two unrelated questions about boats!

Featured Posts

I'm being random again

first one is probably easy - will a Viking 23, canopy down, windscreen up, fit through Harecastle Tunnel (whether the boggart will permit this is another matter entirely)

second - In dreaming mode again, I may be looking for a very small boat that can carry one person (if it can carry two that's a bonus, it doesn't have to) and can be carried by one person to launch, retrieve and get it to and from the car, any ideas?

The first question comes about because of a daft idea that, once I've moved Lutine south, I could always move Juno north - I have been noting conversations about having a holiday boat in a different location

The second comes from an inate desire to explore. I want to go under Wallbridge and The Bridge in Frome and would rather not swim. I don't think a canoe could get from one to the other due to shallows (I hesitate to call them rapids!), a micro boat that I could row for a few hundred metres and then carry back to the car would be ideal

A small inflatable dinghy?

Both Seago and Plastimo do a 1.8m 2 person dinghy.

Edited to add: These are round tails only suitable for rowing really but I've just found a 1.6m transom stern by Excel which would take a small outboard, if you felt really lazy.

volante-160.jpg

Edited by carlt

I'm being random again

first one is probably easy - will a Viking 23, canopy down, windscreen up, fit through Harecastle Tunnel (whether the boggart will permit this is another matter entirely)

second - In dreaming mode again, I may be looking for a very small boat that can carry one person (if it can carry two that's a bonus, it doesn't have to) and can be carried by one person to launch, retrieve and get it to and from the car, any ideas?

The first question comes about because of a daft idea that, once I've moved Lutine south, I could always move Juno north - I have been noting conversations about having a holiday boat in a different location

The second comes from an inate desire to explore. I want to go under Wallbridge and The Bridge in Frome and would rather not swim. I don't think a canoe could get from one to the other due to shallows (I hesitate to call them rapids!), a micro boat that I could row for a few hundred metres and then carry back to the car would be ideal

If you reckon on 6 feet air draft you should be ok. Obviously it depends on the profile of your boat. I've seen plenty of boats like yours going through with no problem. If in doubt give CaRT a ring on 03030 404040 and they will advise.

I don't know how well a coracle would survive being banged along the sides of some of our narrow rivers and canals.

How about:-

a small composite boat - such as seen on the 'where's me boat' thread

An inflatable dinghy of stout quality

I've a collection of Seagull OBs and Avon roundtails that I must sell on.....

I've a collection of Seagull OBs and Avon roundtails that I must sell on.....

I too have far too many Seagulls but am keeping half an eye open for a Redcrest at the right price if you could bear to part with one.

Why wouldn't a kayak be ok?

It would probably "do" - this is the vestige of a wild idea to canoe from Frome to Avoncliffe - that's on hold as I haven't a suitable canoe and at low flow a lot of the river isn't canoeable anyway.

In the context of the short trip under Wallbridge launch is tricky and the river above the bridge not that wide, so the length of a canoe may become an issue

I have an ambition to own a flotilla - small dinghy, canoe, small cruiser, large cruiser, narrowboat... anyone want to add any more suggestions?

(I already have a large cruiser and a narrow boat, and can lay my hands on a Tabur Yak 2, which is a bit large for what I have in mind here)

For your little boat you could carry what about one of these?

https://www.coraclesociety.org.uk/

Possible - I need to make sure I don't go round and round in circles!

A small inflatable dinghy?

Both Seago and Plastimo do a 1.8m 2 person dinghy.

Very tempting

Tinker Tramp...You know it makes sense...

Ebay Clicky

Won't fit under the bridges...

For portability, what about a Fliptail?

That has got real potential!

Thanks all! Keep 'em coming smile.png

carlt, on 03 May 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

I too have far too many Seagulls but am keeping half an eye open for a Redcrest at the right price if you could bear to part with one.

Not a model that I ever bought - too popular!

I have a Redstart in very good conditions - apart (!) from a valve that needs repairing (has come apart) and I'm not prepared to repair it in case I bodge it.

Also two Redseals (dunno why I bought the second one).

All with floors

My Management refused to travel in any of them - so they've lain in storage for some time

Feel free to PM me.

It would probably "do" - this is the vestige of a wild idea to canoe from Frome to Avoncliffe - that's on hold as I haven't a suitable canoe and at low flow a lot of the river isn't canoeable anyway.

The only advantage of a coracle (work of the devil) is that it will float on a damp sock. Making the Frome viable.