Cyclists Rant

harleyj

Featured Posts

'Mountain bikes don't do any damage'

They do according to this magazine:

Backpacker magazine 'Mountain Bikes - the gnarly question of knobbly tires' January 1987

Google 'bike or footsteps do more damage' and a google books link should come up

According to the owner of the company that build mongoose bikes, Bikes do more damage than walkers.

1. Whoever said that was obviously living in a dreamland - is it a comment on here I've missed? Or did you just randomly decide to pluck it from elsewhere?

2. Earlier I found MBR article stating that bikes are equal to foot traffic in terms of erosion, but it's obviously biased so I didn't bother with it.

3. I believe you

4. He clearly has a brain, however that's a fairly generic statement. What about fatbikes with slicks on vs. a roadie with > 120 psi vs. mtb on semi slicks vs. xc bike vs. rambler with poles vs. gran out for a walk with gran kid running around vs. man in a hurry walking to work etc etc - all I'm saying is that on a towpath the erosion argument is way more borderline than the downhill mtb track vs walking track.

Still ranting folks?

I may have to settle this argument once and for all by 'turnin up wi me oss' because you're all wrong about about who owns the towpath.

In essence walkers and cyclists are all modern interlopers. Of course someone had to lead the horse but cycling on the towpath also has a place in the history of canals as working boat crews lock wheeled flights.

Society moves on and custom and practice goes with it. It's a shared space - until the 'oss turns up.

JP

I agree with this, those "bloody big dogs" (as I assume my dog views them) defo have right of way.

As I keep saying acceptance will come, slowly as the boating demographic tends to be fairly wrinkly. And as the EU opinion poll showed, wrinklies don't want the younger lot to have their way - insert provoking winking smiley here

Of course acceptance will come and it will be very slowly unless there are fewer cases where walkers etc are injured/insulted/worried etc by cyclists

Agreed, though I suspect, as with faults on cars, the internet makes it seem worse than it is. How often does someone like the thread start here come on line and say "I was passed by a biker today, he gave me a wide berth and said good morning, it was a thoroughly untroubling and pleasant experience. I'm glad he is out enjoying our mutual shared space next to this man made long thin muddy ditch with water in it"

I once ducked on some grass to get by some boaters who were stood in the middle of the towpath chatting, saw me coming but chose not to move. So I happily rode onto the grass and half through a bush (not exaggerating) to carry on by, as I passed I said hello cheerfully and one of the 4 said the the other two "it's ok he's a boater"! They all responded cheerfully after me, but I can't imagine they regaled their tales of a polite rider that moved way way over because they chose to not move. Doing my bit for the cause ain't I!!!!

What if I'm a qualified engineer though...?

assuming your qualification is mechanical or civil, then you will know better than to state that walkers do more damage than bikers. cool.png

I am (or was) one of the rouge bikers you refer to (though not in lycra).

clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

1. Whoever said that was obviously living in a dreamland - is it a comment on here I've missed? Or did you just randomly decide to pluck it from elsewhere?

2. Earlier I found MBR article stating that bikes are equal to foot traffic in terms of erosion, but it's obviously biased so I didn't bother with it.

3. I believe you

4. He clearly has a brain, however that's a fairly generic statement. What about fatbikes with slicks on vs. a roadie with > 120 psi vs. mtb on semi slicks vs. xc bike vs. rambler with poles vs. gran out for a walk with gran kid running around vs. man in a hurry walking to work etc etc - all I'm saying is that on a towpath the erosion argument is way more borderline than the downhill mtb track vs walking track.

I agree with this, those "bloody big dogs" (as I assume my dog views them) defo have right of way.

As I keep saying acceptance will come, slowly as the boating demographic tends to be fairly wrinkly. And as the EU opinion poll showed, wrinklies don't want the younger lot to have their way - insert provoking winking smiley here

A randomly plucked article from elsewhere that is one perspective of many. I assume you have read it? I though it was pretty well balanced to be honest!

Still ranting folks?

I may have to settle this argument once and for all by 'turnin up wi me oss' because you're all wrong about about who owns the towpath.

In essence walkers and cyclists are all modern interlopers. Of course someone had to lead the horse but cycling on the towpath also has a place in the history of canals as working boat crews lock wheeled flights.

