Rust treatment

Bright Angel

Featured Posts

This may have been covered elsewhere if so apologies in advance. I have rust spots/bubbles appearing beneath 9 year old paintwork. Before I go the whole hog and repaint, what is the best rust treatment to apply to the cleaned metal. Have tried Kurerust from Halfords but it was next to useless (sorry Halfords) and rust came back worse after 1 winter. I did overcoat with red primer and have been told that as this is porous I might have made it worse. Any advice appreciated.

hi bright angel ...check out .rust bullit ..i used this in my gas locker and engine room .and it done a great job ..but i dont now how it would work on paint work what would have to be polished ...

I've just bought five litres of 85% phosphoric acid off eBay. My plan is to dilute it down to 10% and use it as toilet descaler, but it occurs to me that it can be used as a rust treatment too.

Any advice on doing so? What concentration, how long to leave before overcoating?

Kurust or Vactan etc....are fine..but they will only react with rust.

That means that any shiny metal or remaining paint...will just have a 'skin' which doesn't adhere well.

The best way is to clean the metal back...treat it with Kurust etc or whatever..this will stabilise and convert rust. ...then (when COMPLETELY DRY) lightly wire brush it so that any skin is removed.

Coat it with an 'etch primer' of some sort to get proper adhesion to the bare metal parts.

Once properly dry...use a proper undercoat and then your top coat.

If you do not wish to use a top coat at this point...buy some 'leftover' car paint of some sort (cheap)...and use that to seal it.

As has been said...many primers are porous....as are body fillers.

Edited by Bobbybass

If you really have got back to bare metal, or 99% bare metal, then you do not need rust treatment, it is probably even counter productive, you should use a good primer. A few people, myself included, are rather addicted to Bondaprimer.

Bondaprimer is much more waterproof than most others, but getting several coats of paint on top of it before too long is still required.

..............Dave