Poor Mooring

New to this

Featured Posts

To my newbie eyes, it defo looks like the boat was first and then the earth cooled and the seas turned to rivers hence the bridge being built afterwards

You chaps have to bare in mind that everyone and everything was shorter in Noah's days, so two elephants,tigers and Man U supporters could actually fit inside a narrow boat back then.

Official Internet fact (starting from today)

Yes very good. I can see you're fitting in well here despite your 'newbosity'...

(The korrect word for 'newbiness'.)

I believe that our Max hails from Brum. You have to have a sense of humour to live there.

(...and before you ask, yes I did!)

Agreed. The accent cracks me up too. In particular that people can talk in it, whilst keeping a straight face biggrin.pngninja.gif

(Speeling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I think his name is actually Mr. This, though his friends call him Newto. Like that old pop singer Nosmo King, y'know.

Yes, some people's unerring accuracy in mooring on the only sharp blind bend within three miles sometimes astounds me.

Nosmo King was a Comedian,IIRC,in the days of Music Hall,and not a Pop Singer

CT

To my newbie eyes, it defo looks like the boat was first and then the earth cooled and the seas turned to rivers hence the bridge being built afterwards

You chaps have to bare in mind that everyone and everything was shorter in Noah's days, so two elephants,tigers and Man U supporters could actually fit inside a narrow boat back then.

Official Internet fact (starting from today)

I always do that when I meet a young lady. (I hope Athy is right about you having a sense of humour.)

• Greenie 1

I don't like tunnels, but coax myself through the shorter ones by thinking of them as "long bridges". I suspect that some motorway bridges across the canal are longer/ wider than some official tunnels.

Is that a tunnel?

Looks to me like a wide bridge.

It used to be much longer but MJG brought along the word foreshortening so now its tiny.

although its actually because when they were building it, it was planned longer but they kept finding faults in the rock and had to keep taking the roof away until it ended up like it is.

It used to be much longer but MJG brought along the word foreshortening so now its tiny.

although its actually because when they were building it, it was planned longer but they kept finding faults in the rock and had to keep taking the roof away until it ended up like it is.

Not as much as Fenny Compton Tunnel on the southern Oxford. They took away ALL of the roof eventually, and now it's just a mile-long unnaturally narrow bit.

Nosmo King was a Comedian,IIRC,in the days of Music Hall,and not a Pop Singer

CT

Along similar lines, I liked the TV character Max Headroom. Disturbing to watch and difficult to turn OFF!

Not as much as Fenny Compton Tunnel on the southern Oxford. They took away ALL of the roof eventually, and now it's just a mile-long unnaturally narrow bit.

Likewise Armitage Tunnel, which has the added attraction that it's bent so that you can't see if anyone is coming the other way before you enter it (it's single-track).

Fenny "tunnel" on a misty morning is very sp-o-o-o-ky.

I have been through Dunsley tunnel twice this week, once in each direction.

The moored boat caused me no problem.

My boat is 55 ft. A full length boat may have more of an issue, but I really don't think so.

To be honest, the depth of the canal from Aldersley down to Stourport is much more of a problem. Nobody will be travelling very fast.

Rog

(In fairness they are dredging at present)

Note to self

Put the names of everyone who called me a Brummie into my 'Notebook of Revenge'. Bunch of cheeky young tykes

Mistake. Canalworld is the one place I take being called a Brummie as a badge of honour. As a midlander you are a higher being who is steeped in the ways and language of proper canals by birth.

I hope that the use of the word 'tykes' doesn't mean you are a Yorkshireman (correct cross-gender term).

JP

Note to self

Put the names of everyone who called me a Brummie into my 'Notebook of Revenge'. Bunch of cheeky young tykes

The brummie accent in a female is sublimely attractive in a female in my personal opinion. Just sayin', in case I omitted to mention this earlier...

My mum and dad used to call me a little tyke, and them wuz both Lununners through an through.

(Please ignore the reduncancy in my first paragraph. I only did it to irritate Athy ;) )

Born in Derby Lurked in Manchester then London, Coventry, Herne Bay and some how (Darn you Babycham) ended up in Birmingham for the past six years.

I'm basically a Heinz 57 :blush:

So it's Derby is it, me duck. I was born and raised in Coventry so really I don't want to be called a Brummie.

The brummie accent in a female is sublimely attractive in a female in my personal opinion.

My wife is a Brummie but I can't say her accent is amongst her best features.

Is that in the same vein as "Solihull akshooloy"

...or "Hove, actually"?

Probably not - Coventry is not a place to which many people aspire. Good transport museum, mind, and the new cathedral is probably magnificent inside, but as they wanted six quid each to let us in, we didn't find out.

Is that in the same vein as "Solihull akshooloy"

If you mean a bit pretentious then no. I presume you have been to Coventry! It's a point of annoyance when folk think that Coventrians will have the same accent as Brummies.

I don't take the fact my wife was born in Sutton Coldfield to make her any less of a Brummie either.

JP