Fuel tank

badgerbag

Featured Posts

I've a Les Allen built 60' about 20 years old. Does anybody have any idea of what the fuel tank capacity might be? I've had boat a year and usually filled up every 60-70 hours, but due to the non existence of diesel on the Stratford it looks like I'll have to go quite a bit longer.

I've a Les Allen built 60' about 20 years old. Does anybody have any idea of what the fuel tank capacity might be? I've had boat a year and usually filled up every 60-70 hours, but due to the non existence of diesel on the Stratford it looks like I'll have to go quite a bit longer.

Diesel is available on the river at Stratford if you are stuck, it was pricy last time I was that way. several places on the North Stratford. Take a look at http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/

I think you could get a very good estimate of your tank volume by measuring its height width and depth in inches. For its length, fore and aft, take the average to allow for curved stern. 277 cubic inches is one gallon (imperial). Alternatively, take a dip in inches before and after filling tank, noting how many litres or gallons were added. This will give a very accurate figure for litres per inch or gallons per inch. I imagine the sides are almost vertical? I suggest taking measurements in inches because people make more mistakes with centimetres or millimetres!

I had NO idea what my tank capacity was. I did a physical measure from the outside - square cruiser stern - which gave me a crude estimate. I also have a dipstick with the vertical distance between the tank bottom and filler divided up into arbitrary units ie half the stick length then half that again then half each again = eighths. I then filled up with a known amount of fuel and measured the difference (in dipstick units). This also give me a crude (and wildly different) estimate of capacity. I'm going to have to assume that the cross-sectional dimensions of the tank are the same from bottom to top and keep a careful eye on what difference adding known amounts of fuel make.

An alternative dipstick...

Assuming the tank is of the 'normal' arrangement, straight through stern into tank. and not a remote one

Place stick (long enough to reach the bottom) in tank mark the bottom of the filler neck on said stick.

Remove stick and wipe.

Mark stick four inches (10 cms, 100mm) from bottom to allow for your take off not being right at the bottom of the tank.

Measure between the two marks (top and bottom) then measure and divide into any number of divisions you like .

I only marked the quarters. ¼ ½ ¾.

Obviously will not give accurate litre but a rough figure will be calculable when filled with a set number of litres.

ps. I always fill 'er up, the stick is only used as a guide as to when. wink.png

I've had a 70ft Allen from new-1991, and fitted it out myself. I took the opportunity to measure the size of my main fuel tank, which is under the back cabin floor, before I built around it. It worked out at 135 gallons. Of course there is no guarantee yours will be the same size as mine--quite a number of Allens had the fuel tank built into the counter. However, if you have a back cabin of 8ft length, and your tank is under the floor, then it won't be that much different to mine. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, thats's a great help, and I think a little light has gone on somewhere. A spec on the Allen register mentions 60 gallon tanks fitted across the counter, and measuring as best I can suggests a figure of about 70G which is at least in the same ball park. Where I think I've confused myself is that dipping before and after filling suggested that 70L was about 2/3rds of the tank volume! But when I've dipped the full tank I've not allowed for the height of the fuel in the filler pipe. Does this make sense to anybody?

If worried about running out you could get hold of a couple of 20 litre Gerry cans so you can carry a bit of extra diesel :)

Handy if you need to get diesel from a service station if you get into an awkward situation.

If worried about running out you could get hold of a couple of 20 litre Gerry cans so you can carry a bit of extra diesel smile.png

Handy if you need to get diesel from a service station if you get into an awkward situation.

I carry a 20Lt Gerry can full but was told at the BSS inspection I sould only have 10 lt. I once ran out going up Hatton because someone had borrowed a couple of hundred lts out of my tank.

I carry a 20Lt Gerry can full but was told at the BSS inspection I sould only have 10 lt. I once ran out going up Hatton because someone had borrowed a couple of hundred lts out of my tank.

You don't say if it was petrol or diesel. If diesel he was wrong.

If petrol the rules are -

"The amount of spare petrol carried is limited to any combination of the following containers:

• 2 x 10 litre metal containers marked to conform with the 1929 Petroleum Spirit Regulations;

• 2 x 5 litre plastic containers marked to conform with the 1982 Petroleum Spirit Regulations;

• 1 x portable petrol tank of suitable proprietary manufacture of up to a maximum capacity of 27 litres.

For diesel the current BSS check list states "NOTE – the carriage of spare diesel or paraffin is not restricted by volume. "

The condition of containers for spare fuel (Jerry cans etc) as opposed to portable fuel tanks for both petrol & diesel are -

"Spare fuel containers must be free of signs of significant pitting or repairs on metal tanks, or corrosive attack or repairs on plastic tanks and must be free from leaks and other signs of damage or deterioration. "

You don't say if it was petrol or diesel. If diesel he was wrong.

If petrol the rules are -

"The amount of spare petrol carried is limited to any combination of the following containers:

• 2 x 10 litre metal containers marked to conform with the 1929 Petroleum Spirit Regulations;

• 2 x 5 litre plastic containers marked to conform with the 1982 Petroleum Spirit Regulations;

• 1 x portable petrol tank of suitable proprietary manufacture of up to a maximum capacity of 27 litres.

For diesel the current BSS check list states "NOTE – the carriage of spare diesel or paraffin is not restricted by volume. "

The condition of containers for spare fuel (Jerry cans etc) as opposed to portable fuel tanks for both petrol & diesel are -

"Spare fuel containers must be free of signs of significant pitting or repairs on metal tanks, or corrosive attack or repairs on plastic tanks and must be free from leaks and other signs of damage or deterioration. "

My thoughts as well, but he only mentioned it, not failed or noted. Its a metal 20Lt Gerry Can stored beside the main fuel tank, both diesel.