Extending the stern on a GRP Narrowboat?

Chas78

Featured Posts

Major problem is that new fiberglass bonds with a chemical bond and any patching or joining to old fiberglass can only be a mechanical bond which is not as strong.

I completely understand what you say but actually didn't think of it like thathuh.png i think at the end of the day if i can fit a set of seats to the rear ie as a over hang as Alan first suggested i would be happy with that if it didn't look a monstrosity i made it myself job blush.png

If this is a semi-trad, presumably the stern deck feels a lot bigger - and has seating - with the hatch and back doors open? I can see why you might want to fit new, more child-friendly rails, but I wonder if your planned 'test drive' might reveal that the outside space at the stern is already a pretty good size, in proportion to the boat, for sociable cruising.

We shall see and you may be right there but as far as seating when the hatch doors are open there is none as you can see in the attached picture there is just a flight of steps sad.png

Hi All,

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice so far please keep them coming as in every idea spurns another happy.pngcaptain.gif

post-26599-0-55595400-1484561387_thumb.jpg

i think at the end of the day if i can fit a set of seats to the rear .....................

You may well be aware but on a tiller-steered boat you DO NOT have anyone sitting or standing in the arc of the tiller.

If the rudder should hit a 'log' or a shopping-trolley then the tiller becomes a dangerous 'catapult' and will 'flick' anyone within its arc overboard.

Rear seats are fine for using when you are moored up, but PLEASE do not think you can have your kids, mates, family on the stern with you when under power.

If you know all of this - then apologies - I am teaching you to 'suck-eggs', but I would rather point it out (particularly if your experience is on 'wheel-steered' boats) than just assume you know it.,

Edit to replace fictitious words.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

You may well be aware but on a tiller-steered boat you DO NOT have anyone sitting or standing in the arc of the tiller.

If the rudder should hit a 'log' or a shopping-trolley then the tiller becomes a dangerous 'catapult' and will 'flick' anyone within its arc overboard.

Rear seats are fine for using when you are moored up, but PLEASE do not think you can have your kids, mates, family on the stern with you when under power.

If you know all of this - then apologies - I am teaching you to 'suck-eggs', but I would rather point it out (particularly if your experience is on 'wheel-steered' boats) than just assume you know it.,

Edit to replace fictitious words.

Alan i appreciate what your saying and your not telling me how to suck eggs although i was already aware of what you saidrolleyes.gif that is why if i could retro fit a set of seats to the rear of tiller it would overcome the problem wink.png

Chas78- Not something I would want to do personally but each to their own :-)

Have a look at a Project 31 - this had an 'extension 'added to an existing mould of a well known maker I cant remember the name of https://goo.gl/images/ihycfl

Also Dolphin Boats- this was actually a 'pod' containing the water heater,fuel tank and outboard but was basically just bolted on the back of a hull

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/dolphin-16-boat-for-sale-6439.html

• Greenie 1

Chas78- Not something I would want to do personally but each to their own :-)

Have a look at a Project 31 - this had an 'extension 'added to an existing mould of a well known maker I cant remember the name of https://goo.gl/images/ihycfl

Also Dolphin Boats- this was actually a 'pod' containing the water heater,fuel tank and outboard but was basically just bolted on the back of a hull

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/dolphin-16-boat-for-sale-6439.html

The Project Moulding Was an altered 'Senior' Moulding

Later on Project boats became 'Princess'

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

I fail to see how this GRP narrowboat is any better then what you already have.

ETA: I know you want a narrowboat but personally I think you would be better off finding one that doesn't need loads of structural modifications to make it what you want.

Edited by Naughty Cal

I fail to see how this GRP narrowboat is any better then what you already have.

ETA: I know you want a narrowboat but personally I think you would be better off finding one that doesn't need loads of structural modifications to make it what you want.

Because mine in a GRP Cruiser that is GRP Narrowboat and it's an inboard diesel powered and it has no rusting hull worries and it's right next to my boat and it's beautiful cloud9.gif

Because mine in a GRP Cruiser that is GRP Narrowboat and it's an inboard diesel powered and it has no rusting hull worries and it's right next to my boat and it's beautiful cloud9.gif

If its the 'one you want' then nothing else matters - It is oft said that a boat 'finds you' not the other way around.

Its your money, it will be your boat and you are at liberty to do with it whatever you want to do.

Go for it !

No rust. Just osmosis instead cheers.gif

clapping.gif

Norty!!

Phil

rolleyes.gif

If its the 'one you want' then nothing else matters - It is oft said that a boat 'finds you' not the other way around.

Its your money, it will be your boat and you are at liberty to do with it whatever you want to do.

Go for it !

Thanks Alan wink.png

Thank you again all for the pics so it has been done then but i presume this is a steel hulled boat not a GRP one? BWM that is a very good idea and one i never thought of and one worth considering i think thank you cheers.gif

• Greenie 1

Thank you again all for the pics so it has been done then but i presume this is a steel hulled boat not a GRP one? BWM that is a very good idea and one i never thought of and one worth considering i think thank you cheers.gif

Glad to help, its a good looking boat and would be a shame to change the proportions and risk putting it out of balance. Good luck with the project.

• Greenie 1

Have you considered converting to wheel steering? Might be an easier modification, not cheap but would give a safe area for your companions without changing the look of the boat.

Jolly good idea!

And if the wheel steering cable or Hydraulic Ram could be easily disconnected,the Tiller steering could be retained

If extra people were on the Stern Deck the wheel could be used,and if just the Helmsman were there the Tiller could be used as normal

CT

• Greenie 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you again all for the suggestions very much appreciated indeedy i have put a Deposit on the said GRP Narrowboat and collect it early March well i say collect i mean move onto it as it is only a few yards from my mooring clapping.gif