grannykins

Featured Posts

Perm any one from these:

Overall length including fenders

Length with fenders up, including rudder

Waterline length

Length which is inserted into CRT licence renewal and marina paperwork

Bragging length.

If being honest the length for charging purposes includes the fenders in their natural position.

Edited by Ray T

When paying for a mooring its the shortest length

When licencing it, its the shortest length

When insuring it, its the 'correct' length

When selling it, its the longest length

When asking for a quote on blacking / painting, its the shortest length.

When ''comparing, its the longest length

You need to decide (or read the definition of length for your specific 'use')

• Greenie 1

A quick question - when describing a boat as a certain length, does the measurement go from tip of the bow to the stern, to the end of the rudder, or does it include the fenders?

Thanks.

Only the person that measured the quoted dimension knows!

I doubt you can safely assume a quoted dimension conforms to any convention.

I quote my own boat as 35' in length and I know it was designed to be that length from the bow to the stern of the hull excluding the rudder as I have a copy of the original general arrangement drawing and steelwork schedule. How accurately it was constructed to that design I don't know.

JP

Wow, not an easy answer then.

I was thinking about when we buy later this year. Was thinking 50 - 60 ft, so we can do as many canals as we can. But it sounds like even if you buy a boat that is described as 57ft, then there is no guarantees it will actually fit through the short locks?

Although tbh, as we're buying a liveaboard, we may well end up with a longer one and just live with the limitations of travel.

Thanks for all the replies.

Wow, not an easy answer then.

I was thinking about when we buy later this year. Was thinking 50 - 60 ft, so we can do as many canals as we can. But it sounds like even if you buy a boat that is described as 57ft, then there is no guarantees it will actually fit through the short locks?

None at all. Very few boaters have ever measured thier boats, they just quote the figure given to them when they bought it.

Best thing to do is measure the boat yourself before shelling out any money on it. But where will YOU measure it from and to?

Similarly, have a think about how the lenght of a 57ft lock is determined. The length of a lock is just as big a can of worms as the length of the boat which may or may not fit throgh it...

• Greenie 1

I let the BCN company measure it for me in 1935 when gauging it, they measured hundreds of boats so had some practice.

(71' 9")

But were they to make an error in their favour, was it in their interest to overstate the length or understate it?

Understate, I think...

Guess we'll just go with the boat that says 'buy me', however long it happens to be :)

That sounds more like how to pick a dog from the RSPCA than a buy boat. Actually, come to think of it, it's exactly how to buy a dog in both cases! :D

But were they to make an error in their favour, was it in their interest to overstate the length or understate it?

Understate, I think...

I don't think it'd be in their interests to over or under state, as they measured dry inches for gauging, and worked it out with the weights and then mathematically, based on the weights- as far as I know, length had no bearing on that.

I don't think it'd be in their interests to over or under state, as they measured dry inches for gauging, and worked it out with the weights and then mathematically, based on the weights- as far as I know, length had no bearing on that.

I was wondering if the charts and tables they used required the correct length of boat to be entered.

boat.gif my friend as a Viking 23ft I have a Seamaster 27 and the only difference is a few foot at the back (stern) where the bloody big engine is

ok we have not been side by side but I really can not see 4ft of difference captain.gif