What is suitable and what isn't....

matty40s

Featured Posts

We all love the variety and colours of boats on the canals, it is one of the things that makes us all want to be here.

However, is there a limit to what is acceptable, what is sensible, and what just shouldn't be on these waters??

Recently discussed has been the emergence of Porto K'abeen on the GU....

20160730_174519_zpsamtaliev.jpg

20160730_174548_zpsstoksmxx.jpg

Shipping containers are 8 feet wide, so it's 8 feet wide about 7 feet above the waterline? I wouldn't fancy it in Blisworth Tunnel but I bet it would fit down the K and A more readily than some wider, lower boats do

I do wonder if that outboard cann stop it in a hurry though

Overall, our canals were saved by people being enterprising about what to go boating in, whilst I've some misgivings about both boats you show I will say thank god people are being enterprising and innovative

Would make quite a nice place to grow some vegetables under artifical light with controlled environment - maybe some tomatoes or something. No windows needed as the whole thing would be controlled for maximum yield. At least tomatoes don't smell too bad.

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

Shipping containers are 8 feet wide, so it's 8 feet wide about 7 feet above the waterline? I wouldn't fancy it in Blisworth Tunnel but I bet it would fit down the K and A more readily than some wider, lower boats do

I do wonder if that outboard cann stop it in a hurry though

Overall, our canals were saved by people being enterprising about what to go boating in, whilst I've some misgivings about both boats you show I will say thank god people are being enterprising and innovative

Well it has certainly been through it. It is by no means a fully static thing, and we have seen it at a number of locations both sides of the tunnel.

This ship would have room for around 18,000 of them ... (Thames Gateway).

dscf7899.jpg

18,000 on one ship? Looking at the photo I'd have estimated 1,800 as a more likely figure.

I suppose you might get more on one of those bigger ships in the background though...

18,000 on one ship? Looking at the photo I'd have estimated 1,800 as a more likely figure.

I suppose you might get more on one of those bigger ships in the background though...

Sorry, you're right. It's the Astrid Shulte, capacity about 7,000 (details here).

The largest ship that has so far visited carries over 18,000 containers - video below from January.

I must admit I was focussing on the traffic coming downstream, and getting ready for our synchronised crossing of the river ... We also saw some of the massive cranes being delivered.

Sorry, you're right. It's the Astrid Shulte, capacity about 7,000 (details here).

The largest ship that has so far visited carries over 18,000 containers - video below from January.

I must admit I was focussing on the traffic coming downstream, and getting ready for our synchronised crossing of the river ... We also saw some of the massive cranes being delivered.

About 3500 (probably less than half, due to some of the TEUs squeezing into spaces etc) containers of the same kind as the boat in the OP is made from, because that looks like a 40ft container. Boat capacity is measured in TEUs, which is 20 foot equivalent units.

About 3500 (probably less than half, due to some of the TEUs squeezing into spaces etc) containers of the same kind as the boat in the OP is made from, because that looks like a 40ft container. Boat capacity is measured in TEUs, which is 20 foot equivalent units.

Ah yes, I do remember looking that up a while ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-foot_equivalent_unit We need a more sensible unit here eg elephants, or double decker buses perhaps....

A more sensible unit might be the "Forty Foot Equivalent Unit"?

FEU does get used in circumstances where the entire capacity can be used by forty foot containers, in many instances it can't be.

Twenty footers are still used for a variety of purposes, and whilst they are half the volume they can carry nearly as much weight as a forty foot or sixty foot container