A Love-Hate Bridge

Heartland

Featured Posts

The bridge that now spans the tail of lock 57 on the Stratford upon Avon Canal replaced a David Hutchings designed bridge of some 40 years, which was removed in 2008. The modern bridge has the advantage of a viewing platform in the centre, but since construction has had both praise and dissent. For such a high profile place as Bancroft Basin where heritage and modernity form an uneasy mix, this bridge definitely has been a subject of comment. 

I recall the older narrower bridge and yes at times it was a busy crossing point, which would explain the reason for the change and the innovation is to its credit, yet there are those that still do not like it because of all the historic features round about including the tramroad bridge.

The old bridge was donated to the Upper Avon Navigation Trust, it is said, but where is it now? Also I do not recall a bridge number being on the new structure- should it have one as it spans the canal?

733002.jpg

13 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The bridge that now spans the tail of lock 57 on the Stratford upon Avon Canal replaced a David Hutchings designed bridge of some 40 years, which was removed in 2008. The modern bridge has the advantage of a viewing platform in the centre, but since construction has had both praise and dissent. For such a high profile place as Bancroft Basin where heritage and modernity form an uneasy mix, this bridge definitely has been a subject of comment. 

I recall the older narrower bridge and yes at times it was a busy crossing point, which would explain the reason for the change and the innovation is to its credit, yet there are those that still do not like it because of all the historic features round about including the tramroad bridge.

The old bridge was donated to the Upper Avon Navigation Trust, it is said, but where is it now? Also I do not recall a bridge number being on the new structure- should it have one as it spans the canal?

733002.jpg

I seem to recall that the old bridge was also very low!

Tim

Obviously you couldn't pass a towline under the new one, but why would you want to?

Anyway I think that since the area is mostly about Shakespeare and tourists, the bridge is perfectly satisfactory. One can't expect everything to always revolve around boats and canal heritage. And of course the previous bridge was fairly modern too.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Obviously you couldn't pass a towline under the new one, but why would you want to?

Anyway I think that since the area is mostly about Shakespeare and tourists, the bridge is perfectly satisfactory. One can't expect everything to always revolve around boats and canal heritage. And of course the previous bridge was fairly modern too.

The voice of sanity and tolerance. Have a greenie!

I actually think it's rather attractive.

I quite like the new bridge, and given the location it is more suitable than the old one, and adds a nice feature for the many tourists.

I can appreciate the "heritage" value of the old one from the time of the restoration, and I thought that the old bridge was at Luddington lock or am I just imagining that?  Isn't this the old bridge in the middle of the image from Google maps?

Untitled.jpg

40 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I quite like the new bridge, and given the location it is more suitable than the old one, and adds a nice feature for the many tourists.

I can appreciate the "heritage" value of the old one from the time of the restoration, and I thought that the old bridge was at Luddington lock or am I just imagining that?  Isn't this the old bridge in the middle of the image from Google maps?

Untitled.jpg

It would appear so...

Taken from the IWA Bulletin dated 29th April 2016
https://www.waterways.org.uk/news_campaigns/bulletins/iwa_bulletin_20160429

"Luddington lock is now the site of the old footbridge over Bancroft Basin Lock which was built by prisoners in 1963 at their workshops in Wormwood Scrubs, London, placed in position by the Royal Engineers, Long Marston in 1964 and installed by prisoners from Winson Green in Birmingham.  Volunteers took the opportunity to bring this iconic structure back to its former glory."

The bridge is on the site of the original round Upper Luddington lock.

5 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I don't know how the 'old' one sufficed for the tourists, but from the photograph the new one it is clearly a good vantage point.

There appears also to be enough room to duck under with a tow line - why would anyone want to? Having done much single handed boating, hauling my vessel out beyond gates so as to close them behind me, such abilities have been found to be useful.

41 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I don't know how the 'old' one sufficed for the tourists, but from the photograph the new one it is clearly a good vantage point.

There appears also to be enough room to duck under with a tow line - why would anyone want to? Having done much single handed boating, hauling my vessel out beyond gates so as to close them behind me, such abilities have been found to be useful.

Bearing in mind it's a river below, with potentially quite a fast flow rate, I'm not sure I'd want to pull the boat out and leave it drifting whilst I closed the gates. Better to drive out and tie up. And actually, those gates are always left open. I know it's not a river above, but even if you close the gates they just swing open again in a few moments.

this is the old bridge is place at the basin lock, from canal plan

8tha_7.jpg

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Bearing in mind it's a river below, with potentially quite a fast flow rate, I'm not sure I'd want to pull the boat out and leave it drifting whilst I closed the gates. Better to drive out and tie up. And actually, those gates are always left open. I know it's not a river above, but even if you close the gates they just swing open again in a few moments.

Yep, no one closes the exit gates on that lock.  Even though it is a CRT lock it is treated the same as an ANT one, ie leave exit gates open.

• 3 years later...

It's several decades since I locked through between the basin and the Avon. This was shortly after the basin had had a spruce-up. Not only were there no mooring rings, necessitating driving spikes into the gravel, but the circular ridges of brick that had originally  provided a positive grip for your feet when operating the lock gates, while visible, had been embedded in cement, presenting a completely smooth surface with little grip. No doubt done to avoid tripping the tourists, but hard work for boaters.