Locks at Northampton

Tony Kelly

Featured Posts

Penacilin will clear that up won't it.

What on earth are the Hunsbury Scrotes please ?

Rog

Great name for a group

See map below. The locals were friendly when I was last there. Helped me through several locks on this stretch,

post-13477-0-27251400-1473100954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Greenie 1

Penacilin will clear that up won't it.

What on earth are the Hunsbury Scrotes please ?

Rog

Great name for a group

There has been the odd occasion when some have reported being intimidated by the yoofs off a local estate.

The worst I have seen is them hurling about on dirt bikes.

I guess my comments has more meaning for someone familiar with Northampton and probably isn't all that helpful - hangs head in shame etc.

The darlings at Billing are far worse company.... :)

As had already been said, No issues getting from the GU to Cambridge as long as you have an air draft of <2.0m or can achieve that by shifting plant pots solar panels etc

6'9 beam will be fine :)

There has been the odd occasion when some have reported being intimidated by the yoofs off a local estate.

The worst I have seen is them hurling about on dirt bikes.

I guess my comments has more meaning for someone familiar with Northampton and probably isn't all that helpful - hangs head in shame etc.

The darlings at Billing are far worse company.... :)

As had already been said, No issues getting from the GU to Cambridge as long as you have an air draft of <2.0m or can achieve that by shifting plant pots solar panels etc

Years ago my mother had a bit of a roof garden problem when we arrived at Upwell (or maybe Outwell or was it Outwhere?) Anyway the middle level commissioners were called and they duly lowered the water level . I thought this was rather good. My boat was OK to go under the bridge but she had too much plant growth about.

Just for information - don't know if they still do it this was late 90s.

Northampton is a hell hole. I nearly lost one of my magnets there when I got it caught on the brake lever of a vespa dumped in a lock. Wellingborough had a lake with cars in it.

Cambridge is probably better :lol:

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

6'9 beam will be fine :)

Years ago my mother had a bit of a roof garden problem when we arrived at Upwell (or maybe Outwell or was it Outwhere?) Anyway the middle level commissioners were called and they duly lowered the water level . I thought this was rather good. My boat was OK to go under the bridge but she had too much plant growth about.

Just for information - don't know if they still do it this was late 90s.

Northampton is a hell hole. I nearly lost one of my magnets there when I got it caught on the brake lever of a vespa dumped in a lock. Wellingborough had a lake with cars in it.

Cambridge is probably better :lol:

They don't anymore, they wouldn't drop the level so my friends could get their Fairline Carrera through, they turned back home abd ended up chopping the screen down to allow them to get through the following year.

I used to be very proud of my county town, sadly this is no longer the case :(

Wellingborough has always had issues, it's better now one of the Gypsy sites is gone, one of our club members who is a local councillors is trying hard to get the embankment improved and used more.

Cambridge by boat? Not for me I'm afraid. Head to St Ives, get the guided bus, job done as they say :)

I assuming we are not talking about a narrowboat here.

That's an interesting comment :)

50ft x 6ft9 sounds like a narrow boat but as you say possibly not a narrowboat. It could be a narrow Dutch barge style jobbie. I don't think there are any cruisers about that are that long and also narrow. I think its probably a narrowboat in the normal sense.

Happy as always to be corrected. I wonder if the 6'9 came from the canalplan boat list ?

It was all quiet at lock 16 both ways for us, but the guides do seem to have dire warnings.

As has been said there are low bridges on the Middle Levels, the lowest on the link route I believe is 1.96m at Upwell. Briggate bend is a non-event in a 50ft narrowboat.

The Northamptom arm is quite shallow.

I shouldn't think you'll have any problem with beam in the Northampton flight.

You might have a bit of a lack of water in the thick at the top, after lock 6 or so. CRT come out every morning to top up IIRC so if you're not confident about running water down it's probably worthwhile going down at about 11am or so.

