Does a Mooring Reset the 14 Days Rule ?

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Does putting a boat in a home mooring offline for three nights reset the 14 day rule ?

We don't stay in one area more than 8 days anyway it's just a question really.

In theory yes, but in practice I'd say no.

The problem is, a CRT spotter is unlikely to record the absense of your boat for the three days, so the CRT komputa will assume you've been there the whole time.

(Leading to them sending you letters.)

Can you clarify what you mean by "the 14 day rule"?

Unless there are signs to the contrary, a boat is allowed to moor beside the towpath on CART waters for up to 14 days at a time.

In theory yes, but in practice I'd say no.

The problem is, a CRT spotter is unlikely to record the absense of your boat for the three days, so the CRT komputa will assume you've been there the whole time.

CART's employees' lack of assiduousness is not the boater's fault.

Edited by Athy

CART's employees' lack of assisuousness is not the boater's fault.

Is it the employee's fault they are instructed to walk the towpath only once or twice a week gathering data?

The point I was making is that irrespective of the niceties of law, the mooring pattern described by the OP is likely to cause them the trouble of having to engage in dialogue with CRT. Probably repeatedly.

How do they deliver these letters?

Is it to your 'official' address (permanent ? - when you are away most of the time) - or by hand delivered to your boat - which must annoy them if you are not there!.

For practical reasons I assume the 14 day limit is largely for the benefit of other boaters - which if a busy spot - there will be plenty of complaints (evidence) of your over-staying (ro absence) - or maybe from nearby householders - especially if they have erected a 'No Mooring' sign outside their house.

Otherwise, if it is not busy - who is bothered you have been there more than 14 days - or is this a purge aimed at continuous cruisers forcing them to move on.

Very untypical typo for you?

You are certainly jesting! My spelling is impeccable, but my computer's spelling can be pecced often.

Is it the employee's fault they are instructed to walk the towpath only once or twice a week gathering data?

The point I was making is that irrespective of the niceties of law, the mooring pattern described by the OP is likely to cause them the trouble of having to engage in dialogue with CRT. Probably repeatedly.

I can't see why. As long as the boater is in the right (i.e. did not overstay) then there should be no problem.

You are certainly jesting! My spelling is impeccable, but my computer's spelling can be pecced often.

I can't see why. As long as the boater is in the right (i.e. did not overstay) then there should be no problem.

Are you being particularly unimaginiative today?

The problem is there is likely to be letters from CRT accusing them (incorrectly) of overstaying, and the OP will then have to waste time and effort explaining their movements to CRT.

Not a big problem, granted, but one likely to occur.

Are you being particularly unimaginiative today?

No more than usual, no. But I heard somewhere that in Little England people are innocent until they are proved otherwise.

No more than usual, no. But I heard somewhere that in Little England people are innocent until they are proved otherwise.

Of course they are. But do you not think it better to pragmatically avoid being accused, rather than having to demonstrate your innocence?

Presumably you have endless time on your hands to engage with CRT such matters!

Of course they are. But do you not think it better to pragmatically avoid being accused, rather than having to demonstrate your innocence?

Presumably you have endless time on your hands to engage with CRT such matters!

No, but then I don't envisage ever needing to.

From the tenor of your remarks I infer that you have had a problem arising from your mooring choices.

Oh, I don't have to demonstrate my innocence; CART have to demonstrate my guilt, as I hinted in post no.12.

Edited by Athy

No, but then I don't envisage ever needing to.

From the tenor of your remarks I infer that you have had a problem arising from your mooring choices.

Oh, I don't have to demonstrate my innocence; CART have to demonstrate my guilt, as I hinted in post no.12.

How do you figure that out? A wealth of evidence on here shows otherwise. CRT make the accusation and (eventually) cancel your licence. Now who needs to prove what?

And no I'm not having, nor have I ever had any problem arising from my mooring choices.

(Other than once, about ten years ago, having to prove my innocence to CRT by producing my home mooring contract!)

How do you figure that out? A wealth of evidence on here shows otherwise. CRT make the accusation and (eventually) cancel your licence.

Only if you are guilty. If you say "No, I did not overstay", the onus is upon them to prove that you did. That's how British law works.

Under the 1995 Act the onus is on you to "satisfy the Board.....

...that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere;"

Nothing here about the 14 day "rule".

The relevant bit for those with a home mooring is in the licence t&cs with nothing about the board getting satisfaction.

The new bit in the t&c's may or may not be legally valid, but most people with home moorings have no great desire to stay in one place for a fortnight anyway. A minority may want or need to and this can usually be accommodated by CRT as long as one hasn't acquired the reputation for extracting bodily fluids...

To be honest, the legality of anything I choose to do has never bothered me too much. So far, I've avoided getting caught...

I received a text message to my phone, at 7.30pm on the Friday evening before the May bank holiday.

I was moored on Gurnett Aqueduct on the Macclesfield, and had been there two days. The text said according to C&RT records, I had been there for over two weeks, and I should move or contact them.

I had moored in the same location on my way up the canal, but been upto Marple and back between C&RT sightings.

I was eventually (after the bank holiday) able to correct their assumptions and received e mail correspondence to assure me that any suggestion of over stay had been removed from my records.

Not an onerous task, and to be honest I quite liked the idea that some one was out there checking (perhaps not often enough ;) )

Rog

Edited by dogless

To answer the OP, yes. CRT say any return to your home mooring resets the trip.

Music to my ears and good to know thanks.

We always obey the 'rules" anyway and rarely in 1 place for 7 days.

Plus we keep a log book of where we stay and times.

Can you clarify what you mean by "the 14 day rule"?

Good question can anyone Paul? Lol

From what I've only read on here it means I have to move to another parish every 14 Days, how far who knows ?

We work on 4 miles every 7 days with 2 days back in the marina then 4 - 10 miles the opposite way out of the marina.

The norm around here is

14 Days - move up 3 mile

14 Days - move up 3 mile

Vice versa - this is not our pattern but it's works for others from what I can imagine.

Edited by Greylady2