Aparantly wood burnings stoves are bad for you?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Typical daily fail, absolutely no evidence, pure conjecture. Amazed people actually buy this paper, mind you it's probably to help start their fires!!

That awful rag The Sun is far more suited to that job. The Wail is perhaps a close second.

Trouble is that a lot of the article is right. A lot of it is people burning unseasoned wood and being sold unseasoned wood. That will produce high levels of tars etc just as bad as smoking a cigarette. Most people do not realise that logs when burnt should have a moisture level of less than 20% and if you look at a batch of logs a percentage should have radial cracks where the wood has shrunk when seasoning. I turned away a load 3 cu metre earlier this year they were still green, I think the trees had been cut that day almost. The guy could not understand, he said they would burn alright, yep with a tar coated chimney etc etc.

I wonder if it should be an offence to sell unseasoned wood for burning.

• Greenie 1

I don't think it takes a genius to work this out for yourself. Obviously burning stuff in an enclosed space will be pretty bad for you, they are never 100% ir tight. Especially true when so many people are burning those nasty oval things most marinas sell as coal. Just the dust they produce is bad enough for you.

Best thing I have found in the coal range to burn on mine is anthracite, burns cleanly, far less dust than the oval things, and produce more heat than they do.

Now I haven't read the article in question, because it's in that ghastly rag, but here is my two pennyworth about wood burning stoves. A half way decently burning stove sucks air in from the room it is in, and expels it up the flue/chimney. A fully shut down stove still sucks in air through tiny gaps in either the plates it is made of, or round the edges of doors or venting systems etc.

The article probably witters on about either gases of combustion or dust potentially killing us slowly? The only answer I can give is probably against the guidelines of this otherwise good forum.

Utter tosh, rubbish, scaremongering in order to sell unpleasant "newspapers".

Rant over.

The concern is for general air pollution not just inside the boat.

If you walk around the marina I moor at on a cold night/morning the air is thick with nasty smelling smoke. Again, it doesn't take a genius to figure out. Obviously burning anything is bad for the people in the space it is being burned in an bad for the environment surrounding it.

• Greenie 1

Personal experience, visiting shops, reading blogs ............................

Interesting I know a number of environmentalist (professional) and none burn incense I also thought Greens were a political party do they mention incense in their manifesto?

Interesting I know a number of environmentalist (professional) and none burn incense I also thought Greens were a political party do they mention incense in their manifesto?

Well, I know a few people who are incensed by some of their policies.

Hope that helps.

• Greenie 1

It is no coincidence that London smogs declined with the use of open fires, so why shouldn't the increase of solid fires have a reverse effect now?

The article is factually correct, and the importance of ensuring they are only operated with the doors closed. It also stressed the importance of keeping chimneys clean, and ensuring adequate ventilation for combustion air. The reliance on adventitious ventilation can cause incomplete combustion and allow CO to collect within the room.

Particularly on boats, many rely on scavenged wood which is rarely allowed to season, and is mainly stored in areas which cannot let it dry, which adds to the pollution. Also, boat chimneys are rarely tall enough to encourage the optimum draught to ensure complete combustion. They are also often installed without consideration for the relevant regulations (in houses and/or boats), and many are operated with open doors, or very worn door seals.

• Greenie 1

Yeah, 'spect its true, why wouldn't it be? I think its been known for quite a while anyway. Tobacco leaves - bad for you. Coal fires, exhaust fumes, smog, bonfires, paint fumes. Oh its endless innit. in fact anything apart from clean air really. (Not ozone though, that's bad too) Am I the only one who puts the car fan on to get a whiff of an autumn bonfire when a puff of smoke blows across the road? Just me then? Oh well that's me finished then.

It is no coincidence that London smogs declined with the use of open fires, so why shouldn't the increase of solid fires have a reverse effect now?

The article is factually correct, and the importance of ensuring they are only operated with the doors closed. It also stressed the importance of keeping chimneys clean, and ensuring adequate ventilation for combustion air. The reliance on adventitious ventilation can cause incomplete combustion and allow CO to collect within the room.

Particularly on boats, many rely on scavenged wood which is rarely allowed to season, and is mainly stored in areas which cannot let it dry, which adds to the pollution. Also, boat chimneys are rarely tall enough to encourage the optimum draught to ensure complete combustion. They are also often installed without consideration for the relevant regulations (in houses and/or boats), and many are operated with open doors, or very worn door seals.

How do you come to the conclusion that open fires reduced smog? Or that boaters operate their stoves with the door open? Or with defective seals. I think you are totally mistaken.

How can you be an ex Brummie? You were either born there or you weren't! I'm a Brummie and proud of it. (Born in the QE2) biggrin.png

Edited by mross

Judging from your picture, you are not young enough to be born in the QE2, it was only built 8 years ago.

I am ex because I no longer live there, but still admit to my roots. My statement was that London smogs REDUCED WITH USE OF OEN FIRES. i.e as the use of open fires reduced, so did the smogs.

My statement re open doors ad poor seals is based on personal observations in other peoples boats, and maintenance work carried out in my professional capacity.

Life is a terminal disease.

I am reminded of what Churchill said of Stafford Cripps, "“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Lol. I lurve his cruel and cutting wit, although I wish I didn't.

Like his views on Clement Atlee. "A modest man, who has much to be modest about".

Brutal!