Wey Navigation

PeterG

Featured Posts

I am looking at mooring a boat on the Wey navigation and wondered if there was anyone on here that had first hand advice of mooring availability and general information about what they Wey is like. I already have a boat elsewhere on the main network and have for some time, but have got second boat syndrome I believe, which I am told is pretty much uncurable .

Apart from Pyrford Marina and Farncombe Boat House I think all moorings are controlled by the National Trust and there is a waiting list. The waterway is surprisingly rural for its location and seems to be in a better state of repair than many CaRT waters. I followed a steel wide beam up towards the Anchor at Pyrford and he seemed to be having difficulties. I would suggest it is best for cruisers and narrowboats. There may be a few moorings at the mouth of the Wey & Arun Canal that may not be NT.

PS Being essentially a river navigation it is subject to flooding etc.

Edited by Tony Brooks

The Wey and Godalming Navigation is a stunning route. I know Pryford Marina has vacancies but their prices are horrendous.

I have recently been told another marina is to be dug near Send. Hopefully this will lower prices.

My impression us that it's a very well managed waterway. They have lengthsmen who keep on top of levels and pound management. We had an issue at Guildford Lock where a large sunken log got well jammed in the upper ground sluice. Within 30 mins the lengthsmen was on the scene - could not shift the wood but managed to get the boats through. When we came back the sluice was clear as he had called the engine ring team right over to deal.

There are no overstayers as far as I can see. It's not too busy at the Mo.

The vegatation offside and onside is managed. Usefully they just haircut mooring spots so you know you have depth to moor and are easy to spot.

Edited by mark99

There is to be a new marina. I didn't know but googled "marina at send" and there it is. It may be good to introduce competition for Tingdene which owns Pyrford marina and which I agree is eye wateringly expensive but I'm not sure the Wey would benefit from a lot more boats, if this is what happens. Then again, I'm probably showing my NIMBY credentials.

Edited by leolady too

There are some offside gaps in existing mooring lines - so possible vacancies managed by the NT - above Papercourt Lock and between Woodham Junction and New Haw Lock.

I recently chatted with a resident of Send who said that the marina will no longer be built and that planning permission was now being sought for the site for numerous new homes. Don't take that as fact though, as I cannot confirm it online other than to find reference to the building of the marina plus 100 new homes.

Pyrford Marina is very nice (I am there right now). You get what you pay for, we're in the south east, and it is the only marina on the Wey. Even when all river sections are in flood we can still cruise north 2 hours as far as Town Lock (you can turn up to about a 40' boat there). Better than nothing!

We had a mooring at Pyrford Marina for about 2 years but moved on 3 years ago. The elsan facility was regularly out of order which was a great disappointment given the fees charged. (£4K + at the time)

The Wey Navigation, although very scenic, has limited mooring spots and we found the locks to be difficult to operate. On the plus side, the licence is (or was) just over £100 but of course you are limited to the navigation, trips on the Thames are extra!

Yes interesting comments. I looked at the prices for Pyrford and as you say rather expensive but I would save on license and travelling costs.

Potential competition at Send appears to be currently on hold as there are some constraints on the initial stages of planning permission and who knows if there is a will to carry on with this.

Edited by PeterG

They have lengthsmen who keep on top of levels and pound management.

Not always! When we went up in August 2010, and they opened a lot of sluices to run off excess water after some heavy rain, but then didn't shut them soon enough. We were pushing up past Farncombe Boathouise when the river emptied.

As there was nothing more we could do, we put ropes ashore, went to the pub, then spent the night aground in the middle of the channel. By morning the level had come back up again and we floated free!

post-7909-0-16973500-1463675981_thumb.jpg

As there was nothing more we could do, we put ropes ashore, went to the pub, then spent the night aground in the middle of the channel. By morning the level had come back up again and we floated free!

Now that, dear readers (should you not already be aware), is an excellent example of how to cope with such a crisis! :)

Last night we heeled over at Send mooring so much so I moved the boat but again an hour later she tipped over. A local came by and said don't worry she will be up overnight it always rises at night.

Sure enough the boat was level this morning.