Can you do a job on my boat for me? (Tewkesbury)

PaulG

Featured Posts

Hi all you practical people out there!

Can anyone fit a new toilet in my boat on Monday or Tuesday next week? (6th or 7th June)

I've got the toilet (Dometic traveller 311). Boat is in Tewkesbury marina.

The guy who was going to fit it for me has had to cancel.

We're due to go off on a 3-week cruise on Wednesday, so I'm a bit desperate!

Generous (IMHO) remuneration in the form of folding beer vouchers is on offer...

Sorry cannot help, but for anyone that can a bit more info may assist :

Is it a totally 'new' install ?

Is it a like for like replacement for an existing one ?

Is all the necessary pipework / water supply already in place ?

If it is simply a case of 4 screws and a couple of jubilee clips then there may be more offers of help, rather than 'days' of work, cutting holes, adding fittings etc.

Sorry cannot help, but for anyone that can a bit more info may assist :

Is it a totally 'new' install ?

Is it a like for like replacement for an existing one ?

Is all the necessary pipework / water supply already in place ?

If it is simply a case of 4 screws and a couple of jubilee clips then there may be more offers of help, rather than 'days' of work, cutting holes, adding fittings etc.

Thanks for your reply Alan.

I'll clarify what I need.

It's a replacement toilet, so hole is already there. I've cleaned out and deodorised the tank as far as possible.

The pipework is in place, but it is on the wrong side of the toilet, so it needs a short piece of pipework, or maybe a piece of flexible hose.

There's a hardware supply place right opposite the marina that should stock any plumbing fittings that are needed.

We also have Jewsons, Screwfix, etc in town, and I'm happy to do a bit of running around to get parts if necessary.

The toilet is a Dometic 311:

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/EPiServer/Dometic/US/Specification-Sheets/Recreational-Vehicles/z03.Toilet-Systems/310-Series-Spec-Sheet_22892.pdf

It is supposed to be a 2-bolt easy fit job.

I was told that it needs a new base flange:

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/product/tm-013.aspx

So I'm going to get one from one of the Midland stores today.

If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them!

Given the cancelled chap appears to have been intending to do it in a day, I suspect it is a like-for-like replacement.

If it is a fresh installation from scratch then a day seems very optimistic unless the installer is experienced at fitting bogs and is confident he has all the tools and installation materials (pipes, wires, switches, clips etc) necessary in the van. He might have cancelled having reaised he has underestimated the job.

On the other hand if its a fresh installation there is presumably a Port Potti there now, so fitting the new bog wouldn't be as crucial as the OP says.

Oops, cross posted with the OP!

Given the cancelled chap appears to have been intending to do it in a day, I suspect it is a like-for-like replacement.

If it is a fresh installation from scratch then a day seems very optimistic unless the installer is experienced at fitting bogs and is confident he has all the tools and installation materials (pipes, wires, switches, clips etc) necessary in the van. He might have cancelled having reaised he has underestimated the job.

On the other hand if its a fresh installation there is presumably a Port Potti there now, so fitting the new bog wouldn't be as crucial as the OP says.

Oops, cross posted with the OP!

The OP can pee over the side and use pub bogs in the time honoured fashion.

Mrs. OP, however is not impressed by the lack of facilities, and is giving me more than a little grief...

Edited to say that the original guy was estimating 2 to 4 hours for the job.

Edited by PaulG

Sounds a straightforward enough fit then!

If no-one comes forward able to do it, is it possible to carry on using the old bog? Is it busted? (I realise you've down all the prep for the change and this would be wasted effort.)

Sounds a straightforward enough fit then!

If no-one comes forward able to do it, is it possible to carry on using the old bog? Is it busted? (I realise you've down all the prep for the change and this would be wasted effort.)

Hi Mike - was certainly hoping that it would be a straightforward fit.

Unfortunately the old one seems to have come loose on its' moorings. It's wobbling around and leaking everywhere, so we haven't been able to use it.

I haven't investigated the cause of this failure as I decided that a new bog was the best bet.

The old one is probably the best part of 30 years old - a "Traveller" unit AFAIR.

Edited by PaulG

Unfortunately the old one seems to have come loose on its' moorings. It's wobbling around and leaking everywhere, so we haven't been able to use it.

I haven't investigated the cause of this failure as I decided that a new bog was the best bet.

Ah... I think you might end up buying the Porta Potti.

I've seen this problem before and it can be corrosion of the poo tank, where the metal around the big hole has rusted away so the bolts holding the mounting ring in place are now fixed to fresh air. (Well not that fresh actually.)

This means the new mounting plate you get can't be fixed in place either. It also means there might be other corrosion in the tank too. How old is the boat?

On the other hand, the wobbly pan might just be wobbling because the mounting bolts have rusted though and can be replaced. All less work than changing the whole bog, but I suggest you closely inspect the metal the mounting ring is fixed to.

Ah... I think you might end up buying the Porta Potti.

I've seen this problem before and it can be corrosion of the poo tank, where the metal around the big hole has rusted away so the bolts holding the mounting ring in place are now fixed to fresh air. (Well not that fresh actually.)

