Inverter generators

jddevel

Featured Posts

I know it`s sad- it`s Christmas Eve but the grandchildren have finally gone to bed everyone is taking "five minutes" of downtime s this. Still trying to make my mind up on my power generation- I refer to my other topics- and have come across this fact which to me throws up other possibilities. Anyone familiar with this. See below

Parallel OperationMany inverters, like the Yamaha EF2000iS generator, can twin-tech2.jpgbe paired with another identical unit to double your power capacity. This type of parallel capability means you can use two smaller, lighter generators to provide the same wattage and amperage of one much larger generator – without sacrificing all the benefits of the smaller, lighter, quieter, more portable inverter units. Conventional units simply can’t offer this feature. Note that you will need a special cable to connect your generators, which is generally not (never, that we're aware of) supplied with the generator, but is available at extra cost. (See the cable for the Yamaha EF2000iS on our Accessories page.)

I have been wondering if this would enable me to weld with two 2.6kva kipors...

Yes

&

No

Will dep on what you are welding & what you are welding it with.

I can use our 6kVa to weld cars & thinish stuff (up to about 100 amps which is about 3 kVa) but as soon as I need to turn the welder up I have to use the tractor powered genny.

Even on thin stuff it welds better on the big genny.

You get cold starts on each arc strike as the smaller genny cant cope with the inrush current.

I don't believe that 2 smaller generators running simultaneously would be quieter than a single larger generator of the same brand running at the same output.

According to Honda's specs, the smaller 1kW inverter generators are actually louder than some of the larger ones!

Considering Hondas and some of the other quality inverter generators feature variable power output according to demand I can't really see what the benefit would be of 2 smaller units?

Anyway, merry Christmas!

Edited by blackrose

What Justme in #4 said.

I can and do use my primitive 120A induction regulated welder on a cheap and nasty generator and can get a respectable result. BUT the gennie doesn't like the inductive load and makes striking the ark difficult and unless your control of the ark is good it is easy to do a 'pigeon shit' weld.

My mate has a fancy (I want one!) inverter high frequency AC/DC plug it into the wall socket welder and it will have nothing to do with any generator he's tried to use it with. So yes and no.

Happy Pistmas.

My thoughts were that whilst I was obviously not aware of the possibility of other makes being linked to raise the out-put, I was looking at the fact that with hopefully using a wireless remote start, I could run one only with the second coming into play when a larger wattage was required. It means also that I could buy one with the add-on later. Obviously I would have to see if the manufactures have allowed for this arrangement and if not how could it be done. I`m weighing up generator as apposed to inverter and battery charger. Whilst to many this all may be spend spend as I`m saving it being a sailaway I have the possibility to explore this sort of arrangement. Hopefully I do not appear too pretentious! We`d all like the perfect arrangement.

My thoughts were that whilst I was obviously not aware of the possibility of other makes being linked to raise the out-put, I was looking at the fact that with hopefully using a wireless remote start, I could run one only with the second coming into play when a larger wattage was required. It means also that I could buy one with the add-on later. Obviously I would have to see if the manufactures have allowed for this arrangement and if not how could it be done. I`m weighing up generator as apposed to inverter and battery charger. Whilst to many this all may be spend spend as I`m saving it being a sailaway I have the possibility to explore this sort of arrangement. Hopefully I do not appear too pretentious! We`d all like the perfect arrangement.

Not pretentious, just a little bit far fetched.

Most of us are content with a workable arraignment. Perfection is for the Gods.

If you are planing to live and work aboard you will need to make some compromises and adjustments from a land braced existence. This don't mean 'camping' ..NO! NO! 'just altering expectations.

Quote :

Most of us are content with a workable arraignment. Perfection is for the Gods.

If you are planing to live and work aboard you will need to make some compromises and adjustments from a land braced existence. This don't mean 'camping' ..NO! NO! 'just altering expectations.

I respectively would suggest that much of what we accept today as normal- even an internet connection - is because some will not if it`s possible, accept compromise and adjustments. As the sign in the back of the mini says my other car is a Rolls Royce, my other boat is a Dubois 24mtr Ketch for blue water sailing complete with full crew, butler and all mod-cons- I wish!!

• Greenie 1

It`s trying to ensure my better halve doesn`t complain about time in a launderette whilst holidaying for an extended period. So a on board washing machines` use is important. I was thinking of two 2kw inverter generators.Unlike a "live aboard" who I do recognise are ready and able to adapt their lifestyle to balance their needs ours is more a mobile holiday home and as such we don`t want to return home with soiled clothing. I have "trawled" through pages of topics on power sources on this forum and have not arrived at a definitive answer. Washing machine, microwave and possibly a toaster. This last one is only a maybe and for use during the day by younger grandchildren for who lighting the oven grill may be too hazardous. There must be a sort of ideal to suit US. I`ve just to find it without saying "dam I wish I`d thought of that earlier". Years of property design and development have taught me that time planning now will save much frustration and adapting later. Another reason for deciding on a sailaway which as stated previously has a Beta 38 and as such cannot take a `travel pack`

As you are starting 'from scratch' I would suggest that the best answer would be to install a 'proper' boat / marine generator.

