First time boat buying

quovadis

Featured Posts

Hi All

Firstly thank you for an excellent forum, great diversity in ideas and tastes. Some scary stuff and some not so scary stuff. After 15 years of dreaming and a few hire cruises we are eventually empty nesters and looking to purchase our first boat. I have spent countless hours searching and have a few questions:

1 When is it the worst time to sell your boat?

2 On a Sailaway how do I check the handling of the boat prior to filling it with furniture, I think you call it the swim??

3 Where is there a list of independent surveyors?

4 Are there buying agents or can i appoint a surveyor to be my buying agent?

I am keen to have a look at this boat and wondered if anyone knows or have had dealings with Burscough Boat Trading who built this boat?

From the photos are there any obvious flaws?

http://www.aqueductbrokerage.co.uk/index.php/boats-for-sale/boat/flat_botton_girl

2 On a Sailaway how do I check the handling of the boat prior to filling it with furniture, I think you call it the swim??

To a certain extent it 'doesn't matter', and will bear little or no resemblance to how it will perform when fitted out.

If from a 'decent' manufacturer it should be a 'normal' shaped hull and swim - avoid any 'unknown' names with limited experience.

By the time you have filled the fuel tank and water tank (about 1000kg), filled the 'poo tank', added some food in the kitchen, and furniture and fittings it will 'sit' in the water several inches deeper, and - you will need to adjust your 'lateral' ballast to stop the 'lean'.

Thanks Alan, when you say unknown names, I have been looking at a few sailawys like Burscough, Sherwood and Lymm, based on a Tyler Wilson hull, do any of these ring alarm bells. Not wanting to knock a builder but would like some direction

Didnt know Lymm used Tyler Wilson shells. They have Mike Christian as their topmof tge rsnge shell builder. He did have a connection with Tyler/Wilson but its nit the same. Swim = length if fire and aft swims (from where the hull tapers in to the bow or stern).

I thought (and forgive me if I'm mistaken) that Mike Christian was a relative of Tim Tyler and Jonathan Wilson and that he has passed away, his building style being perpetuated by T&W in his memory. The MC shell is Tyler & Wilson's budget-priced product, I think, not that that means there's anything wrong with it.

Edited by Athy

Didnt know Lymm used Tyler Wilson shells. They have Mike Christian as their topmof tge rsnge shell builder. He did have a connection with Tyler/Wilson but its nit the same. Swim = length if fire and aft swims (from where the hull tapers in to the bow or stern).

You have an odd spell checker !!laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

I thought (and forgive me if I'm mistaken) that Mike Christian was a relative of Tim Tyler and Jonathan Wilson and that he has passed away, his building style being perpetuated by T&W in his memory. The MC shell is Tyler & Wilson's budget-priced product, I think, not that that means there's anything wrong with it.

He's still alive and well for what I know, the "Christian" shells are built to the same standard and by the same people who build the Tyler/Wilson's, it's just not with all the fancy steel work, hence the lower price to suit that budget.

Edited by Northernboater

He's still alive and well for what I know, the "Christian" shells are built to the same standard and by the same people who build the Tyler/Wilson's, it's just not with all the fancy steel work, hence the lower price to suit that budget.

Yes, Mike Christian is the name Tyler Wilson give to their most basic shells. Mike Christian, as far as I know, doesn't actually exist as a person (not one single person, anyway).

Struck me as odd it doesn't already have a water tank in situ. I'd have to c g ange the position of the front door handle too, that would drive me nuts. Good engine.

Because of the titchy front well the door handle probably needs to be high up, or one would be biffing ones bum on the wells front combing if it was lower and you had to bend down to operate it.