Help! Is 15.4v a problem?

lampini

Featured Posts

Turn fridge (freezer ?) to coldest and leave door open from time to time ? If you have an immersion, turn that on as well ( apologies if already been suggested)

Good idea if our inverter could cope, but it's only a 600w-er... My irony claxon is still going off!

With a bit of practice,I reckon they could play the soundtrack from "charge of the light brigade" on the horn all the way down the cut!

Keep yer ears open on the ashby on Sarurday! :-)

In order to move the boat, I would try turning on as much load as possible (all interior lights, tunnel light, tv etc) and then start the engine and check the voltage. But if it stays up above 14.6v or so I would stop the engine and get someone out to test and service the alternator.

What cracking 'get out of jail' practical advice which I hope works to get the OP safely to her mooring where she can sort out a proper fix in slower time. Your input has been sorely missed, Nick.

• Greenie 1

So sorry Tony - you are an LX god (i have been trying to get my head around reading your online courses!) and i am an utter numpty and a fule.... Where or what is D+ and B+? As above, i'm really grateful for this help!!

No I am not - remember if you know 10% more you can go 100% further. Any way this was Sir N's test, not mine, I just remember things.

B+ is the main alternator output terminal.

D+ is the smaller warning lamp terminal.

:clapping:

Got back to the boat and did exactly as you had advised - also regained my sense of humor as we oh-so-assiduously made sure we were low power on everything i only managed to muster about 24A, including the slow cooker - no TV - just low powered laptops!

Sparked up the engine and she settled at 1200rpm at 14.7v... (charging at 3.2a on average) Will we get away with that?

Will have a scout around for more power-hungry stuff.

Oh.... the irony! :lol:

Yes I think 14.7v will be OK temporarily. Bear in mind that optimum charging voltage depends on temperature and increase at low temperatures, so if your batteries are in a cool place they'll be fine. Of course you could also deplete the batteries a bit first, by turning all the stuff on a few hours before you set off.

What cracking 'get out of jail' practical advice which I hope works to get the OP safely to her mooring where she can sort out a proper fix in slower time. Your input has been sorely missed, Nick.

+1 and then a bit....

No I am not - remember if you know 10% more you can go 100% further. Any way this was Sir N's test, not mine, I just remember things.

B+ is the main alternator output terminal.

D+ is the smaller warning lamp terminal.

clapping.gif Thanks - you're a dude! Will give it a go after work tomorrow.... tb-training is where i've learned most of the (minimal) stuff i do know btw.... hug.gif

Yes I think 14.7v will be OK temporarily. Bear in mind that optimum charging voltage depends on temperature and increase at low temperatures, so if your batteries are in a cool place they'll be fine. Of course you could also deplete the batteries a bit first, by turning all the stuff on a few hours before you set off.

Uber-dude! cheers.gif

Hilariously, the OH got in from work and reminded me that he has a fairly juicy guitar-amp we can turn on..

Apologies in advance to anyone out on the lower Ashby on Saturday - if you see a boat lit up like an xmas tree with some funky guitar-riffs emanating from it..... laugh.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sowybhBXgdU

Oh look - an excuse to re-post this! biggrin.png

I have heard that Springwood Haven? are good with electrics but I don't know if that's right.

They are but they won't rebuild an alternator. They might be able to get hold of a replacement and fit it for you though.

Do you have a seperate starter battery?

If so can you isolate the other batteries and still run the engine OK? - if so travel like this until you can get things sorted.

If not disconnect the output wire ( the heavy one) from the alternator and tape up for safety until you can get things checked.

Once started you only need power for possibly the start/stop control, so good batteries should provide this, especially with the help of solar

• 1 month later...

Just thort it would be nice to finish this one off!

We set off to our new mooring lights blazing and stew cooking - strange sounds emanating from saloon.. Possibly Carlos Santana - eek! ( but it kept that blimmin voltage down... We had a most hilarious chug to our new mooring an had a brill mechanic on the case and sorted in 48 hours - nobody was interested in doing it at our old marina due to the huge commission charged on visiting mecanics....

So that was sorted with a nice cheap recon alternator and a very pleasant genius engine bod in my phone book - phew!

Result...

This new mooring is very peaceful so we are dining much more space to do all the little jobs, and chug off to the pub for the weekend if the weather ain't too horrid...

Very grateful for all your help guys... We're slowly getting to grips with all the onboard systems ...

(Don't think I've enjoyed a winter more-shhhhh!)

/-)

Nice one smile.png

Thanks for reporting back it makes it all worthwhile.

I get that! We nearly ended up at springwood for the sorting of alternator, but as we really have to stay mostly this end for work (yawn) i thort it better to get in with the local mechanic - he's bloody good i must say.... clapping.gif

I had my solar charger set to open batteries on my gel ones, it was giving them 15v+, they are now goosed after a year :-(

Bummer....... wacko.png

I get that! We nearly ended up at springwood for the sorting of alternator, but as we really have to stay mostly this end for work (yawn) i thort it better to get in with the local mechanic - he's bloody good i must say.... clapping.gif

Bummer....... wacko.png

If you've found a good mechanic then keep hold of him :)

I'm no longer at Springwood btw - haven't been for a few years now.