Engines off at 8pm - is it a rule?

starman

Featured Posts

I run my genie after 8 regular but it is silent and cant be heard from a boat next door. I think its all about thinking of others which is why I bought what I did. My engine is silent as well same thing trying to be fair to others.

Is this wishful thinking. How do you get your genie back in the bottle? :)

Edited to add the missing smiley

Edited by cuthound

Point of Order M'Lud...

As the awkward squad here are fond of pointing out, CRT are legally obliged to issue a licence even if you refuse to agree to their terms and conditions. (Subject to you having a BSS, insurance and making the declaration HMer or CCer.)

And worse, if you fail to abide by their T&Cs, there is nothing they can do to enforce them.

(Spelling edit.)

But for the awkward squad pointing such things out to people , your ignorance would be bliss.?

Another point to make is that 8pm rule is a bit odd as in winter 8pm is pitch black darkness when at thias time of year it's broad daylight.

I guess its aimed at the average working day ie don't run the engine at times when people are likely to be relaxing and winding down for the evening.

Common courtesy is becoming less common, sadly.

That's a fact.

But when you apply for a licence (just above your signature) it states :

I confirm that I have read, understood and accept the licence terms and conditions and that the information I have given on this form is correct.

You have no reason to claim ignorance that T&Cs exist, and. if you sign your application then you are informing C&RT that you have read them.

Ignorance is no defence.

Exactly right! The awkward squad can debate the finer points of law if they wish but you are quite right about ignorance being no defence.

Howard

What about the exhaust fumes?

it hasn't happened to me, but friends have been moored near to boats running gennies or engines and it has set the carbon monoxide alarms off on their boats. My partner complains he can smell exhaust fumes even when boats are moored across the river from us.

Doesn't common sense and respect prevail here regardless of specific times?

If you moor up next to others who are sitting outside enjoying the sun and a beer, then start up a noisy, smokey generator, surely that's just inconsiderate. Other newspapers are available by the way.

If you moor up next to others who are sitting outside enjoying the sun and a beer, then start up a noisy, smokey generator, surely that's just inconsiderate. Other newspapers are available by the way.

I believe that would be inconsiderate, regardless of any by laws. We use a genny which is not smokey or noisy (though our diesel engine is), but we always try to moor away from others. Easier with solar these days, but we still use the gennie a bit.

But make sure when you do leave you do so at 05:30 am, very close to her/his boat, and having to rev your engine loudly.

I'm with you on this. Let the miscreant know you are not ok with what they are doing, and that it is against the ts&cs of the license, and once they ignore you, get up early and annoy them. But make sure they are going the opposite direction to you, obviously.

Welcome to the forum alycidon55. Another railway fan I am guessing?

You may very well think common sense applies but on here you have know your rights. And then you have to know your T&Cs. And you have to argue about what's enforceable and then about whether or not the law is an ass.

That's all tongue in cheek but if you stick around you will get what I mean and this is a good place really.

If you go about your business on here with the attitude you have in your opening post you will do fine.

Jon

Welcome to the forum alycidon55. Another railway fan I am guessing?

You may very well think common sense applies but on here you have know your rights. And then you have to know your T&Cs. And you have to argue about what's enforceable and then about whether or not the law is an ass.

That's all tongue in cheek but if you stick around you will get what I mean and this is a good place really.

If you go about your business on here with the attitude you have in your opening post you will do fine.

Jon

Seconded :)