A non-EU person buying a canalboat

StephenSY7

Featured Posts

Hi to those reading this, I am new to this Forum. I am an Australian looking at buying a boat to travel the canals of Europe but am not sure whether, being a non-EU person, that is possible (I enter both western Europe and the UK on a visitor visa). Are there any non-EU people out there (or anyone who has current info), who have bought a boat in the last couple of years who can advise on this? I'm concerned I may not be able to transfer registration or get insurance. Thanks, Stephen

There are lots of people from Australia on the canals in the U.K., but bear in mind that the UK is very different to Europe boat wise, so if you want a boat in the U.K. you would probably not be taking it to Europe. If your main interest is Europe then buying a suitable boat there would be the best. I have a feeling that you can spend 6 months a years in the U.K. with little formality as long as do do not work, probably because you are a commonwealth citizen, so don't know how you would stand else where in Europe.

No problem in anyone buying a boat in the U.K. there in no formality to that.

Licence no issue buying no issue have had some insurance problems especially trying to get third party after previous brokers demanded a new survey 3 weeks after a new 5 mm bottom had been overplated on . By then we were back at work in Oz.

Crt may claim you are continually cruising ... Did it to us while we're on our winter mooring via our Australian email address.

You need friends or a very good marina to prevent stress while a long way away...

In our experience some well known companies will not offer insurance on line to non EU residents. We googled narrowboat insurance for non EU residents that led us to a broker who offered a Haven policy. We have been queried astutely but politely at Heathrow by immigration as to why we wanted a six month visa . No problems with CART regarding our nominated winter mooring. If you can open a UK non resident bank account it simplifies a lot of things. We managed to open a UK HSBC account only because a couple of years earlier we had already opened accounts with HSBC in New Zealand . We have heard others have managed something similar with an Australian Bank and the Clydeside? Bank. Lots of Australasians manage the hoops and enjoy this unique type of boating, a wonderful way of seeing England and a diverse but really supportive and friendly community.

For us the reality has been even better then the dream.

Don and Val NB Whio currently enjoying Auckland

A difficulty in mainland Europe is that visitor visa's are only for three months. While overstaying up to six months may be tolerated on an ad-hoc basis you are totally vulnerable if only one official decides to enforce the visa with a fine, immediate departure and no return for five years. Not great if you own a boat there. The UK immigration have discretion to issue six month visa's if you satisfy them that you are unlikely to overstay and have sufficient financial resources to fully fund your stay. Evidence of return flight and travel insurance is helpful in convincing them to use this discretion. By the way the UK narrowboat is a niche boat for the unique English channel network but severely compromised for the requirements of continental European waterways.

Don and Val

While you may buy a boat, it may be hard to manage it during the months you are out of the UK. UK narrow boats are a finely developed design specifically for the UK canal system. They are horribly expensive to move over land, or by truck/ferry, and not particularly suited to mainland European canals. UK canal boats are NOT seaworthy.

If you want to BUY a boat, consider paying a manager to supervise it during your absence and prepare it for your immediate use on arrival, This could be a boatyard with dry dock or slip where for example the batteries could be charged monthly,diesel filled, water tank sanitised,frost prevented, etc and maybe even a food pack could be loaded for your arrival. Likely they would be contact with CaRT too.

Otherwise consider a six month hire from a recognised hire company.

Thanks all for your replies. I realise I should have been a bit clearer in describing what I was looking at buying - I wasn't looking at buying a Narrowboat (too limiting in many ways) but rather some form of cruiser, preferably with fore & aft cabins, around 35' long. I would choose something able to cross the channel safely and be able to cruise in the Med. I accept that will limit me to some degree in the UK but I suspect there are enough waterways in the UK for me to not miss the bits I can't travel. Stephen

Even with a cruiser, you would be safer to use a manager or boatyard for your out of Europe times, even if you are in Europe for six months each year,that's still half a year for your boat batteries to die, and bilges to fill, and drinking water tank to grow bio. Perhaps someone with direct experience can tell you what times it takes to cruise the French canals from the Channel to the Med.

CaRT -Canal and River Trust, the body responsible for most of the navigable waters inland, to whom fees are payable and who regulate the basic safety of boats permitted to navigate "their" waters in the UK

Thanks all for your replies. I realise I should have been a bit clearer in describing what I was looking at buying - I wasn't looking at buying a Narrowboat (too limiting in many ways) but rather some form of cruiser, preferably with fore & aft cabins, around 35' long. I would choose something able to cross the channel safely and be able to cruise in the Med. I accept that will limit me to some degree in the UK but I suspect there are enough waterways in the UK for me to not miss the bits I can't travel. Stephen

You will not be able to travel perhaps the most famous UK canal structure the Ponty-wotsit aqueduct, the beautiful Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals. A trip to visit Stratford on Avon would demand a passage up the River Severn which needs a pilot and should never be undertaken lightly. You could not easily get to the Anderton boat lift without dealing with Peel Holdings and meeting their requirements for transiting the Manchester Ship Canal. You could not even get into Birmingham or Manchester although Manchester would be available via the ship canal after a long sea cruise along the west coast(including Wales) from the Severn or if your boat could pass the Leeds and Liverpool canal.

As I told you elsewhere I suspect buying a narrowboat for the UK, selling it, and buying a cruiser for the continent may be the best option.

Edited by Tony Brooks

The standard European "Schengen" visa is 3 months no return within 3 months, BUT Australia has some agreements with individual countries which may permit a longer stay. You need to research this on google. Boatyards in the UK are not used to looking after boats for absentee owners but this is more normal on the continent, our club in Belgium is "looking after" at least one for an Australian couple.

