Attaching Fairleads

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Yes that is how I have seen horse drawn boats brought to a halt. I usually get the rope around my leg or similar when trying this ;)

Be very careful when doing this - sometimes a horse has something similar to your leg, and he's unlikely to thank you for a rope around it! ;)

Be very careful when doing this - sometimes a horse has something similar to your leg, and he's unlikely to thank you for a rope around it! wink.png

Just thinking about that brings tears to my eyes ohmy.png

I was about to post a question on these but "the search function" HAS saved a repeated posting. THAT said, do you think that "rivet nuts" would be strong enough rather than tapping into the handrail? - whilst I don't intend on them being under much strain (one either side for twin centre lines) in reality, I'll probably forget when single handing and put a bit of strain on them.

Simple answer no.

Reasons once they ha been put under strain then they can work loose.

They work best in thin sheet metal

I have just had to replace 20 due to customer misuse!

Where we have to put in a secure blind fixing we use these

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/m8-x-50-blind-bolt-stainless-steel-a4-9-24mm-grip-range-bb0850a4asm?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuJu9BRDP_-HN9eXs1_UBEiQAlfW39mGGPqestbYuydDASSG85RQIv1FfIvlBarVbw9hnafoaAlQm8P8HAQ

Edited by Loddon

Simple answer no.

Reasons once they ha been put under strain then they can work loose.

They work best in thin sheet metal

I have just had to replace 20 due to customer misuse!

Where we have to put in a secure blind fixing we use these

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/m8-x-50-blind-bolt-stainless-steel-a4-9-24mm-grip-range-bb0850a4asm?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuJu9BRDP_-HN9eXs1_UBEiQAlfW39mGGPqestbYuydDASSG85RQIv1FfIvlBarVbw9hnafoaAlQm8P8HAQ

Don't wish to out a damper on things but what metal are they made of? I am just thinking of electrolytic action between dissimilar metals. Although saying that I have used brass bolts in mine into steel cants and not yet had a corrosion problem. I did however mount the fairleads on a thin vinyl and sealed it all with Sikaflex.

Edited by Ray T

That's one reason I wouldn't have them

Absolutely. If you are strapping your boat in a lock the pull on the rope can be very great. The pull on the fairlead will be the vector sum of the tension in the rope acting towards the centre line fixing and the tension in the rope acting towards the bollard. The sum will very probably be greater than the stopping force on the boat but it depends on the angles.

The folding down ones will be very neat when stowed but with the stainless steel (?) rod which makes the hinge be man enough to take the force necessary.

Nick

Edited by Theo

Don't wish to out a damper on things but what metal are they made of? I am just thinking of electrolytic action between dissimilar metals. Although saying that I have used brass bolts in mine into steel cants and not yet had a corrosion problem. I did however mount the fairleads on a thin vinyl and sealed it all with Sikaflex.

If you are refering to the bolts I posted then they are steel.

The fixing should really be able to take the load the breaking strain of the rope, with a safety factor. Otherwise an unforeseen incident such as the rope snagging while the boats moving could turn a poorly spec'ed paint protector into a missile. Don't not under estimate the energy in a 20 ton boat moving at 1mph, because if focuses into a lump of brass at head height it could spoil more than your day.

316 or A4 Stainless, so very different to the steel used in narrowboat building.

The ones we use are magnetic so not A4/316

didn't check the spec of the ones in the link just the type of bolt.

Otherwise an unforseen incident such as the rope snagging while the boats moving could turn a poorly speced paint protector into a missile. Don't not under estimate the energy in a 20 ton boat moving at 1mph, because if focuses into a lump of brass as gave height it could spoit more than your day.

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/547c70bce5274a42900000cb/Star_Clipper.pdf

"Just prior to coming alongside, Star Clippers mooring bollard was torn from the deck and was catapulted over the 1.1m pier safety fence. It struck one of the waiting passengers, causing fatal injuries."

Out T stud came adrift on the front of our boat some years ago. The weld failed. That didn't half fly. I made a new one out of steel box section with a half inch bar through it. I wouldn't have the cast type again.

Out T stud came adrift on the front of our boat some years ago. The weld failed. That didn't half fly. I made a new one out of steel box section with a half inch bar through it. I wouldn't have the cast type again.

I would want a tapped hole drilled up the middle of a cast T-stud, and a big bolt screwed in from below the deck plate as an insurance against weld failure.

Ideally the the T stud should be part of a king post with the post passing through the deck with its base secured to the keelson.

I can see that would be a really good job, but wasn't really feasible. I bolted the home made one down with two M16 bolts amd nuts, with a big plate on the underneath as backup. It has outlived the cast one by many years.

I would want a tapped hole drilled up the middle of a cast T-stud, and a big bolt screwed in from below the deck plate as an insurance against weld failure.

I did consider drilling, tapping and getting it re-welded, but the home made one required no welding on the actual boat which was a big bonus.

After my experience, I cringe when I see anchors dangling off tee studs.

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/547c70bce5274a42900000cb/Star_Clipper.pdf

"Just prior to coming alongside, Star Clippers mooring bollard was torn from the deck and was catapulted over the 1.1m pier safety fence. It struck one of the waiting passengers, causing fatal injuries."

Yes. I am aware of that MAIB report, focuses the attention! Also of a member of this site taking a centre-rope eye to the arm.

Daniel

Not quite fairleads but noticed these on a boat the other day:

attachicon.gifDSCF2871.JPG

I have two big eye bolts in a similar position, bolted through and plated behind. They work as fairleads, are handy for attaching springs, and also attaching the anchor to a second and third point (I never trust just a T stud.)