Advice needed (not a narrow boat)

Calranthe

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, rusty69 said:

As i said, until you are happy you can maintain what you have, you will likely trash an expensive set of semi traction batteries (Trojan t105 seem popular on here) as quickly as cheap leisure type. 

You will need ro determine when to start charging and when to stop to get max life out of a set of batteries (loads of threads already on that) 

Pythagoras

That's the bit I don't quite get....have been reading up all the threads but need to keep ploughing through - I thought the idea of the semi-traction was that so long as you recharge at the right rate, all is ok for anytime recharge.....I hate electricity :wacko:

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You need somewhere to house those extra batteries. I would get the boat first and live with whats there for a few months at least before changing anything

As per my comment to Rusty....lot to learn but current batteries are not good so was thinking to get the right ones first out. Want to put solar panels in as well but happy with that bit until it reaches the main circuits.

3 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

That's the bit I don't quite get....have been reading up all the threads but need to keep ploughing through - I thought the idea of the semi-traction was that so long as you recharge at the right rate, all is ok for anytime recharge

NO - NO - NO - Recharge DAILY with 120%+ of what you have taken out.

(MtB is now a 'charge daily' convert).

5 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I thought the idea of the semi-traction was that so long as you recharge at the right rate, all is ok for anytime recharge...

MtB found that to not be the case. All batteries, it seems, like to be recharged daily as a minimum. 

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

NO - NO - NO - Recharge DAILY with 120%+ of what you have taken out.

(MtB is now a 'charge daily' convert).

Daily is good for me as it will be live-aboard.....just need to work out how long I can use what equipment for.....hence I didn't understand the comment - I read it as don't recharge too often or until set level of discharge etc.

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

MtB found that to not be the case. All batteries, it seems, like to be recharged daily as a minimum. 

H there - yep ...as above

i thought I was being told not to stick recharge on too often.

5 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

That's the bit I don't quite get....have been reading up all the threads but need to keep ploughing through - I thought the idea of the semi-traction was that so long as you recharge at the right rate, all is ok for anytime recharge.....I hate electricity

As long as you are happy you can achieve and maintain this, then spend away. 

Otherwise spend some time learning to drive your current set, or a cheapy leisure set.t.

What means will you have to determine when they will need charging and when you can stop charging?

unless you have constant shore power you will need to consider this (particularly in the Winter months when solar is lacking) 

1 minute ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I didn't understand the comment - I read it as don't recharge too often or until set level of discharge etc.

No. It meant at the one end you have "You must start charging now, stop discharging" and at the other end is "You're not fully charged yet, keep going" or "Okay, you're fully charged, you can stop using fuel". 

Just now, rusty69 said:

As long as you are happy you can achieve and maintain this, then spend away. 

Otherwise spend some time learning to drive your current set, or a cheapy leisure set.t.

What means will you have to determine when they will need charging and when you can stop charging?

unless you have constant shore power you will need to consider this (particularly in the Winter months when solar is lacking) 

Okay Doke.....will take your advice on getting a cheaper set first. I was going to just stick them on recharge daily (running motor while moored,or using shore power whenever available.....when to charge in Winter!?...I am bound to get wrong ;)

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

No. It meant at the one end you have "You must start charging now, stop discharging" and at the other end is "You're not fully charged yet, keep going" or "Okay, you're fully charged, you can stop using fuel". 

....and then I run out of fuel just as I remember to start charging.....I'm going to love this all .....except for trying to calculate watts ohms volts and amps......I'll just stick a big metal rod up in a lightening storm :D

1 minute ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Okay Doke.....will take your advice on getting a cheaper set first. I was going to just stick them on recharge daily (running motor while moored,or using shore power whenever available.....when to charge in Winter!?...I am bound to get wrong ;)

You may get away with what you already have. 

You will need to know how long to run the engine for. How are you goingvto determine when to turn it off. 

Until  you are happy you know that, theres no point spending loads of money on batteries 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You may get away with what you already have. 

You will need to know how long to run the engine for. How are you goingvto determine when to turn it off. 

