Getting a quart into a 'pint pot' meltdown!

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Your choices are 3: Sell some instruments, live in a cluttered up boat, don't buy a boat.

Most likely I'll sell some instruments but still live in a cluttered-up boat because there are several I just can't bring myself to part with. Some of them are fairly small, at least.

Here is hubby with the timple, you can just see part of the holder he made to put it on the wall on the right hand side. Where there is a will there is a way. We may need to get a bigger boat one day though.

Nice!

• Greenie 1

I gave away 3 laptops sold 2 macs and filled a skip before I left for life on the canal and I still have to much stuff!

I may have got a bit carried awAy with cat litter, cat food and dog food ( it's every where!) I have two tubs of clothes that I will have to thin out again and a tidal wave of cables and extension leads, enough toilet roll to keep me going till dooms day and a fine selection of cleaners and detergents.

Sure this boat was bigger when I viewed it

I have been recommended this book as an inspiring approach to decluttering your life. I haven't read it in full yet, but I think it is very promising!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spark-Joy-Illustrated-Japanese-Tidying-ebook/dp/B0186O2N2O/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1473260103&sr=1-1&keywords=spark+joy

I gave away 3 laptops sold 2 macs and filled a skip before I left for life on the canal and I still have to much stuff!

I may have got a bit carried awAy with cat litter, cat food and dog food ( it's every where!) I have two tubs of clothes that I will have to thin out again and a tidal wave of cables and extension leads, enough toilet roll to keep me going till dooms day and a fine selection of cleaners and detergents.

Sure this boat was bigger when I viewed it

How can you have 3 laptops 2 macs and not be able to post a picture on an internet forum ? What did you use all of this computing power for ? Squasing spiders?tongue.png

• Greenie 1

I have to say this is one of the biggest reasons why we'll never live on a boat, I just don't want to get rid of my stuff.

No I won't feel better for it, and it's my choice.

I like being the one in the road who friends come to borrow tools and pots and pans from, I like space around me, I like to have a sewing room where I can leave the sewing machine set up to use when I want.

I like having tools to do the job, and so does Richard.

We love our time on the boat, but afterwards I like to get back to space, a flushing toilet, a kettle that boils is a minute or so, plenty of places to hang wet clothes, a decent shower that I can have without thinking about running the engine to keep the water hot etc etc.

So no it's not for us, but it the lifestyles for you then that's great, you'll make it work for you somehow.

Having said that it's about tie for a bit of a declutter and tidy up.

I also don't buy the argument that I should have a clear out before it all gets left to the kids to do. Why should I get rid of stuff I like so they don't have to deal with it. When I've gone I'm not going to care if it all goes in a skip, but I do care about it now.

Just another take on the situation.

Sue

Sue

• Greenie 2

Some useful rules to create narrowboat space:

Allow yourself only one space vice and clearly identify it.

Don't have a dog, cat, or other unnecessary hygiene problem.

If something is irreplaceable like photos then keep it.

If you haven't used it in the last 12 months, get rid of it, except books.

If you buy a new xxxx every time you need one rather than find the one you have, get rid of it.

Have a land-based friend with spare space who can accommodate things you need once a year or less.

Don't buy engine oil & antifreeze until the last opportunity before you need it.

Buy only bowls & pans & such that nicely stack inside each other.

For music (if you must) & books (if your eyes will let you) go electronic.

Paint your boat one colour only, to save on storing touch-up paint pots.

Have a central stove so that you can have no radiators and still be toasty.

Have a square cruiser stern. They give more space besides looking elegant.

Have good clothes washing facilities available so that you don't end up storing a huge laundrette load.

Only have one hobby. (Thats hobby not hubby.)

Have less windows to give more wall space.

Persuade other half that heshe needs hisher own boat.

[Declare other half redundant - a bit drastic]

Limit drink held on board to the minimum number of types. Actually Australian red is all anybody needs.

Avoid rivers etc that need anchors, 350 miles of chain, etc. Similarly mud weights.

Have a good fuel boat so that you can get stuff just-in-time.

Get roof boxes if you can stand garbage on the roof.

It's easy. music on iPod books on kindle and bin everything else you don't need/use.

With the exception of 80ish hardbacks, I can probably get everything I own into the boot of my car. I believe I have everything

I actually need to be very comfortable.

We sold the house, where we had lived for more than 30 years. My wife retained, among a great many other things, 7 large boxes of photos that had been in the loft, unlooked at, for the entire period. When I say large, I mean about the size of a case of a dozen bottles of wine. Let me point out that they are not on the boat, they are now in her loft, still unlooked at.

T.

It's easy. music on iPod books on kindle and bin everything else you don't need/use.

Well, it's easy if you happen only to need/use things that don't take up much space. It's not so easy if you're a couple where partner one plays the piano and one plays the cello, or one enjoys sewing and the other fishing, or both are keen cyclists, or whatever.

