Upton on Severn mooring

Kent Tool

Featured Posts

Since you people are so helpful, I'll rely on you for suggestions about mooring at Upton on Severn. We will plan to leave Worcester Marina and hope to moor at Upton for a least a day. What's the best time to try to arrive in order to find one of the rare ( I understand) moorings on the River. Or would it be better to try to moor at Upton Marina and taxi into town? Arrival date will be, I hope, June 2.

Your best bet for one of the town moorings would be to arrive mid-morning (about 11am) but you may still have to breast up - only a problem if you have young children or cautious dogs aboard.

Last time I stayed at Upton marina the walk into town was not too taxing - just down the road and over the bridge.

You wouldn't have to taxi from the marina it's only a short walk over the bridge. (Google maps says 0.5mile or 10 minute walk from Marina Entrance to The Old Anchor In in the middle of town) I have only ever been twice and both times arrived about 6pm or later on a summer evening. The boaters there were really kind on both occasions and made space for me by inviting me to breast up.

20140623_064038_1.jpg

The first time I went we squeezed onto the pontoon upstream of the bridge, the second time as in the photo we were on the steps below the bridge (in the Alvechurch boat with my canoe alongside) The only problem was getting the dog out of the side hatch onto the stern of the boat we were alongside!

I think that downstream of the trip boat mooring (which is downstream of the steps) there is a pub mooring for patrons of the pub so you could go there as long as you went into the pub!

I would suggest turning up when it suits you, seeing if you can squeeze in on the river and if not go into the Marina.

Have a great trip.

Edited by NickF

I don't think you can really predict a good time, and the chances are you will need to brest up, so accept that. There is room for 3 boats on the pontoon, with one being on the inside at the downstream end. Last time I was there the upstream inside was not accessible due to the trees. On the outside as well as the moorings on the steps shown in the photo will normally have boats breasted up.

The marina is just the other side of the river, and whilst I have not been in there, I would expect you can walk into the town with no problem. Probably best to call the marina first, even from outside, I don't think there is a lot of space for manoeuvre a narrowboat.

If my memory is correct Worcester is only about 3 hours cruising from Upton. If you really do want to guarantee your best possible chance of getting onto the pontoon then aim to get to the CRT manned River Lock in Worcester as soon as it opens. The locks you'll need to do beforehand to go from Canal to River are self operated so you can go down them quite early.

If you do this you'll get to Upton mid-morning. You'll likely to find that some people have left and the next tranche not arrived yet. This is your best chance probably.

Having said that, Upton is one of those places where there are no guarantees of getting bankside. You have to be prepared to breast or raft up, but you should find others know this too and will be accommodating. Once you have your mooring, don't be one of those people that then come out scowling whilst putting side fenders down when the next boat turns up and wants to go on the outside of you.

When you arrive you have to go past the pontoon to wind so you'll get a chance to see what spaces there are, or shout to ask someone if they mind you coming alongside.

We went there early September this year and the pontoon was 'full' on arrival late lunchtime. We tied on the outside of a boat there who told us that after they'd had lunch they were setting off and we could have their space alongside the bank (pontoon).

Whatever you do don't worry, with creativity there us room for about 40 boats on the pontoon and town wall.

Last time we went past Upton the pontoon was completely empty....we hadn't planned on stopping as it's always been rammed....we quickly did a u turn and tucked ourselves on the inside.....within half an hour we had a rather lovely sea going cruiser moored on the outside and narrowboats rafted up. I think luck plays a big part! Was a fun place to spend a couple of days....there's a great farm shop if you turn right at the top of the gang way about 3/4 mile away plus the shops in the town.

Gareth

Take into account any events on in Upton on the day you want to moor there.

If any of the Festivals are on, or the Steam Fair at Welland (end of July), or the 3 Counties Show, it is likely to be a lot busier than normal.

It is an easy walk from the Marina into town.

Yes. We travel with 3 dogs aboard, so a bankside mooring is pretty much essential for us!

We had to lift the labrador and pass her through the side hatch ... difficult with one dog, pretty well impossible with three!

Yes. We travel with 3 dogs aboard, so a bankside mooring is pretty much essential for us!

With that requirement Upton may not work, so make sure you time things so you have time to get the Tewkesbury or Worcester, depending on which way you are going, if there is no space at Upton.

I've always found a mooring at Upton, just be prepared to get creative with how you moor and how others moor. Be careful if mooring on the steps when the river level is up. If the level drops overnight you could find yourself caught on a step. I favour the pontoon for this reason.

Upton is an excellent charity shop hunting ground with many a swanky clothing item to be discovered. As I type, I'm wearing a rather natty Pierre Cardin blazer which was purchased in Upton for under a tenner. Some good pubs and restaurants too.

I've always found a mooring at Upton, just be prepared to get creative with how you moor and how others moor. Be careful if mooring on the steps when the river level is up. If the level drops overnight you could find yourself caught on a step. I favour the pontoon for this reason.

When I last moored on the steps I was quite grateful to be breasted up on the outside for that reason.