It will be wired into the electrics so no problem with having to lift the generator out onto the bank to use it.

It will be elect start - just push a button.

It will be piped into the main fuel system - no finding (and lugging) cans of petrol about

Reduced risk - no petrol to store on board.

Will be sufficiently large to run washing machine, microwave and toaster (depending on model chosen)

Size - potentially smaller than 2x petrol generators (typically about an 18" 'cube')

Water cooled and quieter than 2x petrol generators.

There is a LOT to be said for having a diesel genset that runs off boat fuel, that is installed onto vibration damping mounts and electrically startable. Avoid petrol -it's hard to find on the cut and really needs it's own vented storage.

Whatever you use there is NO certainty that your washing machine will start and run well from a generator. There are many threads on here about washers that will not run off generators and inverters.

Thank you for that. So I think the first thing I need to do is find a model washing machine that will run happily on a inverter generator and is what my wife would be happy with. Realizing of course that it may not be quite "like at home". I certainly don`t want a washer dryer which is even a no no at home. I`ll run the radiators if necessary.

Thank you for that. So I think the first thing I need to do is find a model washing machine that will run happily on a inverter generator and is what my wife would be happy with. Realizing of course that it may not be quite "like at home". I certainly don`t want a washer dryer which is even a no no at home. I`ll run the radiators if necessary.

The Zanussi 38 AW runs well off my Sunshine Solar 3000 Watt Inverter

Battery Bank is 600 A.H.

Boat's Engine has 2 75 AMP Alternators

The Zanussi has an 1100 Watt Heating Element

Am not convinced of the practicality or Durability of the Travelpower

CT

We run a 3.5kg Candy aquamatic washing machine on the boat. With todays modern detergents its possible to get stuff clean on a cold wash. This means no generator is needed as maximum load is about 500watts which is easily handled by our 1K inverter, 375ah of batteries and 90+70a alternators.

No noise, no storage worries. On the previous boat we had a washer dryer and a 6kva built in genset the present setup is streets ahead.

Our inverter will also run the toaster 750w, hairdryer 1kw, iron 1.2kw, hotbrush etc. The only thing that would need a bigger inverter is a microwave and we ditched that 5 years ago.

Edited by Loddon

We run a 3.5kg Candy aquamatic washing machine on the boat. With todays modern detergents its possible to get stuff clean on a cold wash. This means no generator is needed as maximum load is about 500watts which is easily handled by our 1K inverter, 375ah of batteries and 90+70a alternators.

No noise, no storage worries. On the previous boat we had a washer dryer and a 6kva built in genset the present setup is streets ahead.

Our inverter will also run the toaster 750w, hairdryer 1kw, iron 1.2kw, hotbrush etc. The only thing that would need a bigger inverter is a microwave and we ditched that 5 years ago.

I expect that makes it 'sweat' a bit.

Whether or not a Travelpower is a good thing is a matter of opinion (personally I think it is) but anyway, I am very puzzled by your comments about them not being available for a Beta38. This page from Beta's own website clearly shows that a 3.5kVA Travelpower is an available option for a Beta 38:

http://betamarine.co.uk/inland-alternator-options/

Ditto this page:

http://betamarine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/inland_guidelines/KC_Alternators_Options.pdf

Edited by nicknorman

Anyway, if starting from scratch I would look at a built in diesel genny rather than portable petrol one. That is, if you really think you need a genny. You say that the boat will not be live-aboard but just a holiday boat, so I wonder how much time you will be spending static as opposed to cruising. If you expect to cruise most days then I'd have thought you wouldn't really need a genny.

We have a compact Zanussi washing machine, a compact tumble drier (conventional vented type), a toaster, a Nespresso coffee machine, a bread-maker, recording Freesat HD box and tend to use an electric kettle a lot. For the things that use a lot of energy ie washer and in particular the drier, we just arrange to use them whilst cruising. Mostly on the Travelpower but with the Beta 43's 175A alternator they could run on that via the inverter. On the Beta 38 you only get a 100A alternator I think, but a way to boost that might be to get the 70A engine alternator and then use a split charge system to link the two alternators when the engine is running, giving you 170A.

There is a LOT to be said for having a diesel genset that runs off boat fuel, that is installed onto vibration damping mounts and electrically startable.

Being installed on vibration damping mounts won't be of much benefit if the engine isn't balanced, quiet in its own right and cocooned within a soundproofed cover - but then you're talking serious money for a proper marine diesel. I've been on boats where people have tried to install a water cooled building site type diesel generator with mounts and a cover, but for me the noise was unbearable. I'd rather stick to my Honda petrol and just be very careful with the fuel.

But if money was no object this is what I'd have:

https://www.northern-lights.com/recreational-marine/marine-generators/m673ld3-54-5-kw/

Edited by blackrose

Regarding my comment concerning the Beta38 Travelpower. I asked Adrian Tompkies of Beta Marine to quote for a Travel Poer. He replied that the 100amp alternator fitted was the largest possible on a Beta 38. Whether this was due to, I believe it was crankshaft problems in the past, I don`t know but assumed he was correct so have not pursued that avenue.