This means the new mounting plate you get can't be fixed in place either. It also means there might be other corrosion in the tank too. How old is the boat?

On the other hand, the wobbly pan might just be wobbling because the mounting bolts have rusted though and can be replaced. All less work than changing the whole bog, but I suggest you closely inspect the metal the mounting ring is fixed to.

Hi Mike - thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

The boat was built in about 1990, so the bog is not in it's first "flush of youth" if you'll pardon the pun.

At the very least it needs an overhaul as the seals are gone, so that's why I decided to replace it.

Stupidly, I once undertook a similar task for a friend. The top of the poo tank was horribly rusted so we designed a metal plate to bolt on over the rusty hole, so there was new meat for new bolts to be fixed through.

Then on closer inspection, and fortunately prior to getting the plate made, we found the tank weeping in various places around the base too. YUK!

Can you get the old pan off yourself so you can get a close look at the state of the top of the tank?

(This was on a 1987 IIRC boat...)

Stupidly, I once undertook a similar task for a friend. The top of the poo tank was horribly rusted so we designed a metal plate to bolt on over the rusty hole, so there was new meat for new bolts to be fixed through.

Then on closer inspection, and fortunately prior to getting the plate made, we found the tank weeping in various places around the base too. YUK!

Can you get the old pan off yourself so you can get a close look at the state of the top of the tank?

(This was on a 1987 IIRC boat...)

Hi Mike - the tank's not leaking anywhere else. It's under the bed, so I think we would have noticed!

I'll try and remove the old bog as you suggest...

Edited by PaulG

MTB (#12) is on it.

If you can get the old kit out of the throne room and post some picks of it (The bog) and the tank/mountings folk would be better able to see if they could help. The state of the floor is very important too. leakage from the plumbing or the users may have caused extra probs so a quick fix would be a bad thing.

I could make it to Floodsbury on Tuseday it it looked like a 'fit and shit' job but I suspect it isn't.

Post some picks but in the mean time buy a porta pot just in case?

MTB (#12) is on it.

If you can get the old kit out of the throne room and post some picks of it (The bog) and the tank/mountings folk would be better able to see if they could help. The state of the floor is very important too. leakage from the plumbing or the users may have caused extra probs so a quick fix would be a bad thing.

I could make it to Floodsbury on Tuseday it it looked like a 'fit and shit' job but I suspect it isn't.

Thanks for that.

I'll have a go at it this afternoon...

The OP can pee over the side and use pub bogs in the time honoured fashion.

what's wrong with the shower tray?

If there is a whale gulper fitted that can deal with all sorts of stuff, it is after all the same pump all be it fitted with bigger in and out as they use for moving black waste.

Edited by Loddon

MTB (#12) is on it.

Hi - i've been down to the boat and removed the old toilet.

The job doesn't look like too much ball ache.

The original securing bolts are nowhere to be seen. There is some verdigris that suggests that they might once have existed.

The tank is glassfibre (or possibly ABS), so there is no other corrosion.

The existing floor flange needs to be rotated by 45 degrees. It is bedded in what looks to be rubber sealant, so probably best to take it off and fit the new one that I have already bought.

I don't have new floor flange bolts but the old ones appear to be stainless and in good nick.

The fresh water supply is on the left hand side of the old toilet, and on the right hand side of the new one. Probably easiest to modify the plastic supply pipe that runs behind the toilet so that the t-junction is on the correct side.

Piccy below of the area with old thunderbox removed, and the fitting kit that I have.

If you were able to make it on Tuesday, I'd be very grateful!

post-5065-0-56017000-1465058090_thumb.jpgpost-5065-0-41308300-1465058116_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulG

You've obviously got enough DIY skills to get this far - any reason why you can't finish the job?

All I've had to do so far is to disconnect a water pipe!

It just strikes me as the sort of job that could go horribly wrong if you don't have any experience.

I've not done much plumbing, and it may be a simple job, but I don't really trust myself.

However, if no-one wants to do it, then I'll probably have a go at it...

Good 'photos and descriptions.

It looks like the trickiest job will be movihg the Te junction from left to right because of the paneling and bulkheads. Can the NuLoo be easily changed or is there room to double back from the Te? Moving the Te will need ether a new length of pipe from whatener is to the left of it (Best option) or a sraight connecter in place of the Te.

I should be able to make it on Tuseday but have been put on 24 Hr callout by the firm (The rissoles!). PM me for a 'phone number.

I should be able to make it on Tuseday but have been put on 24 Hr callout by the firm (The rissoles!). PM me for a 'phone number.

Oh good!

I wanted to say something about this, I have done engine work for Paul in the past. There will be nothing odd or risky about this job, no hidden agendas. Paul is asking because he wants someone to do the job for him, and he will be perfectly straight about what he wants and paying up

It's not my kind of job

Richard

Oh good!

I wanted to say something about this, I have done engine work for Paul in the past. There will be nothing odd or risky about this job, no hidden agendas. Paul is asking because he wants someone to do the job for him, and he will be perfectly straight about what he wants and paying up

It's not my kind of job

Richard

Thank you for that, Richard. Much appreciated!