I have exactly the sort of boat you are describing (36 foot, Sea-worthy, with a 2000+ mile range without refuelling, Master cabin and on-suite at the stern, 2nd cabin and on-suite at the bow, separate lounge, dining room and kitchen, twin engines) It is totally unusable on 90% of the inland waterways of the UK.

Can be used on the MAJOR rivers only (and even then in the Summer I grounded in the middle of the River Trent due to low water)

If you want to navigate the inland waterways, then you need a VERY different boat to one that will cross the channel, 'do' the European waterways and the Med.

Happy for you to contact me if I can be of any further help, pics of my boat etc etc.

Hi to those reading this, I am new to this Forum. I am an Australian looking at buying a boat to travel the canals of Europe but am not sure whether, being a non-EU person, that is possible (I enter both western Europe and the UK on a visitor visa). Are there any non-EU people out there (or anyone who has current info), who have bought a boat in the last couple of years who can advise on this? I'm concerned I may not be able to transfer registration or get insurance. Thanks, Stephen

Just a question :

What boating experience do you have ?

Whilst the UK requires no 'certificates of competence' Mainland Europe will expect you to have, and if on the Inland waterways of mainland Europe you will / may be expected to pass a CEVNI 'test'.

The CEVNI test, or the easy to remember Code Europeen des Voies de Navigation Interieure to give it the full name, is required by anyone wishing to operate on any of the inland waterways on the European Continent. The RYA Interactive online CEVNI test checks your knowledge of the rules of the road that apply to these inland waterways.

The European inland waterways vary from huge shipping lane used by heavy industry to beautiful canals that will provide some of the best boating you will ever experienced. If you are planning a trip to Europe then you may as well add this proof of competence to your existing RYA certificates to ensure that you get the very best from your boating.

A word to the wise - the European local authorities will not accept your presence on the canals with good grace without the correct paperwork so if you are not qualified don't chance it!

Crossing from the UK to Mainland Europe you are crossing the busiest waterway in the world, you are not even 'going with the traffic' but directly across the separation lanes of some of the biggest ships in the world, it IS frightening.

Just a question :

What boating experience do you have ?

Whilst the UK requires no 'certificates of competence' Mainland Europe will expect you to have, and if on the Inland waterways of mainland Europe you will / may be expected to pass a CEVNI 'test'.

The CEVNI test, or the easy to remember Code Europeen des Voies de Navigation Interieure to give it the full name, is required by anyone wishing to operate on any of the inland waterways on the European Continent. The RYA Interactive online CEVNI test checks your knowledge of the rules of the road that apply to these inland waterways.

The European inland waterways vary from huge shipping lane used by heavy industry to beautiful canals that will provide some of the best boating you will ever experienced. If you are planning a trip to Europe then you may as well add this proof of competence to your existing RYA certificates to ensure that you get the very best from your boating.

A word to the wise - the European local authorities will not accept your presence on the canals with good grace without the correct paperwork so if you are not qualified don't chance it!

Crossing from the UK to Mainland Europe you are crossing the busiest waterway in the world, you are not even 'going with the traffic' but directly across the separation lanes of some of the biggest ships in the world, it IS frightening.

This is perfectly correct. I have boated in France for 5 months per year every year since 2006 and, as yet, have not been checked but I have friends who have and the checks are pretty stringent. Ships papers, insurance, ICC with CEVNI endorsement, correct numbers of life jackets, certification of life jacket inspections, correct fire extinguishers and certification of inspection of them, VHF operator's licence etc. The water police made my friends get fire extinguisher inspections or replace the fire extinguishers with new ones when theirs didn't comply and then send any supporting documentation through to them within two weeks IIRC. So please don't ignore the documentation aspect of European boating.

Roger

Sorry if yoy know this - but the main UK canal system can only handle boats under 7 feet wide, 70 ft long, 3ft water draught and 6 ft air drought. The Grand Union from London to Birmingham can theoretically pass boats 14 ft wide but all ajoining canals are narrow. So none are really not suitable for sea-going boats.

If you took a hire boat for the three month Summer season, I'd suggest that would probably be cheaper (and certainly less hassle) than buying, insuring, licencing and selling your own (even without repairs / alterations).

I would espect to be able to negotiate a a decent discount on the weekly hire rate for a long-term hire.

In that time you'd be able to explore pretty much all the system.

Edited by jake_crew

If you are looking for a cruiser I would not be looking in the UK, I would look in Holland, try botentekoop and marktplatz , you will get many, many more for sale there, probably steel built and not GRP and many of the size you need. We met a Swiss couple who had 'circumnavigated' France by way of the Rhine, Rhone, various other canals, the Med, Canal de Midi, a bit of the Atlantic and Channel coast up to Calais and back into the French canals again where we met them on their way back to Switzerland. All that in a very run of the mill 10m cruiser that was a bit elderly. (as were the charming owners)

That boat would have been good for all the Thames estuary, Medway, Wey, Thames and many more connected waterways in the UK.

That boat would have been good for all the Thames estuary, Medway, Wey, Thames and many more connected waterways in the UK.

Except the extensive bit in the middle that links the wide beam northern and southern waterways. That is the problem unless a lengths coastal sea voyage or road transport is acceptable. Of course if the OP is happy to be limited to just the southern OR northern wide beam waterways such a boat would be fine but they will need to watch the dimensions. I remember the late Tim saying his ex Thames Conservancy upper Thames tug (Kennet) grounded on the Leeds and Liverpool in places.