco moorings are just up stream of rust Jn. But the Thames doesn really go through reading, best shopping access is from the Reading gaol loop on KandA. There are 24 hr moorings there which were clear when we passed through.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1