Well, it's easy if you happen only to need/use things that don't take up much space. It's not so easy if you're a couple where partner one plays the piano and one plays the cello, or one enjoys sewing and the other fishing, or both are keen cyclists, or whatever.

Ah, I forgot to mention the two bicycles as well as the piano, violins (rather than cello) etc etc on a 40ft narrowboat, It really is amazing what you can fit in if it really matters to you. I am hoping to be getting possession of a sewing machine as well soon.

Persuade other half that heshe needs hisher own boat.

This is also a good option, I do have my own boat but it has a teenager living on it at the moment so is of no use for further storage. They won't live at home forever though.

Do the guitar necks suffer with the humidity etc on the boat, need plenty of truss rod tweaks and go out of tune at all? What about amplifiers, how do they run ok on the boat?

As to humidity and instruments, I have to admit that my precious violin is kept in its case unless being used as I would be beyond devastated if anything happened to it. The acoustic guitar is on a stand in the living area next to the piano though and seems to be ok. I can't comment on the amplifier as we don't currently have one.........might need to think of it though for the electric violin.

Ah, I forgot to mention the two bicycles as well as the piano, violins (rather than cello) etc etc on a 40ft narrowboat, It really is amazing what you can fit in if it really matters to you. I am hoping to be getting possession of a sewing machine as well soon.

This is also a good option, I do have my own boat but it has a teenager living on it at the moment so is of no use for further storage. They won't live at home forever though.

As to humidity and instruments, I have to admit that my precious violin is kept in its case unless being used as I would be beyond devastated if anything happened to it. The acoustic guitar is on a stand in the living area next to the piano though and seems to be ok. I can't comment on the amplifier as we don't currently have one.........might need to think of it though for the electric violin.

Ok no worries thanks. I believe another poster had electric guitars, and thus amps too (or they didn't play them?)

Having enough storage space isn't necessarily a problem. Often the problem is that the space you have is unsuitable. I have a big storage area under my front deck, but it's pretty hard to get to. I have to move furniture and crawl in. It also gets very condensationy in winter. This means that only certain things get stored there. Boats can be buggers for condensation and the best way to address this is often through ventilation. That doesn't just mean ventilating the boat itself, but also ventilation of each storage area. For example, I used to shove my spare bedlinen down between a tall thin chest of drawers and the boat's side panels in the bedroom. It's pretty far from the stove and my insulation is polystyrene which isn't as good as thick spray foam. This created a damp spot of 'dead air' in and behind the bedding. After a few of months of living aboard through winter, I pulled out the bed linen and it was all mouldy. So a new storage space was needed. I now have a carefully thought out storage system where the condensationy areas are used for things which aren't affected by that.

Apologies for the invention of the word 'condensationy'.

Edited by Dave_P

You're just showing off now. When does the snooker table arrive?

Please never ever suggest this to my husband, I can see his eyes light up and hear his brain whirring to think up a way to manage it!

Isn't that a fairly easy one ... you put it on the roof .. ok you might need a tender to get around to play some shots .. and you might need to trim the legs a bit to get under bridges but with a 6ft ish wide roof it's a perfect fit

All possessions are just potential trauma and heartache for your children to have to deal with you die, they might even feel obliged to take on some of your trinkets as their own millstones. Only own things that your children will really want to inherit, tools and model railways and stuff like that!

..............Dave

Have you been talking to my dad?

Isn't that a fairly easy one ... you put it on the roof .. ok you might need a tender to get around to play some shots .. and you might need to trim the legs a bit to get under bridges but with a 6ft ish wide roof it's a perfect fit

You know my husband then??? This is almost certainly the kind of plan he would come up with if the idea was put in his head. Or some kind of folding contraption that hangs from the roof that can be lowered down to play.

• Greenie 1

You know my husband then??? This is almost certainly the kind of plan he would come up with if the idea was put in his head. Or some kind of folding contraption that hangs from the roof that can be lowered down to play.

That might be better ... with the suspending line properly arranged the table should stay fairly level .. are you sure its not you that is the mechanical genius?

All great ideas and of course I feel your commiserations....

Everyday I'm finding things that are now no longer needed, such as a spirit level, found this out when putting up a double and a single wall cabinet in the bathroom - what a useless piece of equipment that is now!

Can really identify the comment made about how a legacy can be a millstone for generations, my husband (and HE'S blaming me for hoarding) has brought on board a heirloom of a full Royal Doulton tea set left to him by an old aunt. I'm scared of using it, so it's packed away, taking up quality and precious space under the dining seat. This this will get packed off soon to his sisters, and I can't wait.

I've been ridiculed for bringing my mother's industrial sewing machine on board, complete with it's own walnut cabinet. This baby will sew through anything, so at least there's scope for that earning its place onboard.