Rights to stay onboard in floods

blackrose

Featured Posts

OK Claude, my question was in response to Blackrose #1. but as you have been good enough to chip in, I ask how do the other moorers know EA want you to leave - or if you did not speak to other moorers - how would you know?.

Because that's what happened to my neighbours in the past.

Me and my wife have our own accounts and both access from the same broadband connection therefore two accounts coming from the same IP address and not a doppel. I'm sure many others do the same.

Well, as I explained to the moderators a few weeks ago when they spotted it and put it in moderation, Claude was actually set up by another person (girlfriend) not me, but I have used it since then.

Dunno, it has no bearing on Mike's original question.

He is moored on the Nene, at, as far as I can gather Cogenhoe Mill which is run by Billing Marina, when there is a big flood advised by the EA Billing evacuate both sites.

Mike appears to want to stay on his boat even if he has been asked to leave.

The person he should ask is the Marina manager.

Yes, the only time I've ever worried about my boat in a flood is when I haven't been on it.

Since it is possible there is only one contributing to this topic (two including me) will that person (any doppel ID will do) please answer my question - how do you know the EA want you to leave ? .

If information came by talking to other moorers, then that prompts a second question - how do they know.?

Because they've been told to leave their boats before when the water level came close to going just over the bank. Easily manageable with a pair of wellies.

To DROWN - that's my flippant answer.

How do you know EA have asked you to leave?- lots of replies from lots of doppels. I am none the wiser and regretfully do not have time to read all Gazza posts - I would like to but I have got a boat to paint.

Since you seem unable or unwilling to read Gazza's posts I'm not sure what more I can do to get you to understand that people here are moved off their boats when the risk of flooding is imminent. Although from what I can make out from EA data the highest recorded level has only ever been up to the level of the river bank at Cogenhoe mil stream.

I'm confused, has Blackrose asked Claude to evacuate the forum? Or has EA registered a second account on here? Are there any examples of Claude arguing with Blackrose (it might prove things conclusively, Blackrose used to disagree a lot and get muddled up)?

As far as I know, nobody but the police can force you to evacuate your own home but you'd be a bit of an idiot to hang around against reasoned advice, especially when they have information you don't.

I agree except that the advice from the EA in the past doesn't seem reasoned. I've just come off the Avon where we saw rises of 8ft in 48 hours. We were never advised or required to move off, so I'm just wondering why there seems to be an issue on the Nene? That seems like a reasonable question to me. Those who don't think so are under no obligation to reply.

That's one way of looking at it :)

I have a very good hunch the management at Billing would take a very dim view of anyone not heading their request to leave.

Yes, I think you're probably right. They probably couldn't force you off your boat in a flood because the boat is the owners/skippers responsibility, but the bottom line is that as soon as the floods subside they could kick you off their mooring or refuse to renew the contract when it expires.

Just to say that judging by the way some of you have reacted on this thread I've obviously made a major internet fopa.

I live in the real world rather than the virtual one. I couldn't get into my account and my girlfriend set up an account on her email address which she and I both used. It's really no big deal to me but I don't take the internet as seriously or personally some of you seem to.

Anyway, no offence was intended and if anyone in the area fancies a beer in the real world then you'll find I'm actually quite a nice bloke.

Since it is possible there is only one contributing to this topic (two including me) will that person (any doppel ID will do) please answer my question - how do you know the EA want you to leave ? .

If information came by talking to other moorers, then that prompts a second question - how do they know.?

They heard it down the pub captain.gif

Yes, I think you're probably right. They probably couldn't force you off your boat in a flood because the boat is the owners/skippers responsibility, but the bottom line is that as soon as the floods subside they could kick you off their mooring or refuse to renew the contract when it expires.

Just to finally add Mike that, even the Police would have no power to remove you from the boat.

They can advise you to evac.

I been to many incidents, Bomb threats, Suspect Vehicles, LPG cylinder fires and such and when we have been told to evac houses and streets, there is always someone who refuses to go and they always get to stay at home and enjoy their home comforts while the rest of the street sit on benches in a local hall waiting to be allowed home.

Just to finally add Mike that, even the Police would have no power to remove you from the boat.

They can advise you to evac.

I been to many incidents, Bomb threats, Suspect Vehicles, LPG cylinder fires and such and when we have been told to evac houses and streets, there is always someone who refuses to go and they always get to stay at home and enjoy their home comforts while the rest of the street sit on benches in a local hall waiting to be allowed home.

Great, if the threat passes with no incident.

What if the stubborn householder wants to stay against evacuation advice, the situation worsens then do fall into genuine danger and want/need rescuing in a much more dangerous and difficult situation, just when the emergency services are stretched with genuine issues?

Great, if the threat passes with no incident.

What if the stubborn householder wants to stay against evacuation advice, the situation worsens then do fall into genuine danger and want/need rescuing in a much more dangerous and difficult situation, just when the emergency services are stretched with genuine issues?

In this day and age, how will it look for the Police removing a person against their will from their own home, They are in their right to not go without a fight so they get nicked for breach of the peace or something.

Im not saying theres a right or wrong, just that people are allowed to make their own minds up in their own property.

We can only advise them of the danger of staying put. If they choose to risk their life, that is their prerogative.

How far do we go before stepping in? Before that person heads up a mountain to do some hiking?

If I were somewhere that were safe other than the water levels, I'd probably try and stay- e.g. if in a marina, offline from the river, with no flow but a high water level. Drop the anchor and wait it out in a wider area.

If on the river itself in spate, I'd probably get the boat as secure as possible, e.g. put the anchor out a way in front so the mooring lines can be loosened, and let it take its chances.

I wonder how the insurance company would view a claim, where the claimant had ignored an official request to abandon his boat?

I doubt they will pay him if he drowns

Richard

A herd of cows!

A flock of sheep!

A school of wales

A fleet of ships,

It seems now we have lots of Doppels - would the collective name be a 'FLOOD of Doppels' or maybe a 'DECEIT of Doppels'

PS: I used a doppel once. I had a particular problem of great concern to me and I used a discussion forum to seek help, where I had to provide factual information about a live committee that I served on, where I suspected improper procedures and practices, where to spell out my case, the detail would be enough for a forensic investigator to work out the actual committee - and my identity - leaving me open claims of libel.

So I used a doppel.

Back to the topic. How do you know the EA want you to leave?

I think it should be a GANG of doppels