Double Success - on top of the world at the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct

Ray T

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

What !!! I'd start looking for a steel helmet if I'd said that. Although I have to say I wouldn't have wanted to be a shareholder in many of his projects.

Oh come on, that Great Eastern can't fail.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Oh come on, that Great Eastern can't fail.

I don't think I'll be investing in that one. Mind you that atmospheric railway down in Devon looks like a winner.

10 hours ago, chubby said:

Ok

im not obliged to agree with anyone elses point of view . I don t much care for the endless banging on about " our achievements " . Self praise is no praise . 

Its commendable to recognise a staff members efforts . However if someone can convince me that a " mass tweeting between 6 & 7 pm to show your support for this or that " isn t corporate nonsense then i d be somewhat surprised. What a load of total crap. Only in the mind of someone who spends far too long sat at a desk in an office environment could think it good idea . It isn t , its tosh .

As for the expression " damned if they do , damned if they dont " - this is also rubbish . As i say above im not obliged to buy into all this media orientated self congratulation - i dont have to agree . Consequently some folk will applaud , some will not . Its not a matter damned if they do , damned if they don t . Im not a CRT basher . They do alot of good work and i imagine they face many challenges in many different ways - i just simply tire of thier media obsession and i do genuinely believe that many are just riding a corporate gravy train . In future i ll just ignore them , just like i had to unsubscribe from all the emails they send me . 

Whilst I am very pro CART you are so right about about self praise. I was unfortunate enough to watch about eight seconds of a programme about the " National teaching awards " what a load of bloomin tosh. Why dont we have national bog cleaning and national plumbing awards etc etc.........:rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Bee said:

I don't think I'll be investing in that one. Mind you that atmospheric railway down in Devon looks like a winner.

Clifton Suspension Bridge looks a good bet. Where does it go exactly? Ah! Nowhere.

i stand by my comments that i cannot abide the self congratulatory crap . As i said before - Self praise is no praise . 

Raising the trusts profile is well and good and I appreciate it needs to be done , but its all the corporate bollocks that they pour out . I actually find it quite demeaning & patronising. 

For example on another thread it stated that Manchesters city centre has received an upgrade Now if that isn t purest drivel then can  someone point me in the direction  of what is .

The canal has received some basic maintenance. Nothing more . The trust is obliged to carry it out . Amongst other duties , maintaining the current network is amongst them . But no , being corporate whores they cant simply say " Maintenence work " . 

If i change the oil in my engine im upgrading sweet FA - im simply carrying out maintenence am i not . If treat a patch if rust im not upgrading , i m maintaining . 

As far as im its all just jobs for the boys . All slapping each other on the back , nonceing around in the office dreaming up ways to justify thier salary . I expect that they aren t actually achieving as a consequence of thier " raised profile " . Its the boots on the ground - the grafters , many with years of committed service who admire not the suits . Who do you reckon earns more though ? 

Despite the above im not someone who bashes CRT all the time but i do reserve the to make judgements regarding thier conduct . They take money off me , which im happy to pay but i do feel that this gives me the right to scrutinize and criticise aswell as praise . 

They have a difficult task , they have many challenges & i hope they are up to challenge. I doubt it though personally . Too many chiefs , not enough Injuns . 

cheers

Edited by chubby
  • Greenie 1

I feel it is unfair to knock the engineering heroes of yesteryear for failing to meet modern standards of H & S. If they had tried to maintain modern standards they would have gone broke (even faster) and achieved nothing.

If you want to have a go at past heroes try General Haig. 

18 hours ago, chubby said:

i stand by my comments that i cannot abide the self congratulatory crap . As i said before - Self praise is no praise . 

Raising the trusts profile is well and good and I appreciate it needs to be done , but its all the corporate bollocks that they pour out . I actually find it quite demeaning & patronising. 

For example on another thread it stated that Manchesters city centre has received an upgrade Now if that isn t purest drivel then can  someone point me in the direction  of what is .

The canal has received some basic maintenance. Nothing more . The trust is obliged to carry it out . Amongst other duties , maintaining the current network is amongst them . But no , being corporate whores they cant simply say " Maintenence work " . 

If i change the oil in my engine im upgrading sweet FA - im simply carrying out maintenence am i not . If treat a patch if rust im not upgrading , i m maintaining . 

As far as im its all just jobs for the boys . All slapping each other on the back , nonceing around in the office dreaming up ways to justify thier salary . I expect that they aren t actually achieving as a consequence of thier " raised profile " . Its the boots on the ground - the grafters , many with years of committed service who admire not the suits . Who do you reckon earns more though ? 

Despite the above im not someone who bashes CRT all the time but i do reserve the to make judgements regarding thier conduct . They take money off me , which im happy to pay but i do feel that this gives me the right to scrutinize and criticise aswell as praise . 

They have a difficult task , they have many challenges & i hope they are up to challenge. I doubt it though personally . Too many chiefs , not enough Injuns . 

cheers

The Manchester press release may have been stretching it a little to label the work as an "upgrade", however it did receive local TV news coverage in which CRT were able to demonstrate the challenges they face, especially with junk thrown into the canal there. I wonder if they had simply referred to the work as "maintenance" it would have attracted the same media interest.

Press releases are largely used by local papers as easy filler - anyone who runs their own business knows you have to get as much publicity as possible and you don't do that by keeping quiet about anything you've done (and exaggerating its importance/quality a bit).  It's largely a way of reaching those who aren't involved or particularly interested in the subject and trying to kick up a bit of interest - it's not for the likes of those fully engaged. So I agree with the OP in one respect - he and most of us, are usually wasting our time reading them. But, of course, sometimes, if rarely, something essential gets into them, so i still read them and are glad they are posted.