Society moves on and custom and practice goes with it. It's a shared space - until the 'oss turns up.

JP

Interestingly your comment reminded of what was probably the most terrifying incident I've experienced on the towpath at the bottom of the Delph Flight. Some guy on his horse trotted onto the towpath from the road that crosses below the bottom lock and then dug his spurs in and galloped at full tilt along the towpath towards me! As a threat to my person it beats anything a cyclist (or even for that matter what a motorcyclist) is capable of. If you don't believe me, try standing within 6 feet of a galloping horse as it passes by and you will see why they are used for riot controlsad.png

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Interestingly your comment reminded of what was probably the most terrifying incident I've experienced on the towpath at the bottom of the Delph Flight. Some guy on his horse trotted onto the towpath from the road that crosses below the bottom lock and then dug his spurs in and galloped at full tilt along the towpath towards me! As a threat to my person it beats anything a cyclist (or even for that matter what a motorcyclist) is capable of. If you don't believe me, try standing within 6 feet of a galloping horse as it passes by and you will see why they are used for riot controlsad.png

was the rider wearing lycra? rolleyes.gif

I used to cycle with a group in the days we wore colourful polyester or wool rather than lycra. On one of our regular haunts ladies used to exercise their nags, which included former racehorses. One of the horses would take off as we passed and was barely in control of the rider. When it was eventually subdued the rider claimed the oss thought we were jockeys and was back racing.

(snip)

. As I've said the rolling action is less abrasive than the stepping action. If you think about it, dynamically is where it's crucial.

But it's not a pure rolling action, is it? As you say, dynamically is where it's crucial!

Iain

Having been on the canals, hiring for the last ten years and now a very proud owner of our own narrowboat , I feel that I am entitled to my first official rant!

Well here it it is, if some of the lycra mafia don't start to slow down around me and "the boss" and abide by the signs(ring their bell & give way) we will be feigning deafness & blindness and staying in the middle of the towpath and may accidently trip and nock one the clowns into the canal. They have taken over the towpath it's time to fight back.

A good sprinkling of hawthorn cuttings would suffice but may injure dogs paws and as dogs are of more use than cyclists its not a good idea but such a shame.

Tim

So we still have folks wishing cyclists harm. How dreary.

It's simple; every tow path user should show respect and consideration for other users.

Cycling on the tow path is here to stay.

Walkers should step to one side when a cyclist approaches.

Cyclists pay for tow path maintenance.

Folk should not post on here wishing harm to others.

• Greenie 2

It's a shame you don't share the sentiment...https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/our-towpath-code

your reference - I quote: Drop your pacepedestrians have priority on our towpaths so be ready to slow down; if you’re in a hurry, consider using an alternative route for your journey.

From where do you derive the principle that pedestrians should step aside for cyclists?

your reference - I quote: Drop your pacepedestrians have priority on our towpaths so be ready to slow down; if you’re in a hurry, consider using an alternative route for your journey.

From where do you derive the principle that pedestrians should step aside for cyclists?

Probably from much the same sentiment that slow moving boats should move aside to allow faster moving boats to pass, or would you prefer that I chugged along at 1mph in the centre of the canal and intentionally prevent anyone from passing?unsure.png

From the link, obviously.

As cyclists they don't pay anything for towpath maintenance, only as general taxpayers, in the same way as every non towpath-cycling taxpayer.

So cyclists do pay for towpath maintenance. As do plumbers, the clergy, flat-earthists and a dwindling proportion of high net-worth individuals.

Unless of course they subscribe to the charity Sustrans who do pay for towpath upgrades and maintenancerolleyes.gif

Well not really.

Sustrans Annual Review for 2014-15 shows that of Sustrans total expenditure of £43.7m, just over half, £23.7m, was spent on creating and maintaining routes for people to walk and cycle more. However, more than 90% of their income was provided by central and local government and lottery funding. Their own fund raising produced £3.9m but more than half of this sum was spent on fundraising and governance, so the net money raised from members and supporters was less than 5% of their turnover.

With the bulk of the funding coming from central and local government, most of the cost of towpath upgrades is indeed met by the taxpayer, rather than cyclists specifically.