At a lock today...

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I was going down, single handed. Cruiser on the way up, bloke with windlass in hand, woman steering the boat. They'd just arrived so I took the opportunity to tie to a bollard and make a cup of tea. Brew made, they were coming out of the lock so I untied and started to move forward slowly.

All good so far?

The bloke with the windlass then closes the lock gate. I had to reverse a little to tie up again. I told him as he walked past that he could have left the gate open. Tried to say it in a friendly manner. His response: "you could have helped me with the lock, mate"

Was I out of order at all, should I always look to help people, even when they don't need help?

I was going down, single handed. Cruiser on the way up, bloke with windlass in hand, woman steering the boat. They'd just arrived so I took the opportunity to tie to a bollard and make a cup of tea. Brew made, they were coming out of the lock so I untied and started to move forward slowly.

All good so far?

The bloke with the windlass then closes the lock gate. I had to reverse a little to tie up again. I told him as he walked past that he could have left the gate open. Tried to say it in a friendly manner. His response: "you could have helped me with the lock, mate"

Was I out of order at all, should I always look to help people, even when they don't need help?

I have often wanted to do that

No. If he had closed the gate on me I wouldn't have been very friendly. I would never close the gate on anyone - its just not done.

(and I always assume that if a boat has one person on it and no-one is coming / has come from the next lock that it is being operated single handed - so will help where possible)

Edited by Tiggs

All good so far?

I would have asked if he needed any help or did he want a cuppa.

I thought that was what this boating malarkey was all about.....

It's interesting (and gratifying for you) that he went to extra effort just to make a point, when the easiest thing to do would have been to leave the gate for you.

Some people find it a little annoying to work locks whilst a boat is waiting and not helping, personally I couldn't care less - helping others is optional. However it is always worth bearing in mind that a little random kindness (eg winding a paddle for a following boat) is far more pleasurable and rewarding than just doing the minimum - although many folk have yet to realise this!

Of course the difference between you and him is that he can chug off whilst his missus makes him a cup of tea, whereas you have to tie up to do it.

So overall IMO you didn't do anything wrong, he was an arse. Such a self-righteous <expletive> that he would go out of his way, involving physical effort, just to make his point. Amusingly he thought he was making the point that you were the bad person and him the good one, which of course totally backfired to any causal observer, as it always does for self-righteous people.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

My thoughts.

If I was the chap with the windlass, I wouldn't have shut the gate on you,but I would have thought you could have offered to help with the lock. Upon realising you were on your own I may well have shut the gate for you once you were in the lock.

I should maybe have pointed out that although I've lived on my boat for nearly 3 years, I've only been through 50 or so locks. Many of them in the winter when there was no one around.

The next time I'll ask if I can help.

You could have offered to help...he could have left the gate open. I am forever suprised at the little things that people get worked up over.

Ian.

Indeed,

But one who has helped many a single hander go through locks...

Don't really see your point. But anyway as a rare single-handed I've found it does put an entirely different light on things, once chugging it is difficult to have a pee, cup of tea, get those vital things you have left in the saloon (iPad, charger, Jambox, sunglasses, hat), close the hatch when it rains etc. Things that one takes for granted /are non -issues when cruising with your partner, suddenly come into sharp focus when single handed. So waiting for a lock is a prime opportunity for a cuppa or whatever, that you have been gasping for for the past hour. It is a different ballgame from multi-handing.

The next time I'll ask if I can help.

No need to, he was just being an arse.
  • Greenie 1

Don't really see your point. But anyway as a rare single-handed I've found it does put an entirely different light on things, once chugging it is difficult to have a pee, cup of tea, get those vital things you have left in the saloon (iPad, charger, Jambox, sunglasses, hat), close the hatch when it rains etc. Things that one takes for granted /are non -issues when cruising with your partner, suddenly come into sharp focus when single handed. So waiting for a lock is a prime opportunity for a cuppa or whatever, that you have been gasping for for the past hour. It is a different ballgame from multi-handing.

Kind of im on me own so i think others should look after me ...

yes but he could have helped with the lock and had his cup of tea when he came out of the lock.

But I don't see why it is compulsory to help other people who are not going to help you. As I said, it is a nice thing to do if feasible but sometimes a cuppa takes priority.

The only thing to do differently next time might be to walk up to the lock as they leave to ensure the gate stays open, rather than casting off just as they exit with the presumption that they'll leave it open, which I suppose could irritate some.

I did think he was being an arse but thought I'd check back here to see if my relative inexperience had clouded my vision. I will generally offer to help where I can. If a similar bokle turns up though, I'll tell him he's an arse.

Ah right, so a respite from cruising is only available when mooring for a lock.

I've single handed too BTW.

Kind of im on me own so i think others should look after me ...

No I disagree. Kind of "there's a boat waiting to come up, I can save some effort by not closing the gate". And kind of "boat in the lock, good opportunity for a cuppa, I'll continue chugging once they've finished. Makes the world go round.

Leaving a gate open for an opposite direction boat is hardly "looking after someone on their own" - it is just taking the most economical course of action.

Ah right, so a respite from cruising is only available when mooring for a lock.

I've single handed too BTW.

No but it is an opportunity.

I have never single handed and am unlikely to but I don't think you were in the wrong. I have to admit that I have a strange love of locks and like working them myself and would probably have worked it for you as well!

Still I don't think anyone should expect help from those waiting particularly if you weren't on the lock side for all he knew you were in the toilet.

I would have asked if he needed any help or did he want a cuppa.

I thought that was what this boating malarkey was all about.....

But the guy with the cruiser had his wife with him why should he expect someone else to come and help him. His action in closing the gate against the OP though was pure bloody-mindednes - it actually involved him in some extra work that he did not need to do, simply to be unpleasant.

• Greenie 3

No but it is an opportunity.

Kettle on.....

"Excuse me guys, do you need any help?"

Has boating really become so complicated in the last 18 months?

If we know we've got a single hander behind us, we'll ask how far they are going and for the next 2 or 3 locks (depending on how far apart they are) if there's on one coming in the opposite direction, we'll set the lock so it's in their favor when they arrive.

We've done this on a few occasions and have always received a heart felt thanks if they catch up to us as we're either moving really slowly or have pulled over the for the day.

Every now and then we'll come across a single hander who will say they don't want any help with a lock - fair play, we leave them to get on with it and we carry on...to each their own.

Personally I don't think you did anything wrong Ricco, you were on your own, they had a skipper and crew, in my mind, they should have been offering you assistance, but that's just me.