Gas Detectors ?

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Are Gas detectors any good if so where is the best place to put one ?

Last night i thought i could smell gas, obviously i turned gas bottle off and opened up the hatch then closed off the inlet into the boat. (It was a mild sweet smell)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003B1W3GE/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467535699&sr=8-4π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=gas+detector&dpPl=1&dpID=319FG%6&ref=plSrch

Edited by Greylady2

A gas alarm is worthwhile.

Positioning is important. LPG is denser than air so any leaking gas will tend to flow and collect at a low level, so that's where the sensor(s) need to be.

The best alarms for boats have a sensor connected to the main unit with a 3m or longer length of cable, so that the main unit can be positioned where it can be seen and heard, with the sensor in the place where leaking gas is likely to collect. Some have two sensors.

You also need to think about power and whether you would want the alarm to be active while the boat was left unattended.

The one in your link is mains powered so you would need a 240V supply and it doesn't seem to have the sensor on a cable separate to the main unit. It's not the kind of thing I would want to use on a boat.

Are Gas detectors any good if so where is the best place to put one ?

Last night i thought i could smell gas, obviously i turned gas bottle off and opened up the hatch then closed off the inlet into the boat. (It was a mild sweet smell)

It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the smell of LPG.

Turn a gas ring on for a second or two but don't light it. Turn it off and then have a sniff around the ring. Is it the same smell you smelled last night?

It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the smell of LPG.

Turn a gas ring on for a second or two but don't light it. Turn it off and then have a sniff around the ring. Is it the same smell you smelled last night?

Yes i think so, should the gas locker have any slight smell mike ?

I would say it is definitely not a mild sweet smell. When I had a gas leak caused by a bodged compression fitting by a paid for marina my son thought it was the toilet.

Mike is right in my view. All boaters should familiarise themselves with the smell.

Edited by Tony Brooks

A gas alarm is worthwhile.

Positioning is important. LPG is denser than air so any leaking gas will tend to flow and collect at a low level, so that's where the sensor(s) need to be.

The best alarms for boats have a sensor connected to the main unit with a 3m or longer length of cable, so that the main unit can be positioned where it can be seen and heard, with the sensor in the place where leaking gas is likely to collect. Some have two sensors.

You also need to think about power and whether you would want the alarm to be active while the boat was left unattended.

The one in your link is mains powered so you would need a 240V supply and it doesn't seem to have the sensor on a cable separate to the main unit. It's not the kind of thing I would want to use on a boat.

Cheers, i need to get some sensors just for piece of mind.

Its not nice in the dark looking in the gas locker in the middle of no where.

Edit : will get one installed

http://www.force4.co.uk/department/safety/fire-gas-safety/gas-fume-alarms/gas-alarms-with-waterproof-sensors-m.html#.V3jqpXRwbqA

Edited by Greylady2

Yes i think so, should the gas locker have any slight smell mike ?

No it shouldn't, but most do.

Officially, there should be no leaks but the valve spindle on most gas bottles leaks a bit hence the smell present in most gas lockers.

This slight leakage is the reason the gas locker drain holes are so important.

In case you were not aware, LPG is (a lot) heavier than air so leaked gas flows down to the floor and then into the bilges. Hence it behaves rather like water. The gas locker drain holes allow leaked gas to flow overboard. Inside the bote you can't do do this for obvious reasons so gas-tightness is critically important for safety.

No it shouldn't, but most do.

Officially, there should be no leaks but the valve spindle on most gas bottles leaks a bit hence the smell present in most gas lockers.

This slight leakage is the reason the gas locker drain holes are so important.

In case you were not aware, LPG is (a lot) heavier than air so leaked gas flows down to the floor and then into the bilges. Hence it behaves rather like water. The gas locker drain holes allow leaked gas to flow overboard. Inside the bote you can't do do this for obvious reasons so gas-tightness is critically important for safety.

Much appreciated.

Do you have a bubble tester? They are good for a quick check for leaks.

I have an LPG detector but it seems to be discontinued, so I can not recommend one, a quick google will find a few.

However to get you started - http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/gas-alarms-and-gas-detectors/p3425s82/pilot-mini-gas-alarm-12v-24v.htm

If you do fit one the sensor needs to be very low down as LPG is heavier than air and will collect at the low points.

Do you have a bubble tester? They are good for a quick check for leaks.

I have an LPG detector but it seems to be discontinued, so I can not recommend one, a quick google will find a few.