Until  you are happy you know that, theres no point spending loads of money on batteries 

Cheers Rusty....any money I can save for now the better - will ask the surveyor tomorrow :cheers:

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

Cheers Rusty....any money I can save for now the better - will ask the surveyor tomorrow :cheers:

And to Wots! :)

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I thought you could get away with discharging to 50% if the batteries in question were true deep cycle batteries? 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I thought you could get away with discharging to 50% if the batteries in question were true deep cycle batteries? 

His experience suggests not. 

Well Sunday visit did not go to plan.

Fired up the engine and it died, Tried everything in my limited knowledge, in the end called out the Broker who also tried to start it (including using easy start spray) no go, funnily this relieved me because it was not something I did or a mistake I made, seems to be a fuel pump issue an engineer is going to come out this week to fix it, so plan is still a go.

Dropped off some supplies to the boat

Rubber Mallet, Tool Set, 12L Water, food items, cutlery, spare rope, sleeping bags and other things, put another 10L Diesel into the tank (it looks like it is a 50L tank). 

1 minute ago, Calranthe said:

Well Sunday visit did not go to plan.

Fired up the engine and it died, Tried everything in my limited knowledge, in the end called out the Broker who also tried to start it (including using easy start spray) no go, funnily this relieved me because it was not something I did or a mistake I made, seems to be a fuel pump issue an engineer is going to come out this week to fix it, so plan is still a go.

Dropped off some supplies to the boat

Rubber Mallet, Tool Set, 12L Water, food items, cutlery, spare rope, sleeping bags and other things, put another 10L Diesel into the tank (it looks like it is a 50L tank). 

If it a petrol outboard and has been sitting with fuel in it for sometime, the fuel can go off. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

As has been so often said lead acid batteries of ANY type WILL sulphate if left for any length of time at less than fully charged.

I suspect that the belief that  deep cycle batteries can be left partially  discharged because until recently they tended to be rated a the 5 hour rate so a the 20 hour rate have a greater capacity than a "normal" battery rated over 20 hours so they took longer to show a significant loss of capacity. 

Deep cycle batteries will have much more robust plate support, separation, and ability to retain the material on the plates so they have a much greater cyclic life allowing greater abuse before they fail.

42 minutes ago, Calranthe said:

No its a Diesel inboard, it sounds like either a blockage or failed part in the pump.

Remember I told you I though it had an electric fuel pump fitted (I may be wrong but what else it is  do not know) so has anyone checked it has a 12V supply when the ignition is turned on. There just might be a separate switch for security.

Hi Tony, I do not think it is that simply because it worked fine for 30 minutes on the last visit and no switches except the primary and leisure battery turn off switches were switched before we left and switched back on when we got back today.

When we started her up today she started quickly but sounded like she was not getting enough fuel the she just cut out and nothing.

Visit went well, engine still not working but engineer is coming tonight to deal with it hopefully, gas cooker works fine, bottle is probably full, found the water tanks, it has 2 small ones either side of the fuel tank, fuel tank is now full, it has 40-50L we also have a 10L can with 5L left in, measured the transom, put a lot of stuff for the journey on the boat, now have the blue stuff as well as the rinse stuff, a whistling kettle, hammers, tools, spikes, rope, 6 2 litre bottles of water + 2 5L bottles of water.

Used some adult diapers to soak up the oil/water in the bilge, good news is the hull from the inside looks in really good condition, Battery bank look really good and the hull around them has been dry for a very long time.

Cool bag + ice blocks arrived, Tesco shop for food ordered for Thursday night.

Collins waterways books 4 and 3 which cover the the areas we will explore bought.

Canal and river rescue Gold plan in place.

Insurance and River license documentation

Berth ready for us in Aston (v1)

All electrical items charging via home solar panel will at 100% before we go (tablet, mifi 4g, phone, 2 solar lanterns, 2 torches, 3 battery packs, Alexa Echo Dot (amazon music unlimited, we is going to have some tunes) 24w solar panel 3 battery packs, Solar Radio/gyro/light USB hand warming device, tablet has premium prime subscription so many many movies and series available, also crunchy roll for anime :)  Yes I am over doing it for a 3 day cruise but this allows me to test all of the stuff and see what works best and stuff that can go back home.

Sea Magnet arrived and is now on the boat, 60kg version.

Oil is arriving tomorrow.