Can i keep my computers?

MissMax

Featured Posts

Just a 'tip' - check your laptop voltage first. (Mine is 19v so a car converter won't work)

????

It is not hard to find converters that do 19v, (or it never used to be).

19.5v (which this computer is) is harder to find though.

Thank you RichM. I can keep both laptops (can't live with just one) and rehome my Imac smile.png and also look into solar power

OI you two chaps in the back. I didn't know it was going to be so blooming hot. I never thought i contained that much sweat.

Skips are expensive sad.png

I'm scratching my head why you need 2 laptops, doesn't it just make things more complicated ("its on the other laptop" etc)? What does one of the laptops do that the other can't, and vice versa?

When we moved onboard we took two desktop computers, the old style tower pcs. We found that the metal cases attracted condensation and a whole lot of dust from the burner. Now we're on solid state laptops, use far less power and much more robust.

I'll let you into a buildery secret. Once you've paid for the skip to be delivered, you can keep it as long as you like for no further charge!

You mean i didn't have to kill myself today doing my whole flat, then repacking the skip TWICE after those people who come looking for scrap metal.......The universe hates me :(

Thank you Lady Muck. My air has a ssd would that be ok (it's all metal though) But my Pro which i would use just for a backup laptop is one of those old fashioned spinny things (don't know the name sorry)

I'm scratching my head why you need 2 laptops, doesn't it just make things more complicated ("its on the other laptop" etc)? What does one of the laptops do that the other can't, and vice versa?

I always have a backup laptop. I also have 16 Terabytes of external harddrives that store most of my bits

You mean i didn't have to kill myself today doing my whole flat, then repacking the skip TWICE after those people who come looking for scrap metal.......The universe hates me sad.png

Never mind. We all love you! Bugger the universe. It kno NOTHING.

Thank you Lady Muck. My air has a ssd would that be ok (it's all metal though) But my Pro which i would use just for a backup laptop is one of those old fashioned spinny things (don't know the name sorry)

Disco drive?

I do not see why the number of computers is an issue apart from storage space. I can not see more than one or possibly two being in use at one time. What is/maybe an issue is putting somewhat more electricity back into the batteries than the computer(s) plus the other equipment has taken out.

If you are saying you watch TV over the internet on one I think that you had better look into the cost of mobile broadband. A TV, aerial and amplifier may be cheaper.

You really need to start doing power audits and charging calculations before you go too far so, as more than one person has said, you get a boat with a system that can cope with your demands - or more likely make your demands fit within the capabilities of the electrical system

^^^This^^^

In my experience data allowances severely limit any TV program watching on a lappy. As does the drain on yer domestic batteries.

Few boats come with adequate charging technology to keep up with substantial laptop useage. Think about this carefully and plan it out properly or it will end in tears...

I prefer radio 4 extra and Audible books instead of TV and the net i just browse, but i can cut back on that. I haven't owned a TV in over ten years blush.png

Net browsing uses bugger all data compared to moving images and sound together.

And broadly speaking, the larger and the brighter the screen you have on a lappy, the more juice it gobbles.

(I find the best way of economising on power is to use this stupidly small netbook or turn it orf and play my geetar.)

I always have a backup laptop. I also have 16 Terabytes of external harddrives that store most of my bits

Worth remembering that hard drives will also draw power either from the laptop batteries if they are usb, or on their own if they are powered.

I have been thinking about this too and have come to the conclusion that a few gadgets will have to go and mobile stuff is the way forward.

Tablet for media and surfing (daily)

Chromebook for typing and working with text (couple of times a week),

Linux laptop for playing with graphics and video (rarely)

Thinking about when they are charged is the way forward and how much use they get.

The Tablet uses the least power, the chromebook does not use a huge amount and seems to last almost 10 hours on a charge and the laptop, well it's a laptop.

I have found looking into power use on a boat absolutely fascinating.

What I worry about is finding enough time to get a good long run in everyday with so many regular boaty maintenance jobs to do.

• Greenie 1

What I worry about is finding enough time to get a good long run in everyday with so many regular boaty maintenance jobs to do.

Get solar, you won't regret it.

I have found looking into power use on a boat absolutely fascinating.

I think you're gonna get on GRATE as a boater.. You understand the issues right from the getgo...

Get solar, you won't regret it.

Except that for 4 months of the year solar does feck all...

Just a 'tip' - check your laptop voltage first. (Mine is 19v so a car converter won't work)

Alan, I have used this for a compaq, @ 19V

Both me and Mrs R work from the boat - which means a Thinkpad (none of yer Macs) running about 10 hours or more a day. Plus movies in the evenings. We achieve this with a 150W solar panel, and 450 amp hours of batteries. We alternate charging of the computers.

Modern laptops use less power than they used too? (more efficient, and SSD etc.) I work with a dual display, so often run an LED monitor too. I have one that runs on a native 12V, and which has a useful function of allowing the user to change lighting mode (from reading to multimedia) . Keep your laptop screen dimmed in the evenings, or consider an app like Lux.

We get broadband speeds even in the sticks with a Huwawei router and a directional antenna.

Three currently provide 20GB of data for £23 a month...and they currently have a half price offer for your first 6 months.