However to get you started - http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/gas-alarms-and-gas-detectors/p3425s82/pilot-mini-gas-alarm-12v-24v.htm

If you do fit one the sensor needs to be very low down as LPG is heavier than air and will collect at the low points.

No i dont have one chewbacka, thats a dam site cheaper thank the one i linked. Lol

Why am i being reminded about the VW tv advert and the guy buying a parachute with a free alarm clock. Haha

Thanks Chewbacka for your help..

Edited by Greylady2

The thing about gas detectors is, they are a bit subversive. You want to sit in your saloon all smug knowing there are no gas leaks because the alarm is not sounding, yes?

In which case, how do you know your gas leak alarm still works?

Don't forget most aerosol sprays nowadays use Butane as a propellant instead of CFC.

So really you sould either only allow hair and oxter spraying off the boat or ban teenagers.

Edited once upon a twice to turn "air" into "hair"

Edited by zenataomm

Don't forget most aerosol sprays nowadays use Butane as a propellant instead of CFC.

So really you sould either only allow hair and oxter spraying off the boat or ban teenagers.

Edited once upon a twice to turn "air" into "hair"

I never let anyone spray their oxters in my boat!

The thing about gas detectors is, they are a bit subversive. You want to sit in your saloon all smug knowing there are no gas leaks because the alarm is not sounding, yes?

I spent 20 years working with gas detection that cost 10 times more that the stuff you are likely to buy and the level of maintenance it required to keep it working reliably was tremendous. I don't think I would ever trust something that is so cheep, fit and forget.

I think you said you don't have a bubble tester, I would have a bubble tester in preference to an LPG sensor.

I'd like to point out that bubble testers can also be a bit subversive. You want to sit in your saloon all smug knowing there are no gas leaks because you have a bubble tester installed in the gas locker, yes?

In which case, when did you last press the button in and hold it there for one minute whilst peering continuously into the tiny plastic window with a torch trying to spot a pinhead-sized bubble go past?

On balance I still think having a bubble tester is better than no bubble tester, but the rule requiring them to be inside the gas locker is insane. It just ensured the never get used other than once every five years at BSS time.

I'd like to point out that bubble testers can also be a bit subversive. You want to sit in your saloon all smug knowing there are no gas leaks because you have a bubble tester installed in the gas locker, yes?

In which case, when did you last press the button in and hold it there for one minute whilst peering continuously into the tiny plastic window with a torch trying to spot a pinhead-sized bubble go past?

On balance I still think having a bubble tester is better than no bubble tester, but the rule requiring them to be inside the gas locker is insane. It just ensured the never get used other than once every five years at BSS time.

I check mine about once per week - so long as it isn't raining. clapping.gif

But should the op smell a strange smell she can use it to check for leaks.

But if in any doubt, turn off the gas.

Good point.

A bit like having a reserve parachute and not knowing if it will open.

In normal conditions there should be no leaks at all. NONE!. If you can smell gas then something is wrong.

The first check is to see if you have accidentally turned on an appliance - or not fully turned it off. Sometimes I smell gas due to a blow-back of flue gas in windy conditions (if you have a gas heater).

A bubble tester is an excellent thing to tell if there is the slightest leak. Once properly fitted it is a simple DIY check device. It is usually in the gas locked at source so that you are warned of leaks anywhere in the system from that point on.

Fitting a gas detector is to warn of the occurrence of a leak if it arises in due course. but is not a remedy for an existing leak - that should be found and fixed first. Unless you really know about gas engineering things, you need to call in a professional registered gas fitter to check out your system. It is an essential and mandatory part of the BSS..

And a little known tip about gas bottles. You might smell gas in the locker because gas can leak around the valve stem when turned partly on. The trick is to open the valve fully until it stops tight. It then seals the stem against the backstop completely - no leaks!

PS: Leaking stems of partly open valves might explain why last year's full BBQ gas bottle is empty when you go to use it first time this year.

A bubble tester is an excellent thing to tell if there is the slightest leak.

No it isn't. The Bubble Tester is quite a coarse indicator of passage of gas. I've typed out why many times over the years!

In addition, it only detects a leak downstream of where it's fitted.

The gas detector in our boat gave me that reassurance we had no leaks until we were getting work done and it needed removing. At this point we found the other end of the wire wasn't actually connected to a power source.

The gas detector in our boat gave me that reassurance we had no leaks until we were getting work done and it needed removing. At this point we found the other end of the wire wasn't actually connected to a power source.

They usually get disconnected when they keep going off!