Have you a mooring in Cambridge?

The boats dimensions did come from the canal plan boat list, is this reliable? On there it said that the draft is 0:55 metres, 1 foot 10 inches. How does this sound for getting through the Northampton locks. I'll worry about the various yoofs and scrotes when I get there.

The figures on the list are not reliable, particularly with draft. If it is a narrowboat then you will most likely be fine both with draft and air draft.

Wow, you wouldn't want to meet a boat coming the other way!

Taken slowly and with care there is room to pass 9'6" and 6'10" between the bend and the moorings at the leisure centre, it's not ideal, and thankfully I've only been in that position once.

No such hope in the trench before the bend going away from Stanground as per the start of the video, fortunately never met anyone there yet, plenty of time for it to happen though!

Edited by gazza

The boats dimensions did come from the canal plan boat list, is this reliable? On there it said that the draft is 0:55 metres, 1 foot 10 inches. How does this sound for getting through the Northampton locks. I'll worry about the various yoofs and scrotes when I get there.

We regularly take our boat, which is 2' 10" deep up and down the Northampton Arm without going aground.

It's in vastly better condition (depth and condition of locks) than it was two years ago.

Have never had scrote trouble. If you stay in Northampton overnight, £10 for a berth at the marina, with Wifi and power, is well worth it.

MP.

Thanks everyone, it is a narrow boat, but I'm not sure of the draft. I will find out prior to attempting this journey.

Don't worry too much, many many narrow boats have done it, including ex working boats fulbourne, president to name just two.

My top tip is just take your time, we go 2'6" now, reduced from 2'8"

Less power is more, through kings dyke up to the 20' I have barely any power on, we dont stir up much muck and rarely suffer with weed.

On the way home this year a narrow boat that would have floated on a damp flannel went passed in the opposite direction with so much power on I'm surprised they didn't go deaf! Leaving a trail of stirred up shite in their wake, they would have achieved the same not very great speed with much less power on.

The same goes for Marmonts Priory all the way to Salters Lode, knock the throttle back, keep the noise down and enjoy the wonderful fenland vista stretching out in front of you.

Edited by gazza

We regularly take our boat, which is 2' 10" deep up and down the Northampton Arm without going aground.

It's in vastly better condition (depth and condition of locks) than it was two years ago.

Have never had scrote trouble. If you stay in Northampton overnight, £10 for a berth at the marina, with Wifi and power, is well worth it.

MP.

It's rather good there isn't it!

We had a sneak preview in April 2011 before it was fully open. Northampton IWA had their rally at the same time as kate and wills tied the knot.

Think we paid a fiver a night, no services at the time but it was obvious it would be good when fully finished.

It's nice to see it pretty full, I always go and have a look when the car is in for a service on the Bedford Road.

Wow, you wouldn't want to meet a boat coming the other way!

You mean like a Foxes hire boat, were were nearly through, so it was not too bad passing though.

No problem in making good progress on the Middle Levels, and apart from the trip to Ramsey, no issue with weed.

Northamptom marina has the poshest marina office that I have seen! We got the licence from there on the way down and stayed overnight in the way back to get a early start up the arm before the rain on Saturday. Had a nice meal in Northampton as well.

Don't worry too much, many many narrow boats have done it, including ex working boats fulbourne, president to name just two.

My top tip is just take your time, we go 2'6" now, reduced from 2'8"

Less power is more, through kings dyke up to the 20' I have barely any power on, we dont stir up much muck and rarely suffer with weed.

On the way home this year a narrow boat that would have floated on a damp flannel went passed in the opposite direction with so much power on I'm surprised they didn't go deaf! Leaving a trail of stirred up shite in their wake, they would have achieved the same not very great speed with much less power on.

The same goes for Marmonts Priory all the way to Salters Lode, knock the throttle back, keep the noise down and enjoy the wonderful fenland vista stretching out in front of you.

That is very good advice, take note of it