Edited by Rendelf

one thing that may be worth noting is that for streaming stuff (iplayer or other sources) you don't have to use a laptop, you can use some android phones plugged into a tv with hdmi sockets.

also as it is being watched on the phone (even though the phone now has an extra screen) it doesn't count against any tethered usage

Why?

Simply because whilst a solar installation may not be as productive in Winter overall that is not the same as saying they do 'f' all as you delicately put it.

There will be days were they will produce some electricity within those four months you refer to.

Thank you RichM. I can keep both laptops (can't live with just one) and rehome my Imac smile.png and also look into solar power

OI you two chaps in the back. I didn't know it was going to be so blooming hot. I never thought i contained that much sweat.

Skips are expensive sad.png

Keep your imac and run it via a cheap or expensive inverter. You can have whatever you want, as long as you can produce the power to run it all. I have 2 TVs, 2 Laptops, 3 mobile phones, 2 tablets, TV soundbar, car radio, lawnmower, strimmer... the list goes on.

4 x Trojan T105 batteries with a nominal 450Ah at 12V. Honda Eu20i generator. 2500w inverter charger. 300W inverter.

Huawei mifi with EE data sim 50Gb per month.

Simply because whilst a solar installation may not be as productive in Winter overall that is not the same as saying they do 'f' all as you delicately put it.

There will be days were they will produce some electricity within those four months you refer to.

Let me guess. You didn't have solar on your boat did you?

Let me guess. You didn't have solar on your boat did you?

No I didn't but I sure wish we had.

But what has that got to do with anything?

Solar is widely regarded as a reliable way of producing electricity on a boat without the need to run the engine and hence is a sensible consideration if you don't want to either move your boat to generate it or run the engine whilst stationary, this being the point I was addressing.

Edited by MJG

What he said.

What he said.

We have a puny little panel on the roof of our caravan and even in winter it produces enough to keep on top of the alarm whilst the 'van is stored but importantly also means their is enough juice in the leisure battery to power the mover when we pull the 'van out to use it.

To suggest solar does nothing in those four months is simply nonsense.

Running all three puters is possible plus other stuff but as others have said you have to put the energy in before you can get it out. You need to do an audit of all your power requirements, puters, microwave, juicer, Kobe charging, electric kettle etc and the work out what you need to generate the power required to run each of the for a given time each day.

Having said that my experience of living on the cut (for six months at a time in summer) is that many of the land based things you take for granted become unimportant. Watch the telly? No, let's watch the sunset, then the bats flying round the boat. Watch Orange is the New Black? No, let's make sure the fridge has chilled my wine, or beer. Shall I post my status on Facebook? No, I think I'll go and empty the PortaPotti. Shall I watch the weather forecast on Sky? No, I'll look out of the window in the morning.

Honestly, if you want to keep all these trappings of land based life you might as well buy a "Fat Narrowboat" and moor it in Milton Keynes, on a Continous Cruiser licence.

I look forward to all contrary opinions with anticipation because I've gone over to the dark side and bought a lumpy water boat, forced to 'cos canals are few and far between here in Tenerife.

We have a puny little panel on the roof of our caravan and even in winter it produces enough to keep on top of the alarm whilst the 'van is stored but importantly also means their is enough juice in the leisure battery to power the mover when we pull the 'van out to use it.

To suggest solar does nothing in those four months is simply nonsense.

Yep. During winter months we had to be careful with our power usage and had to run the engine when we weren't moving, which we didn't have to do during the summer months, but there's no doubt that the solar we still got was a welcome supplement.

Running all three puters is possible plus other stuff but as others have said you have to put the energy in before you can get it out. You need to do an audit of all your power requirements, puters, microwave, juicer, Kobe charging, electric kettle etc and the work out what you need to generate the power required to run each of the for a given time each day.

Having said that my experience of living on the cut (for six months at a time in summer) is that many of the land based things you take for granted become unimportant. Watch the telly? No, let's watch the sunset, then the bats flying round the boat. Watch Orange is the New Black? No, let's make sure the fridge has chilled my wine, or beer. Shall I post my status on Facebook? No, I think I'll go and empty the PortaPotti. Shall I watch the weather forecast on Sky? No, I'll look out of the window in the morning.

Honestly, if you want to keep all these trappings of land based life you might as well buy a "Fat Narrowboat" and moor it in Milton Keynes, on a Continous Cruiser licence.

I look forward to all contrary opinions with anticipation because I've gone over to the dark side and bought a lumpy water boat, forced to 'cos canals are few and far between here in Tenerife.

If I'd only lived on the cut for six months at a time in the summer this ethos would have suited me down to the ground :)

To MissMax try to work with 12v as much as you can. When we first moved aboard I had a laptop and plugged it into an inverter. One of my early threads on here was "my inverter shrieks and wails" or somesuch. The wonderful advice I gained led us to resiting the inverter next to the batteries, even though it meant me running the length of the boat when I wanted to turn it on or off (believe me convenience goes entirely out of the window when you move aboard!)

The other one was try to make it work on 12v if you can. Maplins were our friend - you can buy a gizmo that ramps up 12v to 19v which is what most laptops need. Suddenly I could keep my lappy working late at night, and relocation of the inverter meant we had a bit of Tv. Living aboard all year doesn't mean you have to live in the stone age :)