When Engines Have Probably Not Been Removed In Nearly 50 Years.

Featured Posts

Something I've long wondered about... if a slow revving vintage engine can't be fitted with a big enough pulley to spin an alternator fast enough could it be achieved with an idler shaft? Engine spins small pulley on idler shaft, large pulley on idler shaft spins alternator.

Would that work? Is it a naff idea?

Been there done that. It did work electrically, though my installation had trouble with the life of the ball bearings for the intermediate shaft- it was overhung (so the belts could be changed easily) and I couldn't fit large enough bearings to take the load from the two drive belts. That should not be insuperable with a different set up. Lining it all up properly in 3 dimensions was interesting to say the least.

However, as MtB has found, many vintage engines have a big flywheel so there is room for a big pulley and if not a poly-V belt will run on the outside of the flywheel. Air cooled stuff is probably the exception though.

N

Edited by BEngo

And the engine running in the boat.

(Still no propeller or gear rodding present though!)

Blog Link.

Great sound :)

Would you call that uplift at the end of the engine room a stop beam, even though there's no roof immediately behind it?

Or 'in front of it' to be more correct ;)

Would you call that uplift at the end of the engine room a stop beam, even though there's no roof immediately behind it?

Or 'in front of it' to be more correct wink.png

If you mean the wooden beam that sits across the leading edge of the engine room roof, I brieve it is called a "back end beam", but I often get my terms confused, so am happy to be corrected if it isn't.

Just to confuse, the steel rail that sits on the front of the engine room with single steel ring threaded on is definitely called a "back end rail" - that much I'm certain of.

• 5 weeks later...

Something I've long wondered about... if a slow revving vintage engine can't be fitted with a big enough pulley to spin an alternator fast enough could it be achieved with an idler shaft? Engine spins small pulley on idler shaft, large pulley on idler shaft spins alternator.

Would that work? Is it a naff idea?

Good idea,the the Shaft from engine to idle would likely need twin belts or a Polyvee type to deal with the increased Torque

CT

Good idea,the the Shaft from engine to idle would likely need twin belts or a Polyvee type to deal with the increased Torque

CT

If you were feeling adventurous I guess you could fit a centrifugal clutch on the idler output pulley to make starting easier.

If you were feeling adventurous I guess you could fit a centrifugal clutch on the idler output pulley to make starting easier.

Or,do what I have on my Boat,the 3 Alternators have their Fields isolated during Start up and also when the Engine is Idling

It also means that the Tick over speed can be lower than standard

CT

The videos look like they were taken on a smart phone held vertically, not sure what phone you are using, but generally if you rotate it and hold it horizontally while taking videos you will take a full widescreen image instead of the cropped image with blank bars each side.

Or,do what I have on my Boat,the 3 Alternators have their Fields isolated during Start up and also when the Engine is Idling

CT

That's far too sensible. My temperamental centrifugal clutch idea that'll fail every few months is a much better plan ;)

The videos look like they were taken on a smart phone held vertically, not sure what phone you are using, but generally if you rotate it and hold it horizontally while taking videos you will take a full widescreen image instead of the cropped image with blank bars each side.

Blame Apple for making it possible. The most stupid design in the history of design. You can tell Steve Jobs is no longer at the helm.

Blame Apple for making it possible. The most stupid design in the history of design. You can tell Steve Jobs is no longer at the helm.

What amazes me though is how many teenagers haven't figured out to turn the phone horizontally, usually they are the first to know.

CT

Or...

Have a 30" diameter flywheel pulley like mine.....

Or...

Have a 30" diameter flywheel pulley like mine.....

But the discussion was predicated on a situation where a large enough pulley couldn't be fitted...

Jolly good,bit low on the speed though,do you use a rev counter or a Calendar?

CT

:lol:

But the discussion was predicated on a situation where a large enough pulley couldn't be fitted...

laugh.png

Just remembered,Mike finds it is easier to calculate Engine speed with a Gas Meter (He managed to locate a Vintage Brass one) affixed to the Engine's Exhaust Pipe.

Simply divide the B.T.U.'s by the Lock/miles travelled per day

The Guy's a genius !

CT

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 1

Just remembered,Mike finds it is easier to calculate Engine speed with a Gas Meter (He managed to locate a Vintage Brass one) affixed to the Engine's Exhaust Pipe.

Simply divide the B.T.U.'s by the Lock/miles travelled per day

The Guy's a genius !

CT

No, I just count the bangs in ten seconds....

Correct about the genius bit though!

Another instalment in our engine saga.

This blog post explains the circumstances of us buying an extra engine, originally with the intention of getting "Flamingo" back up and running in the fastest time possible, but due too unforeseen circumstances, now scheduled to replace the engine in "Sickle" instead.

• Greenie 1