6 volt Battery Bank

mark99

Featured Posts

We have 8 rolls batteries 6 volt wired to give 12v. They need replacing. However the size of each battery is 180 wide by 258 long by 250 high.

I can't find a Rolls replacement this size anymore (all seem to have got bigger) hence are looking for something this size or slightly smaller as our space is tight. Any info sources recommended?

Some one here created a battery size calculator where you put your box dimensions in and it would show what batteries would fit. I'll see if I can find the link.

Here's the link - http://www.kufluk.org/batterySelector.html

Original thread - http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82180, and thank you to system 4-50 for creating.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

Some one here created a battery size calculator where you put your box dimensions in and it would show what batteries would fit. I'll see if I can find the link.

Original thread - http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82180, and thank you to system 4-50 for creating.

Trojan T105s seem a near identical size although it depends on how you are measuring the height, the height for a T105 is 246 for the main body but if you include the terminals it goes up to 283, or around 273 depending on which terminal type you go for.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/T105_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

Edited by nicknorman

Mark

What Rolls batteries are you looking at getting as they have a lot to chose from they do a 4000/4500 and a 5000 series batteries and what AH are you looking at in a 6v

Series 4000 replacing like for like so to fit in tight slot available also to save fannying around with connections.

I believe I have 8* S-290's.

No obvious model number on this image below however the size seems spot on.

IMAG2011_zps4f43c07a.jpg

Try this lot they have a deal on at the moment they are cheaper than most

http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/Rolls_Solar/Rolls_6v_290

Oooh thanks. The original set are circa 10 years old and have been abused a bit. I think some cells are dead but up till now the bank has always given us good service but lately, the performance has fallen down with lo battery alarm going off in the morning and lots of gassing (co alarms going off).

Edited by mark99

At £129,thats about the price you would have expected to pay for a Trojan T105 3 or 4 years ago. Same size, 4kg heavier, probably worth the extra £30 per battery.

But interesting slightly fewer AH and less cycle life, eg at 50% DoD the Rolls is claiming about 1400 cycles whilst the Trojan is showing 1600. That is of course if you believe such figures - for either of them!

But interesting slightly fewer AH and less cycle life, eg at 50% DoD the Rolls is claiming about 1400 cycles whilst the Trojan is showing 1600. That is of course if you believe such figures - for either of them!

What's safe procedure for removal and install? perhaps I'll do some searching later but any golden rules? I'm fairly competent diy'er but electrics are a vague fog to me.

Edited by mark99

What's safe procedure for removal and install? perhaps I'll do some searching later but any golden rules? I'm fairly competent diy'er but electrics are a vague fog to me.

There are two schools of thought here.

Switch off the Isolator then disconnect the negative post first.

Advantages You cannot accidentally short out your spanner to the hull.

Disadvantages If anything remains connected despite the isolator being off then if there are ANY stray earth paths equipment can be destroyed.

Switch off the Isolator then disconnect the positive post first.

Advantages Nothing can remain connected regardless of the isolator position and regardless of any stray earth paths.

Disadvantages You can accidentally short out your spanner to the hull whilst disconnecting the positive battery terminal.

Contributors argue strongly in favour of both of the above approaches. You can make your own decision.

Reconnecting is simply the reverse of whichever method you have chosen.

Wow! Praise the lord for obsessive geeks! The world needs more of them.

Edit: Apologies for the religious post above ninja.gif

Edited by Dave_P

There are lots of negative and positive posts. I assume you mean disconn the main "feed" posts heading to the isolator first.

Can I get into a muddle when undoing the other subsequent posts?

The image shows the layout.

bbjpeg_zps4d2253c3.jpeg

There are lots of negative and positive posts. I assume you mean disconn the main "feed" posts heading to the isolator first.

Can I get into a muddle when undoing the other subsequent posts?

The image shows the layout.

bbjpeg_zps4d2253c3.jpeg

Oh you've done it now, the hordes will be on here in a minute telling you your topology is sub-optimal. But just ignore them!

Yes.

Oh you've done it now, the hordes will be on here in a minute telling you your topology is sub-optimal. But just ignore them!

it sucks but so what.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

posted 10th April on here,,,,,

Just to say,, just replaced my domestic batteries, 8 x 6 volt USS 2200,, last lot lasted 8years,, boat used for 6 months every summer only,, on mains in winter 3 stage Stirling,

New batteries arrived on Tuesday, great service from Tanya batteries, fitted, oh yes, they did come with the nuts and spares, but could not say what the thread was,, real odd ball that. and a carry handle..

No problems, in and working , on float charge now, seem great.

Trouble is now got a lot of spare ballast with the old batteries, 8 x6 volts a lot of weight, anybody like them,,, free

Oooh thanks. The original set are circa 10 years old and have been abused a bit. I think some cells are dead but up till now the bank has always given us good service but lately, the performance has fallen down with lo battery alarm going off in the morning and lots of gassing (co alarms going off).

It may be worth splitting them up, you may just have one cell down out of all of them

It may be worth splitting them up, you may just have one cell down out of all of them

10 year old.

I will tape up the spanner as there is nowt but metal down the battery 'ole.

No I undo the main terminals - what undo sequence for about each others? take one battery out at a time?

Edited by mark99