Vive la France

bargemast

Featured Posts

France is really going over the top, there's a new law, which is not yet in action, but surely made by fools after a couple of bottles of the stuff that lots of people like of France.

They want all users of the inland waterways to wear a helmet to protect them from possible accidents with other boats, and also from nasties that are throwing stones at them.

Were is the limit of their silly rules ?

This is the article about it, too bad it's only in French, but I always think that many words are the same as in English, and "Google" could help with (a normally bad) translation.

http://www.moteurboat.com/actualite/infos/vers-un-port-du-casque-obligatoire.html

Peter.

The article is a hoax. The supposed organisation "SILURE" which has suggested this law doesn't exist - its initials are French for "catfish". Note the 1st April publication date (the French for April Fool is "Poisson d'avril" = April Fish). Form your own conclusions (or, if not wearing a helmet, your own contusions).

A similar article was published claiming to relate to Canadian waterways.

Edited by Athy

France is really going over the top, there's a new law, which is not yet in action, but surely made by fools after a couple of bottles of the stuff that lots of people like of France.

They want all users of the inland waterways to wear a helmet to protect them from possible accidents with other boats, and also from nasties that are throwing stones at them.

Were is the limit of their silly rules ?

This is the article about it, too bad it's only in French, but I always think that many words are the same as in English, and "Google" could help with (a normally bad) translation.

http://www.moteurboat.com/actualite/infos/vers-un-port-du-casque-obligatoire.html

Peter.

Interestingly and as an aside, wine drinking in France by the French is on the decline.

I recall this article from a while ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21929287

Fortunately I would wager the English make up for the lack of consumption by French Nationals so they needn't worry too much..:cheers:

Interestingly and as an aside, wine drinking in France by the French is on the decline.

I recall this article from a while ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21929287

Fortunately I would wager the English make up for the lack of consumption by French Nationals so they needn't worry too much..cheers.gif

Tim & Pru do their bit. biggrin.png

Edited by Ray T

Tim & Pru do their bit. biggrin.png

Indeed and when in France we help their national economy along a bit too.

At their prices it would be rude not to....

The article is a hoax. The supposed organisation "SILURE" which has suggested this law doesn't exist - its initials are French for "catfish". Note the 1st April publication date (the French for April Fool is "Poisson d'avril" = April Fish). Form your own conclusions (or, if not wearing a helmet, your own contusions).

A similar article was published claiming to relate to Canadian waterways.

You are a better reader than I am, didn't look at the date, so they managed to fool me with this delayed 1 st April story, saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if they would make it law anyway, as they're mad enough to invent stupid laws like that.

Didn't know about the similar article related to the Canadian Waterways.

Thanks for clearing this up, I can now put my helmet safety back into storage again laugh.png

Peter.

Thanks for clearing this up, I can now put my helmet safety back into storage again laugh.png

Peter.

clapping.gif

Indeed and when in France we help their national economy along a bit too.

At their prices it would be rude not to....

I was shocked by that article. Fortunately Mrs. Athy and I are off to France later this month (a week's hireboating on the Canal de Garonne) so we shall do our best to support the viticultural economy of the region.

Edited by Athy

clapping.gif

I was shocked by that article. Fortunately Mrs. Athy and I are off to France later this month (a week's hireboating on the Canal de Garonne) so we shall do our best to support the viticultural economy of the region.

You will most likely end up at the right place, but the name of the canal is "Canal latéral à la Garonne", unless it has been changed yesterday or the day before without telling me about it, which wouldn't surprise me, knowing about all the changes they've done over the years without asking me first.

I wish you and Mrs Athy a great week of hireboating in the (hopefully) sunny South.

Peter.

You will most likely end up at the right place, but the name of the canal is "Canal latéral à la Garonne", unless it has been changed yesterday or the day before without telling me about it.

Yes, the name was changed a few years ago: about 2008 I think. Shame on the VNF for not telling you!

Edited by Athy

It's sunny here today in the Limousin, but no guarantees for next week I'm afraid, at least according to the weather forecasting site we use .(Meteo60).

Anent wine drinking, our French friends tell us it is the Brits that drink most, but looking at old Marcel and his mates in the Cafe de la Poste, I'm not so sure.

Yes, the name was changed a few years ago: about 2008 I think. Shame on the VNF for not telling you!

You see, they did it again, I'm seriously considering writing them an official complaint.

Because of all their (to me) unknown changes I will have to adapt all my watermaps and guidebooks.

I don't think they realise about all the work that I have to do now, to make up for a name-change that probably took them less then 5 minutes.

Evenso I'm happy now to have this information, and probably spread the changes in my books over the year(s) as I have a few other things to do too.

Thanks again and happy cruising on the Canal de Garonne.

Peter.

• Greenie 1

You are a better reader than I am, didn't look at the date, so they managed to fool me with this delayed 1 st April story, saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if they would make it law anyway, as they're mad enough to invent stupid laws like that.

Delayed indeed! It's 4 years old. But readers did spot the spoof - see the comment at the bottom.

Delayed indeed! It's 4 years old. But readers did spot the spoof - see the comment at the bottom.

Yes, the astute and obviously droll M. Berg (whose avatar says that he's "working at Retirement".)

It's sunny here today in the Limousin, but no guarantees for next week I'm afraid, at least according to the weather forecasting site we use .(Meteo60).

Anent wine drinking, our French friends tell us it is the Brits that drink most, but looking at old Marcel and his mates in the Cafe de la Poste, I'm not so sure.

Marcel and his mates seem to drink a lot of that Pastis stuff from what I've noticed, haven't found a use for it myself but it might just make a nice fish sauce.

That's Charles Berg, who has an excellent website on French waterways… http://projetbabel.org/fluvial/index.htm and who has written and illustrated some excellent books on canal heritage.

Thanks Pluto, the name did ring a bell. I'll have a look at that web site to whet my appetite, as we're off two weeks from today.

Charles Berg is very knowledgable about the french canals history, he lives on the Canal de Roanne à Digoin on a sort of french equivalent of a narrowboat a "Berrichon" that he bought of friends of mine that saved it from the scrapyard and restored and reengined her.

Peter.

Bought a new donkey?

No, no new donkey, this boat had been motorised many years befor they bought the wreck from the scrapyard with an old an most unreliable twin-cylinder Bernard diesel engine which enjoyed non-running much better than running.

This engine was replaced by a rather nice twin cylinder Baudouin DK-2.

The propulsion system was quite complicated, but worked well and because the drive was behind the hull didn't take up much space inside (which was very limited on a boat like this) for the engine installation.

633773museeconflansmotogodille.jpg

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Maybe with this view from a slightly different angle it's easier to understand, the chain against the stern is attached at both ends, so when the ruder turns it will make the sprocket turn, which then driven by the other chain turns the last part of the rudder.

177253automoteurberrichon03.jpg

The rudders with a secondairy part behind it that are (were) popular in the Netherlands look like this picture and are much simpler

485743flaproer.jpg

Peter.