Barging Around Britain new series starts tonight.

Flyboy

Featured Posts

I don't have a telly so I doubt I will see it but John Sargent came on one of my boats through Limehouse Lock from the Thames into the marina last august with cameras everywhere. I just wanted to get off the River as I had been on the waiting pontoon for hours. Mr S turned up lookng suitably dapper and I gave him permission to come aboard :rolleyes:

I was concerned they may cut my boat out as it is far too scruffy!! I was a bit upset as well because I keep my ropes tidy (the only tidy thing) but a 'helper' flung my forward starboard rope onto the cabin top and I was unable to leave it tidy. Disappointing really.

Enjoyed the Rochdale Canal episode last night, though it did skip lightly along the canal itself, spending more time on the industry. No shot of my boat at the summit rolleyes.gif.

I want a pair of clogs - used to wear them years ago.

spillind odit.

Edited by Jim Riley

Managed to remember to fire up the free to air satellite and watch it this week, as not available on terrestrial up here in the Republic of the Krankies.

Nice to see the grotty bits at the star of his journey as well as the pritty bits later on, reminder of what the canal was for.

I wonder how many corduroy had to be skinned to make that pair of trouserslaugh.png

Enjoyed the Rochdale Canal episode last night, though it did skip lightly along the canal itself, spending more time on the industry. No shot of my boat at the summit rolleyes.gif.

I want a pair of clogs - used to wear them years ago.

spillind odit.

That's what the program is about, not boating, that's just a means to an end.

i guess its difficult when making a programme which is only on for 30 mins to cover all things to all people....as ditchcrawler says the boat is a means to an end and thats why i enjoy watching it as its a small insight into what we are expecting our future on the water to hold. our wb will be the place we return to in comfort after a day of exploring what ever is around our mooring be it nature or history. I do however think as i have said on here before that they should do a series on a real boating couples year on the water which should include warts and all as I'm sure its not all plain sailing pardon the pun

The guy walking along the towpath who knew all about snails and the weed it eats, was a genuine bloke, who just happened to be there, along with his daughter, who didn't feature. Amazing editing to keep her out of shot. Mr Sargent just fired off this random question at this random guy and got a really sensible answer, everybody present was amazed. Fortunately the camera guy filmed it all.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

PS I never wear gloves, except on very special occasions., I have always preferred to be able to feel what I'm touching. Its worked for the last 50yrs so I'm carrying on. I think I'm winning so far, compared to my contemporaneities. Gloves make you think your safe, and you take a firm grip and Ouch! Only really expensive ones would save you and then you cant pick things up!

PPS tempting fate!!! BUT NOT CAUGHT YET!

The guy walking along the towpath who knew all about snails and the weed it eats, was a genuine bloke, who just happened to be there, along with his daughter, who didn't feature. Amazing editing to keep her out of shot. Mr Sargent just fired off this random question at this random guy and got a really sensible answer, everybody present was amazed. Fortunately the camera guy filmed it all.

--

Cheers Ian Mac

We were stuck aground in a lock on the K&A and a walker happened along to help wrestle on the ropes etc. "What we need is someone with a PhD in physics" I mused as we tried to get the best angles to pull. "Funny you should say that" said he.

Didn't help, though. "I think you needed someone with a PhD in engineering" he added after more struggling.