Reputable boat builders

Ratty69

Featured Posts

Hi all

I'm just in the process of finding a boat for live aboard purposes. I'm currently working my way through forums, websites, local knowledge etc etc to point me in the right direction for the answers to a million questions :-/

Today's question .... Jordan & Till ... anyone know if they are/were a reputable firm with decent build quality for their boats? I'll be viewing one of their boats in the near future and just trying to find out what I can beforehand.

Any help appreciated :-)

Hi :-)

That's a good start then

Don't worry overmuch. Our first boat, nearly 20 years ago, was built by Atlas Boatbuilders. When we made enquiries, we found that no one had ever heard of them. But we kept and loved the boat for some five years and it generally did everything we wanted it to.

Not sure what sort of price bracket you're looking at or what style of boat; Colecraft is a good, dependable middle-range builder who has been going for many years, could be a good starting point.

The boat listing on CanalPlanAC shows only 2 boats built by that name, (and a third by "Jordan Marine", which, I suppose, could be connected?).

Hardly a high volume builder then! Make of that what you will, but I suspect you are unlikely to find anyone on here familiar with boats they built, dues to the fact they appear to have only built 2 or 3.......

Sobek Built by Jordan & Till in 1992 - Length : 18.2 metres ( 59 feet 9 inches ) - Beam : 2 metres ( 6 feet 7 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Diesel engine with a power of 28 HP. Registered with The Environment Agency number A2024 as a Non Hire Annual Private Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Saturday 11th July 2015 )

Tambourine Built by Jordan & Till Ltd in 1998 - Length : 14.93 metres ( 49 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Hull colour : Black , Superstructure colour : Green
Powered by an Inboard Diesel engine with a power of 38 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Anglian Region number G15432 as a Motor boat Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Sunday 17th May 2009 )

Willow 2 Built by Jordan Marine - Length : 12.5 metres ( 41 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 0.55 metres ( 1 foot 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 999 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 51909 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Other boat names on this licence plate (May be Historical Data)

Willow Built by Unknown - Length : 12.8 metres ( 42 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 51909 as a Powered Motor Boat. ( Last updated on Tuesday 19th April 2005 )

I can confirm that they were based at Woverhampton top lock to be more precise Victoria Basin - search google for them brings up companies house info. The company has now been dissolved.

Other boats built by them may be found under Associated Cruisers. We hired from them a 35ft boat in 1997 - appropriately called Wake given that a couple of days previously we had had the funeral for my mother!

My memory is that they were old school builders and repairers so the boat may well be very good.

I can confirm that they were based at Woverhampton top lock to be more precise Victoria Basin - search google for them brings up companies house info. The company has now been dissolved.

Other boats built by them may be found under Associated Cruisers. We hired from them a 35ft boat in 1997 - appropriately called Wake given that a couple of days previously we had had the funeral for my mother!

My memory is that they were old school builders and repairers so the boat may well be very good.

Would that have been Selwyn Jordan then?

Two boats built and registered six years apart? They didn't over-exert themselves on the boatbuilding front, then. How very pleasing that the boat which Ratty has been asking about has been tracked down so quickly.

Good afternoon, this boat has been spoken of before on cwdf. Didn't read the whole thread but possibly connected with a scam ? Also when googled you find a old sale site which states that when out of the water in 2012 pitting of the hull was found and pits where filled with epoxy. Not great news but worth checking out before you look at boat.

How will pits filled with epoxy show up on an ultrasound test?

If the tester shows the metal thickness at the bottom of the pits getting fully comprehensive insurance may be an issue in the future.

Edited to change "compatible" back to wot I rote, "comprehensive". Bluddy Autocorrect!

Edited by cuthound

is this the boat

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=501280

​"Blacking & Hull survey June 2016, hull deemed 'sound overall structure' with no plating necessary"

so may be need to question surveyor.

I came to the decision many years ago (after being badly 'burnt' and having no legal recourse because surveyors are not responsible if they 'miss' something) never again to buy a boat because of a 'good' surveyors report'.

I have since that time (using my own judgement) brought more than a dozen boats and never had any 'problems'.

When it comes to surveyors "Caveat Emptor"

• Greenie 1

I came to the decision many years ago (after being badly 'burnt' and having no legal recourse because surveyors are not responsible if they 'miss' something) never again to buy a boat because of a 'good' surveyors report'.

I have since that time (using my own judgement) brought more than a dozen boats and never had any 'problems'.

When it comes to surveyors "Caveat Emptor"

I hope you don't think that i'm too curious, but if you don't mind me asking :"Where did you bring that more than a dozen boats to, without ever having had a problem ?" wink.png

Peter.