Hello everyone

Tuttifruity

Featured Posts

I've gone and done it and bought Misty Blue, my first boat! Not wanting to do things by half, I bought it from a chap in London by Little Venice and then had to get to the Macclesfield canal after hiring a boat for a week! Had to borrow a friend who'd been on one before. It involved the Grand Union, Oxford, Coventry and Trent and Mersey before hitting the Macclesfield canal, and took exactly 2 weeks. Fortunately the on board shower worked well, as the only showers we passed were at Bosley Locks and they were broke!

Talking of locks, we must have gone through about 160 of the blighters, the worst being the big double gated locks down south.

Two things became apparent fairly early on that a surveyor couldn't see, one was the stern gland letting water in so a lot of grease was used getting home, and the engine electrics packing up at Bosley Locks due to a bundle of wires melting together as they were stuffed under the hot engine! We couldn't turn the engine off even using the emergency stop, so had to turn off the diesel feed. Fortunately a friend didn't live far away and turned up with a load of electrical repair stuff and managed to cobble the wiring together again, and we got back. The joys of boating!

Welcome! What a coincidence, I have just this minute been writing a postcard which has a photo on it of Little Richard - who sang 'Tutti Frutti', though he did not spell it quite as you do. Sounds as if you have had quite a watery baptism - and how refreshing to hear of a boat being bought in London and taken further North - most of the traffic recently has been in the other direction.

Keep us informed of your onboard adventures.

Thanks maties, I was amazed at how many wide beams there are down there, and also how many neglected boats there are, some haven't moved for eons. By the way, can anyone recommend a decent boat yard that does blacking near the Macclesfield canal?

I am feeling a lightweight now - we brought my boat back from Sawley Marina and only had 77 locks and we did the journey in 6 days as I had to be back in time to start a new job. I found 32 locks in one day really hard so well done for for your achievement! Welcome to the group, I have found people to be very helpful and have learnt a lot from them.

Yours may be an exception, but it's generally said that boats for sale in London are at higher prices than similar boats in the north, and that for this reason many people buying their first boat will want to do a long move north to south. A long move can seem a bit daunting for a new owner, but if you have the time and some help and the boat is up to it, it's generally cheaper and more fun than craning in and out and using a lorry. Anyway, I think you found the right approach for your trip: "Had to borrow a friend who'd been on one before"

Red Bull Services at the bottom end did ours last but one time. Let us know if they are still active!

BTW welcome! Our maiden voyage 8 years ago was Slough to Macclesfield. We did it in four long weekends (and it was over 200 locks)!

Someone else recommended them the other week