Large and small Rickeys

PaddingtonBear

Featured Posts

I already have a very detailed scale drawing except for the ellum but had hoped that the large Ricky was not too far away so that I could adapt it. Can anyone tell me the main differences? The main dimensions must be near as dammit surely, much like small and bigs so are we just talking hull depth etc? Or is there something fairly radical? Mmmmmmmm the great helmsman would just love that if it was.

In the text it states that the depth of the Ricky boats was 4' 2" for the 'small', and 4' 9½" for the large. These were overall figures, from gunnel top to bottom of the Elm bottoms.

From thoses it sounds like there was either an extra plank or thicker planks used

From thoses it sounds like there was either an extra plank or thicker planks used

Yes there was an extra plank.

Commonly referred to in the wooden boat fraternity as a "5 planker" or "6 planker".

Walkers royalty butties were even bigger but had 6 wider planks.not an extra one.

Edited by carlt

I hope PB won't mind if I elaborate... Through the good offices of No.2 Son's model railway shop, he has been given an unfinished, scratch built, 1:24 scale Small Ricky butty, complete with scaled drawings. This is very exciting.

First thought was to see if it could be made into a butty that had been paired with Chertsey, but according to the comprehensive record kindly provided by Pete Harrison, Chertsey has been paired with Small Woolwiches and Big Rickies, but never a small Ricky.

OK, it would be nice if it could be easily converted into Staverton, but if that's not a goer (I was inclined to think it wasn't likely to be) are there any particularly interesting little Rickies it could become?

I've only seen photos of it so far but it looks as if the hull is pretty much complete, and the foredeck (which would militate against putting another plank in), and the cabin bulkheads are in place.

Hope PB didn't mind me chipping in :-)

We stock the butty rudder and the GA drawings. Also beware of the plan in Walkers book as it is the prototype proposed boats which produced "Acturus" & "Neptune" as motors with "Sirius" & "Altair" as buttys. These motors differed slightly from the main production run.

Would it not be easier to remove the bottoms and add a further plank to the bottom of the hull sides.The underwater profile may be compromised a the front and back ends, but it should be easier than removing the top plak, adding a further side plank and then replacing the top plank. Just a suggestion (and yes I also jave a copy of the Walkers drawing)

Would it not be easier to remove the bottoms and add a further plank to the bottom of the hull sides.The underwater profile may be compromised a the front and back ends, but it should be easier than removing the top plak, adding a further side plank and then replacing the top plank. Just a suggestion (and yes I also jave a copy of the Walkers drawing)

Or just leave it as it is and make the bottom of the model the "waterline" as most big rickies only showed 5 planks unloaded anyway...

That was exactly what I was thinking Carl, just as long as the rest is as per a large. All this is extremely theoretical at the mo. As I have not as yet summoned the courage to even think about it. I was thinking on the way back from the shop today that I might bottle it and pay someone to finish it given the pressure I am under

Edited by PaddingtonBear

They both look nice smile.png

Does anyone know what sort of nick Ariel is actually in..? ( I can see the tide mark but that isn't necessarily a good barometer smile.png )

What's the motors name..? Id have assumed it was a tar boat with the three bands of colour/shape of counter..

...someone once told me that the small Rickys were liked by the boatmen as they swam/moved really well.....it wasn't a generalisation from them being wooden but specific to the marker ..anyone else heard that ? ..is it possible that their shape was ( really) good in the water or something..

Any other Rickys about..? Any unconverted..?

smile.png

Edited by rivergate

They both look nice smile.png

Does anyone know what sort of nick Ariel is actually in..? ( I can see the tide mark but that isn't necessarily a good barometer smile.png )

It's back on the bottom now if that's any indication.

Another Ricky I went past recently.

20160815_104207_resized_zpsswqskuhj.jpg

If I remember correctly that isn't one, it's a Clayton's tar boat but someone will be along soon to say who built it but I don't think it was Walkers.