Nespresso only works on shore power

mross

Featured Posts

What would happen if I "brewed" my Senseo bags in a cup of hot water.

I would think it would taste weak, those things, like the nespresso are made for a machine that puts pressure (15bar?) through the 5g of coffee as quick as possible to acquire the desired taste.

5g is not enough for a tasty brew, for a 250ml cup you need at least 15g of ground coffee to get a decent brew.

I have tried to replicate the nespresso capsules with my own roasted beans, i have took them as dark as i feel comfortable with and they are nowhere near dark enough, nespresso capsules are darker than lord vaders dark side, and then some!

I'm back on my boat now and see that my inverter is a Stirling 2500W so I'd have thought is would cope, but it is MSW so that's probably the problem.

I had similar issues with other appliances. I bought a laptop which just didn't like MSW inverters. Exchanged it for a Dell laptop instead and now I have no problems though I'm aware of the disadvantages of using MSW. Swapping your inverter for a pure sine wave inverter of similar wattage will be costly.

I know that cheap laptop 'bricks' can cause weird problems. I had to replace a few with ones off eBay. Problems included the mouse freezing and my Garmin refusing to connect with my PC. But on a boat why not run laptops etc off 12V via a cigarette lighter style plug and socket? In my experience they will charge more quickly off DC. All the 'chips' run off 5v DC after all!

I know that cheap laptop 'bricks' can cause weird problems. I had to replace a few with ones off eBay. Problems included the mouse freezing and my Garmin refusing to connect with my PC. But on a boat why not run laptops etc off 12V via a cigarette lighter style plug and socket? In my experience they will charge more quickly off DC. All the 'chips' run off 5v DC after all!

Hmmm well showing your age just a touch if I may say so! The chips mostly run off 3.3v or less. But of course the battery is a much higher voltage.

And some want 19 volts and only from "Their" power supply

Yes I was a bit surprised when my trusty 7 year old Dell laptop suddenly started saying "plugged in, NOT charging". There was some cable damage at the power adaptor outlet and to cut a long story short I found there were in fact 3 wires, the 0v, the 19v and the "magic wire" which somehow told the laptop what sort of charger was plugged in. The "magic wire" was broken and when I fixed it the laptop reported "plugged in, charging" again. I didn't get around to investigating what it was in the "magic wire" that communicated with the laptop.

All interesting and useful. Has anyone used an espresso machine on an inverter of less than 2500W? I'm planning to upgrade my unbranded MSW which is about 1,000W from memory.

Ours Nespresso (Krupps) has changed Mrs Loafer's whole life. She loves it. It runs fine on a 2kW cheap chinese PSW inverter which cost me about £239, and with 4 Trojans I don't need to start the engine.

The aeropress makes a really excellent cup of coffee and at about £24 is good value. It's not electric so it can't break down so easily. The downside is you need two if your other half wants an equally good cup of coffee and thus it's more effort. Do they make one large enough for two mugs full or would the hand pressure required be just too much?

One more thing about the nespresso machine. It is of course made by (marketed by)Nestles. This won't mean much to a lot of people but some may wish to boycott the product. (green stuff, ethical companies & all that stuff)

I didn't get around to investigating what it was in the "magic wire" that communicated with the laptop.

It's a 1 wire ROM chip:

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed

There's a hack available:

http://hackaday.com/2014/03/03/hacking-dell-laptop-charger-identification/

But it's probably easier just to pay Dell.

Tony :)

Oh that's interesting, thanks. Anyway I fixed the wire and it worked fine. Well until I blew up the motherboard! Long story! New motherboard now installed and working fine but in the meantime I got a new laptop.

I think short use of anything is fine, if the engine is running and the invertor can carry the load, i use the washer with the engine running, also the iron and toaster, and a microwave is something i need also, but this only really runs for 2-3 minutes.

There are limits though. If you try & run 200A worth of electricity eating device, & your engine only has a 90A alternator, you'll be revving the guts out of your engine & still losing.

Lots of boats have much larger alternators these days.