Second in a series of quite possibly dumb questions - Engine Servicing and other DIY work

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

Is this really something I could do myself? I would'nt say I was brilliant at DIY but I can plumb (the traditional way with copper & solder) I have fitted bathrooms and kitchens and can do general repairs but I know my limit. When I was younger (much younger) I always looked after my cars myself (until I was earning enough to buy new) even once putting a new engine etc in a mini. I am not afraid to get me'ands dirtysmile.png

There are, I have found on the web, various courses you can attend - does anyone have any experience of them or think they are any good?

Is this really something I could do myself? I would'nt say I was brilliant at DIY but I can plumb (the traditional way with copper & solder) I have fitted bathrooms and kitchens and can do general repairs but I know my limit. When I was younger (much younger) I always looked after my cars myself (until I was earning enough to buy new) even once putting a new engine etc in a mini. I am not afraid to get me'ands dirty:)

There are, I have found on the web, various courses you can attend - does anyone have any experience of them or think they are any good?

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership.

Secondly, the only dumb question is the one you should have asked but didn't.

Finally, sounds like you'll have no problems with routine maintenance. Canal boats have pretty basic engines with straightforward needs like oil and filter changes. Several folk on here have done the RCR courses and speak highly of them.

A canal boat engine has about as much technology as a 1980's mini. There are no ECU's or electronic controls, no turbos, no diagnostics sensors or emissions controls. So if you changed an engine I can't see you having any problems servicing - basically it's changing oil, occasionally coolant and filters.

As to plumbing, if you can do copper and build a leggo house then you can use plastic plumbing.

If you know nothing a course is good, if you have the basic skills, then try asking on here for advice.

You should have no problems with routine maintenance as long as you know how to bleed a diesel's fuel system but even then some more modern engines are self bleeding providing the battery is well charged.

However when I was running the RCR course we covered far more than the basic engine so for £200 for a two day course it would probably be worth it for the extra information like stern gland packing, domestic water systems and so on.

Noes for the RCR course when I was running it and the Boater's electrical courses on my website. I am also happy to answer questions emailed to me free of charge.

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership.

Secondly, the only dumb question is the one you should have asked but didn't.

Finally, sounds like you'll have no problems with routine maintenance. Canal boats have pretty basic engines with straightforward needs like oil and filter changes. Several folk on here have done the RCR courses and speak highly of them.

Cheers

You should have no problems with routine maintenance as long as you know how to bleed a diesel's fuel system but even then some more modern engines are self bleeding providing the battery is well charged.

However when I was running the RCR course we covered far more than the basic engine so for £200 for a two day course it would probably be worth it for the extra information like stern gland packing, domestic water systems and so on.

Noes for the RCR course when I was running it and the Boater's electrical courses on my website. I am also happy to answer questions emailed to me free of charge.

Thanks You may wish you hadn't offered that though!!!biggrin.png

A canal boat engine has about as much technology as a 1980's mini. There are no ECU's or electronic controls, no turbos, no diagnostics sensors or emissions controls. So if you changed an engine I can't see you having any problems servicing - basically it's changing oil, occasionally coolant and filters.

As to plumbing, if you can do copper and build a leggo house then you can use plastic plumbing.

If you know nothing a course is good, if you have the basic skills, then try asking on here for advice.

More good advice. I was taught plumbing at school so I guess I am old fashioned and like to do things in the traditional way although I have used plastic piping.

Handy enough to do stuff; smart enough to know your limitations; not too proud to ask questions. I'd say that's a decent enough position from which to start looking after your own boat! biggrin.png

A few years ago we bought a classic 1960's VW campervan from America (long story) which I did the servicing on for the short time we had it so maybe I am worring too much

No problem, I answer your que4stions and use them in Canal boat to help other boaters which I get paid for. The more the merrier I say.

The point is if the question seems so basic the forum might start taking the mickey, as they can, you can ask me and after about 40 years in FE nothing a boat owner asks will appear in any way basic.

No problem, I answer your que4stions and use them in Canal boat to help other boaters which I get paid for. The more the merrier I say.

The point is if the question seems so basic the forum might start taking the mickey, as they can, you can ask me and after about 40 years in FE nothing a boat owner asks will appear in any way basic.

Ok...... so which end is the front???wacko.png

They used tor run them at the ABC hire base at Alvechurch on the Birmingham & Worcester canal. If they still do, then yes.

RCR's headquarters is on a trading estate right next to the Staffs & Worcester canal, but not sure if they hold courses there.

They also do an engine servicing course on your own boat, so no need to travel for that, but it doesn't include electrics or heating systems.