CRT estate manager

emlclcy

Featured Posts

sorry it is on the off side, we had some piling work done recently and has resulted in a strip of 'no mans land' becoming available. just wanted to find out if I could lease / buy it

sorry it is on the off side, we had some piling work done recently and has resulted in a strip of 'no mans land' becoming available. just wanted to find out if I could lease / buy it

Isn't there some law that says if you live on it for long enough, you can claim it? ;)

Isn't there some law that says if you live on it for long enough, you can claim it? wink.png

Used to be called 'squatters rights' now "Adverse possession"

You don't have to live on it, just fence around the boundary, maintain it and don't pay any rent for it - I believe it has now been reduced to 15 years. If you have had the benefit of it for that period, no one has contested you being there in that period and you have not paid any rent in that period you can 'claim it'

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I know someone who did just that, he bought 15acres of land, put a barn up and lived in it. now he has a full right to be there. lovely chap, lives in a time warp bit like jack hargreves from out of town (Hampshire people will know who I mean)

I know someone who did just that, he bought 15acres of land, put a barn up and lived in it. now he has a full right to be there. lovely chap, lives in a time warp bit like jack hargreves from out of town (Hampshire people will know who I mean)

Not quite the same - if you buy the land you own it, with adverse possession you 'steal' if from the owner for 15 years and if they don't 'squeal' than you clam it as yours without paying for it.

Your 'mate' just tried to get around the planning regs.

There was a similar case recently where a guy built a 'huge' house, then built a hay-stack around it to hide it, - long story short - he will now be spending time in jail unless he demolishes it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11984323/Farmer-who-hid-castle-behind-hay-bales-says-he-cant-knock-it-down-as-bats-have-moved-in.html

There are not only 'piss-takers' on the canals.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

interesting article. reminds me of the chap in a narrowboat who cut a channel off the cut moored his boat then back filled just to avoid river license! It was well bizarre when we cruise past it

It was 15, but on googling it it seems to have come down to 12 years now,

Prior to the coming into force of the Land Registration Act 2002, a squatter could acquire the right to be registered as proprietor of a registered estate if they had been in adverse possession of the land for a minimum of 12 years. However, the doctrine of adverse possession did not fit easily with the concept of indefeasibility of title that underlies the system of land registration. Nor could it be justified by the uncertainties as to ownership which can arise where land is unregistered; the legal estate is vested in the registered proprietor and they are identified in the register.

The Land Registration Act 2002 has created a new regime that applies only to registered land. This new regime is set out in Schedule 6 to the Act. It makes it more likely that a registered proprietor will be able to prevent an application for adverse possession of their land being completed. The following paragraphs provide a brief overview of the new regime; the remaining sections of this guide discuss it in more detail.

Things change and if you are intending to make a claim get a good lawyer and read he following :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/adverse-possession-of-registered-land/practice-guide-4-adverse-possession-of-registered-land

My claim of almost 30 years ago has only been completed in the last couple of years.

(I claimed 5 acres of land adjacent to existing land I owned)

It was 15, but on googling it it seems to have come down to 12 years now,

Prior to the coming into force of the Land Registration Act 2002, a squatter could acquire the right to be registered as proprietor of a registered estate if they had been in adverse possession of the land for a minimum of 12 years.....

If you'd read on you'd have seen...

after 10 years’ adverse possession, the squatter will be entitled to apply to be registered as proprietor in place of the registered proprietor of the land

The change in law does make it harder than when I did it to a patch of coppice at the end of my garden as the registered owner has a right to object.

I put up a fence, took a photo of myself on the land holding a newspaper, lodged an intention to apply for adverse possession with my tame solicitor then waited 12 years before contacting the land registry.

I provided the link so anyone interested could 'read on'

The change in law does make it harder than when I did it to a patch of coppice at the end of my garden as the registered owner has a right to object.

I put up a fence, took a photo of myself on the land holding a newspaper, lodged an intention to apply for adverse possession with my tame solicitor then waited 12 years before contacting the land registry.

Yes - those old newspaper archives (where you can buy old issues of newspapers) are a godsend.

I provided the link so anyone interested could 'read on'

Yes - those old newspaper archives (where you can buy old issues of newspapers) are a godsend.

But if you had read on you would have seen that the time period had been 12 years but reduced to 10.

I wasn't aware of old newspaper archives back then (way before internet) but the photograph and statement was validated by the envelope signed, sealed and witnessed in front of a solicitor, not the presence of a newspaper.

Edited by carlt

Lincolnshire person here I remember Jack brilliant programme I bet all recordings have been lost.

I believe that the church has lost acres of land to this local builders are canny.

Lincolnshire person here I remember Jack brilliant programme I bet all recordings have been lost.

I believe that the church has lost acres of land to this local builders are canny.

Available on amazon as a box set, I've been meaning to treat myself to it for ages Edited by tree monkey

You need to find out for sure who owns the strip of land. Ring Land Registry and explain you need to do a search of the Index Map for this site. If it is indeed I allocated then simply put a fence around it and start 'maintaining' it. It's it's owned then you'll have to negotiate with the owner.

interesting article. reminds me of the chap in a narrowboat who cut a channel off the cut moored his boat then back filled just to avoid river license! It was well bizarre when we cruise past it

Two sites like that, one sth Oxford and one nth Oxford. The nth ox one has just dug into offside land big time for two boats.

Hi Does anyone know who to contact regarding purchasing a strip of towpath?

Its on the K&A.

cheers

carl

In my area (East and West Midlands) the title of the person officially dealing with CRT interests in property use and development. is the 'AREA PLANNER' based at Newark.

I guess the same title will be used in other areas.