Owner or not selling on ebay

Mendip-Locks

Featured Posts

Came across this ad on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282178193089 in the description it states "Boat has been unattended for the last 6 years. Discovered by me, cleaned up and the engine has been recommissioned and now runs well".

Discovered by me! Lends me to believe he/she assumed to be abandoned and has taken ownership of it?

Never surely but I'm struggling to find another way of interpreting what's written in the ad!

Perhaps she (I assume "Barrowgirl" would be a she) discovered it and bought it for renovation. She has lots of eBay brownie points, suggesting that this is not a fly-by-night dishonest seller.

It doesn't look a bad boat, reputable builder and interesting engine.

I agree with OP that "discovered by me" is an odd thing to say, but equally it says "lots of paperwork and last survey to hand", so unless all this was discovered on board, it sounds fairly legit.

If I were selling a boat I had simply called my own, without legitimately acquiring it, I don't think I would make paperwork available to the buyer that might make this obvious.

In fact, why would you say anything about how you came by it in the advert at all? Surely you would just behave as it had always been yours?

Perhaps e boat equivalent of a 'barn find'?

They do happen. A few years ago, a chap was selling a 30-foot Springer shell which had been ordered 20 + years before, put in a barn or outhouse, and been there ever since.

The seller does have proof of ownership she tells me.

I also contacted her. I asked if she owned the boat. I received the simple answer "Yes".

They do happen. A few years ago, a chap was selling a 30-foot Springer shell which had been ordered 20 + years before, put in a barn or outhouse, and been there ever since.

I also contacted her. I asked if she owned the boat. I received the simple answer "Yes".

And yet if you own the boat, why use the term 'discovered by me'?

And how could it have lain unused for six years before you found out you owned it? Inherited it perhaps...

All very fishy...

And yet if you own the boat, why use the term 'discovered by me'?

And how could it have lain unused for six years before you found out you owned it? Inherited it perhaps...

Evidently your favourite Elvis tune of the day is 'Suspicious Minds'.

I'm sure that many people who have, for example, renovated an old car, tractor or stationary engine will say that they "discovered it" in a barn/scrapyard/garage.

There is no suggestion that it had lain there for six years before she "found out" that she owned it. How about, it had lain there for six years and then she bought it?

The above is, of course, just an excuse to use the pleasing word "lain" a couple more times.

Evidently your favourite Elvis tune of the day is 'Suspicious Minds'.

I'm sure that many people who have, for example, renovated an old car, tractor or stationary engine will say that they "discovered it" in a barn/scrapyard/garage.

There is no suggestion that it had lain there for six years before she "found out" that she owned it. How about, it had lain there for six years and then she bought it?

The above is, of course, just an excuse to use the pleasing word "lain" a couple more times.

I'd have thought the constant nagging from CRT and/or the mooring and licence invoices would have reminded her she owned it over the last six years, had she done so.

But you're right (for a change :) ), she might have discovered it, approached the owner and done a deal to buy it cheaply, then set about getting it ready for proper sale. Good suggestion.

And yes 'lain' is a lovely word. Other words wot I like are tumbelhome, vainglorious, and turgid.

Discovered is the official phrase that would be applied to a "barn find" motor car, so maybe she didn't just find it but new its history and for whatever reason id did not have a proper owner.

................Dave

.........Discovered by me! Lends me to believe he/she assumed to be abandoned and has taken ownership of it?.........

Yes, really odd!. .......and in view of the interest - no questions have been posted, or if they have, no answers given.

But in view of the 'claimed' provenance it seems to me it would be rather easy to establish true ownership.

It suppose it depends on the value. What is the reserve price - does anybody know ?

What a superb name for a firm of estate agents (though I would spell the first one correctly, it's just a matter of personal preference.)

Or a firm of solicitors...

Anyway I DID spell it correctly. The computer changed it after I pressed "POST".

I just love the way that these people put in clauses like "I reserve the right to end auction early as boat is being advertised on site".

The next thing is that they moan about "timewasters" and "non-payers".

Don't they realise that an auction is a 2-way process?

(And Ebay may well come after them for fees if it is sold elswhere..)